0   0   0
This is what I have gathered

My dream CUC would consist of:
3 Nassarius
4 Halloween Hermits with lots of shells
2- Chocolate Chip Stars
1- Pincushion Urchin
and not for CUC purposes two fire shrimp
I know I can get everything here in Australia but the Choc Chip Starfish I am not sure about.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you have, I like euphyllia
All kinds
20200520_182852_HDR.jpg

As for Halloween hermit crabs playing nice with snails, they will. They only go after flat slit shells like those from conches so all other snails are safe. For any hermit crabs provide empty shells for them to switch to and keep them well fed. That will stop them killing snails for their shells.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kinds
20200520_182852_HDR.jpg

As for Halloween hermit crabs playing nice with snails, they will. They only go after flat slit shells like those from conches so all other snails are safe. For any hermit crabs provide empty shells for them to switch to and keep them well fed. That will stop them killing snails for their shells.
Your tank looks awesome, it reminds me of the rainbow, what equipment do you run and do you know if choc chip starfish are available in Australia

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks awesome, it reminds me of the rainbow, what equipment do you run and do you know if choc chip starfish are available in Australia
Never mind, I found Halloween hermits but they are all sold out and I do.not know if they are coming back, what about yellow legged hermits?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a refugium, uv sterilizer, and 2 part dosing with dosing pumps, very simple set up.

I would skip the chocolate star, not many people have long term success with them as they have a complicated diet (algae, anemones, gorgonians, soft corals, sponges, clams, urchins, tube worms, and even sleeping fish) but it is somewhat possible to keep one happy for a while with proper feeding.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a refugium, uv sterilizer, and 2 part dosing with dosing pumps, very simple set up.

I would skip the chocolate star, not many people have long term success with them as they have a complicated diet (algae, anemones, gorgonians, soft corals, sponges, clams, urchins, tube worms, and even sleeping fish) but it is somewhat possible to keep one happy for a while with proper feeding.
I might not even find one, but if I do, I will be sure to supplement it's diet to the best I can

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C
I might not even find one, but if I do, I will be sure to supplement it's diet to the best I can
Cannot find one, I will have a urchin though so I guess that's algae taken care of. Urchins are cuter though, I like how they camoflauge themselves in algae and debres

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C
Cannot find one, I will have a urchin though so I guess that's algae taken care of. Urchins are cuter though, I like how they camoflauge themselves in algae and debres
So for a 40 gallon Fowlr
-Pincushion Urchin
- 3 Nassarius
- 4 Yellow Foot Hermit Crabs (With shells)
- Copepods.
I do.not plan on feeding any of them unless when I feed mysis the crabs and snails come running out.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one piece of advice....remember plan ahead for the future. Don’t make it so you can’t add coral in the future. Get a skimmer.

EVERY FOWLR SHOULD BE REEF READY. They don’t need to have corals in them. But they should be ready for them

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one piece of advice....remember plan ahead for the future. Don’t make it so you can’t add coral in the future. Get a skimmer.

EVERY FOWLR SHOULD BE REEF READY. They don’t need to have corals in them. But they should be ready for them
I agree, I was gonna get everything for a Fowlr and every accessory (Apex, Senate etc) then buy some coral things just in case I did. I would only want Zoas as only they really appeal to me and I know the current USA IC pros are good for them but I don't think softies need that much more then what's already needed for a Fowlr.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I was gonna get everything for a Fowlr and every accessory (Apex, Senate etc) then buy some coral things just in case I did. I would only want Zoas as only they really appeal to me and I know the current USA IC pros are good for them but I don't think softies need that much more then what's already needed for a Fowlr.

That’s what I’m saying. I am setting up a FOWLR too. I did the HOB set up and sold it off. Reason is if a Seachem tidal can’t keep up in a planted tank why would it keep up in a salt tank?

Then I thought about every time I’ve ever done HOB I’ve always been extremely disappointed. Later I’d switch to a canister.

After all the stories I’ve heard there’s no way I’m doing a canister for salt water. The OP can get a 20 gallon tank and just put a protein skimmer, chemi pure and a return pump and IMO still be better off.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m saying. I am setting up a FOWLR too. I did the HOB set up and sold it off. Reason is if a Seachem tidal can’t keep up in a planted tank why would it keep up in a salt tank?

Then I thought about every time I’ve ever done HOB I’ve always been extremely disappointed. Later I’d switch to a canister.

After all the stories I’ve heard there’s no way I’m doing a canister for salt water. The OP can get a 20 gallon tank and just put a protein skimmer, chemi pure and a return pump and IMO still be better off.
My tank is already filled and I can't drain It to drill and I do.not know if it is tempered and I do not know if HOB overflows are trustworthy considering I have heard mixed results. Under my stand I also only have 17x17x20" under my stand.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is already filled and I can't drain It to drill and I do.not know if it is tempered and I do not know if HOB overflows are trustworthy considering I have heard mixed results. Under my stand I also only have 17x17x20" under my stand.

Yeah I wouldn’t trust overflows that are hob either

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
What should I do

If I were you and I was doing all HOB I would make sure I Pick what it is that most important to me.

So for me that would be:
1. Clean water (good skimmer)
2. Clear water ( canister filter w/ carbon or chemi pure)
3. Algae control (algae reactor)

Get a good canister filter and put a Aqua UV sterilizer on the return. One end hooks up to the canister filter, the other hangs over the tank and actually acts as a return pipe. I’d also run the best hob skimmer you can get like a Deltec or Aquamaxx. If this was me I’d make an algae reactor for like $100 and just run it into the tank.

Or

You can get an EShopps sump that would fit in your stand (it’s the EShopps nano sump, even has a refugium). I’d then run a decent skimmer like a small aquamaxx that would fit perfectly. Id run the Fuge that’s built in so you wouldn’t need the algae reactor. From there I’d Remove water and fish and drill it on the sides. Just do it. You will be so happy you did. It’s so easy. Once you see how easy it is you won’t hesitate to drill your return.

Again I am setting up my first FOWLR so don’t take my explanation as gospel. But I’ve done a ton of research and have Lots of fresh water experience.

Others will chime in I’m sure. Just remember to have fun while doing this and don’t get frustrated. There’s many different ways to skin a cat

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back