Reef or Fowlr Aquarium

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you and I was doing all HOB I would make sure I Pick what it is that most important to me.

So for me that would be:
1. Clean water (good skimmer)
2. Clear water ( canister filter w/ carbon or chemi pure)
3. Algae control (algae reactor)

Get a good canister filter and put a Aqua UV sterilizer on the return. One end hooks up to the canister filter, the other hangs over the tank and actually acts as a return pipe. I’d also run the best hob skimmer you can get like a Deltec or Aquamaxx. If this was me I’d make an algae reactor for like $100 and just run it into the tank.

Or

You can get an EShopps sump that would fit in your stand (it’s the EShopps nano sump, even has a refugium). I’d then run a decent skimmer like a small aquamaxx that would fit perfectly. Id run the Fuge that’s built in so you wouldn’t need the algae reactor. From there I’d Remove water and fish and drill it on the sides. Just do it. You will be so happy you did. It’s so easy. Once you see how easy it is you won’t hesitate to drill your return.

Again I am setting up my first FOWLR so don’t take my explanation as gospel. But I’ve done a ton of research and have Lots of fresh water experience.

Others will chime in I’m sure. Just remember to have fun while doing this and don’t get frustrated. There’s many different ways to skin a cat
I do not have anywhere to put the water but good explanation and is a reef octopus HOB protein skimmers good? Aquamaxx is sold out every here in Australia and will copepods die in the algae reacter? I have done slot of research and there's the YouTube's who say canisters are fine then the forum people who suggest sumps (Not everyone) so would a fx4 be sufficient?

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you and I was doing all HOB I would make sure I Pick what it is that most important to me.

So for me that would be:
1. Clean water (good skimmer)
2. Clear water ( canister filter w/ carbon or chemi pure)
3. Algae control (algae reactor)

Get a good canister filter and put a Aqua UV sterilizer on the return. One end hooks up to the canister filter, the other hangs over the tank and actually acts as a return pipe. I’d also run the best hob skimmer you can get like a Deltec or Aquamaxx. If this was me I’d make an algae reactor for like $100 and just run it into the tank.

Or

You can get an EShopps sump that would fit in your stand (it’s the EShopps nano sump, even has a refugium). I’d then run a decent skimmer like a small aquamaxx that would fit perfectly. Id run the Fuge that’s built in so you wouldn’t need the algae reactor. From there I’d Remove water and fish and drill it on the sides. Just do it. You will be so happy you did. It’s so easy. Once you see how easy it is you won’t hesitate to drill your return.

Again I am setting up my first FOWLR so don’t take my explanation as gospel. But I’ve done a ton of research and have Lots of fresh water experience.

Others will chime in I’m sure. Just remember to have fun while doing this and don’t get frustrated. There’s many different ways to skin a cat
[/QUOTE
I have a couple zebra danios

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef, in my first year I've had way more success in keeping coral alive than fish. One lost coral, seven dead fish.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish and coral did you have?
The coral I lost was actually a Xenia.

The coral I have are GSP, Goniopora, Favia, (3) Ricordia, Cyphastria and a Monti.

Oh and the GSP I've had for a year and haven't noticed any growth on it. All other coral have noticeable growth.

The fish I lost were: (3) Bangaii Cardinal, Solarance Wrasse, Royal gramma, Chalk Bass and a Tailspot Blenny.

The fish I currently have are: Possum Wrasse, Yellow Tail Blenny, Orchid Dottyback and a Firefish.

I don't want to say this, but I think I've actually turned the corner on the fish. I'm only getting pre-quarantined fish from now on. Tried quarantine methods myself, obviously failed and consumed a lot of my time doing so including two follow periods on my one year old tank.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The coral I have are GSP, Goniopora, Favia, (3) Ricordia, Cyphastria and a Monti.

Oh and the GSP I've had for a year and haven't noticed any growth on it. All other coral have noticeable growth.

The fish I lost were: (3) Bangaii Cardinal, Solarance Wrasse, Royal gramma, Chalk Bass and a Tailspot Blenny.

The fish I currently have are: Possum Wrasse, Yellow Tail Blenny, Orchid Dottyback and a Firefish.

I don't want to say this, but I think I've actually turned the corner on the fish. I'm only getting pre-quarantined fish from now on. Tried quarantine methods myself, obviously failed and consumed a lot of my time doing so including two follow periods on my one year old tank.
I thought GSP polyps grew very fast

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fowlr or Cowlr?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought GSP polyps grew very fast
That's what I thought!

It hasn't grown off of it's plug. It's green and looks healthy. I have it on the sand bed in the back of my tank hoping it would grow up the wall. Maybe it's the location?

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought!

It hasn't grown off of it's plug. It's green and looks healthy. I have it on the sand bed in the back of my tank hoping it would grow up the wall. Maybe it's the location?
Who knows? Do you have clownfish?

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to have a reef on a budget you definitely definitely do not need an apex or a seneye for a 40 breeder reef. I know I’ve only been keeping saltwater tanks for three months (several quarantine tanks, tanks with live rock and now finally assembling into a proper display tank) but you can find a lot of build threads where people have successful reefs for years without those very expensive pieces of equipment.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to have a reef on a budget you definitely definitely do not need an apex or a seneye for a 40 breeder reef. I know I’ve only been keeping saltwater tanks for three months (several quarantine tanks, tanks with live rock and now finally assembling into a proper display tank) but you can find a lot of build threads where people have successful reefs for years without those very expensive pieces of equipment.
I just want to have a aquarium that lasts years.

Back