REEF OUT OF WATER! Check out this video! Big deal or nah?

Are your corals ever subjected to the open air with no water for water changes or tank maintenance?

• Yes and I wish I had planned my aquascape better

Votes: 42 11.6%
  • Yes even though I planned my aquascape for the possibilty

Votes: 113 31.1%
  • No as I planned for this not to happen

Votes: 89 24.5%
  • No not yet and I haven't planned for it

Votes: 95 26.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 24 6.6%

• Total voters

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have monti caps that are out of water every week. Typically 30-45minutes max but I will splash a little water on them to keep them damp. The purple monti cap is growing right to the waters surface so doing any maintenance and it’s automatically being exposed to air to some extent.

I guess the top of the tank is a bad spot for montis but I love them when looking too down

AF07B521-E201-4E76-9BFC-6DCA2F3B50EC.jpeg

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1620312887797.png

Ran across this gem of video from @rachelsreef on IG and thought it would make for an interesting QOTD today! She shot this video from @TopShelfAquatics so props to them as well for the amazing system. So let's talk about our coral and them being out of water!

1. Are your corals ever subjected to the open air with no water due to water changes or tank maintenance?

2. How long are you comfortable with allowing your corals to be "out of the water?"

3. Did you plan your aquascape to factor in the probability that your coral may at times be exposed to the open air?

1620312887797.png

Ran across this gem of video from @rachelsreef on IG and thought it would make for an interesting QOTD today! She shot this video from @TopShelfAquatics so props to them as well for the amazing system. So let's talk about our coral and them being out of water!

1. Are your corals ever subjected to the open air with no water due to water changes or tank maintenance?

2. How long are you comfortable with allowing your corals to be "out of the water?"

3. Did you plan your aquascape to factor in the probability that your coral may at times be exposed to the open air?

No big deal leaving Acro’s exposed to the air for an hour or two, but I never take that long for a water change.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned my rocks at the 2/3 level leaving the upper 1/3 for growth. At this time no coral is out of the water while performing water changes. That may change as the corals grow and that's why I can perform the 35 gal water change in 1/2 hour. I sure I could even speed that up but am not currently concerned!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've accidentally left a colony out of the water when fragging it. It sat on my work station for 4 hours before I realized it. I put it back in, and it browned out a bit, but recovered within 2 weeks. I'm comfortable with corals being out of the water for up to an hour, after that I would be very concerned. I took this pic during a water change. All corals are out of the water here.

Low Tide.png
They are even more colorful out of water. Absoloutely ridiculous!

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals are fine being out of water for a few minutes. ( Most sponges being the exception)
Just to be safe, I splash water on them, but It's not really necessary.

There should have been a choice in the poll "Yes and I'm fine with it"

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have monti caps that are out of water every week. Typically 30-45minutes max but I will splash a little water on them to keep them damp. The purple monti cap is growing right to the waters surface so doing any maintenance and it’s automatically being exposed to air to some extent.

I guess the top of the tank is a bad spot for montis but I love them when looking too down

AF07B521-E201-4E76-9BFC-6DCA2F3B50EC.jpeg
I won't even have Monti caps they are like a weed start them at the bottom and before long at the top and over grow everything in their way

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being out of water for and SPS is no big deal. I'm comfortable with is for an hour or more. What DOES matter is they stay damp/moist.
Being out of water for and SPS is no big deal. I'm comfortable with is for an hour or more. What DOES matter is they stay damp/moist.
Agree but how can the corals be moist or damp without submerged in water for an hour?

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to answer "Other". My corals are out of the water during water changes, but I don't give a second thought to it. I don't think it's an issue personally and while I don't keep high end stuff, I have never noticed any issues. My tanks are smaller, and so a water change is usually pretty quick [20mins max].

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes
2. 5 minutes
3. Yes

Attachments

• cambio04.jpg
    cambio04.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 26
  • cambio03.jpg
    cambio03.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 28
  • cambio02.jpg
    cambio02.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 25
  • cambio01.jpg
    cambio01.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 31

Paheej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two trumpets, anthelia, palys, and zoas near the top of my tank and leave them out of water for up to and hour at a time during big waterchanges. They do great. I also like to use a bucket for dumping water back into the tank. I have a book on coral husbandry which states that coral growth was most accelerated in experiments using dump buckets rather than traditional . . . less rambunctious water changes. Voted Other as it's a feature not a bug.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, i don't believe it hurts them. look at a reef at dead low tide.
I agree, many reef tracts are exposed to air for extended periods during low tide, and it has no negative impact on them at all.

Low Tide.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 Yes,

#2 Depends on the species.

#3 I plan my aquascaping to be an interesting foundation for my corals. Since I keep my systems for years if not decades I expect some of my corals, depending on the species, to grow to the surface.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of these animals live in tidal zones. Of course, it depends on the species and specimen, but I'd assume that an SPS that's used to 400+ PAR in nature is towards the top of the water line and might be exposed to air during low tide.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes

2-3 hours, not that it ever takes that long.

no. my scape breaks the water surface before water changes.
I've got blasto's, leathers, zoas & nems that are all out of the water every week during a water change. non issue.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look back to old coral textbooks, and older photos of people working on coral reefs, corals regularly are pictured above the water line. I can’t imagine it’s a problem. This picture was 2016, but there’s other from even further back.

03B7114A-E981-4939-8776-625C6D070670.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back