reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ssh into your raspberry pi and type this in a terminal:
Code:
sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service

You dont need anything special for temperature probe. If you want pm me your gmail/google id and we can do a quick hangout/video chat to fix this
I think theres something mis-configured in your setup. If noth temperature and ato is not working then its unlikely due to a reef-pi bug.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powered by reef-pi :)
41C391AC-AA62-4E6E-8420-ACE6C6CC442A.jpeg
ACCCDEF6-A67A-4B71-A76F-0B3BA9AB05EE.jpeg
93C6C5F4-EAD2-48B1-84A2-A79E0B01CC5E.jpeg
E6BF3E8C-0B8E-4A86-BCF0-1FF0237E3028.jpeg
C1294BAD-2429-4DBF-BF57-81F23961D3C9.jpeg
B0683016-BD4A-4A22-97E2-AD09489FA926.jpeg

62707278-AA29-40AF-B34A-65B15E1B5527.jpeg

dburg30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think theres something mis-configured in your setup. If noth temperature and ato is not working then its unlikely due to a reef-pi bug.
Pi setup or reef-pi setup? Do you use the config file anymore or is it all thru the database? I reinstalled pi OS, reinstalled reef pi to .9.. There is supposed to be no other setup needed for it to see the temp probe? I have it installed on the pin you ask for. I dunno.. I may have to try to do a hangout or something, but hate not being able to figure out something myself.. I figured the temp probe would be the easiest thing going lol

dburg30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I went in and turned off stuff in the system section that I wasnt using.. And now the temp page allowed me to update it.. and it now shows it running... Now... Where do I see my temps haha..

edit: Well the graph showed up.. so I guess that's working now!!!!

edit 2:... Now the temp is gone... /facepalm.
edit 3: because I'm an impatient person.. LOL need to let it cycle thru the 1 minute period..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I went in and turned off stuff in the system section that I wasnt using.. And now the temp page allowed me to update it.. and it now shows it running... Now... Where do I see my temps haha..

edit: Well the graph showed up.. so I guess that's working now!!!!

edit 2:... Now the temp is gone... /facepalm.
edit 3: because I'm an impatient person.. LOL need to let it cycle thru the 1 minute period..
:) it will take some time to get used to these things, troubleshooting skills take some time. Believe me, in professional circle it takes months for folks to acquire these skills. Don’t worry if it does not work in the first go. Focus on learning and don’t give up. There’s no problem or shame in doing a hangout to learn things. I have no doubt you can learn this by yourself as well, a 1:1 session will just speed up the process , that’s all.

There’s nothing in reef pi that is controlled by config file. It’s all UI driven. The trick to troubleshoot is to perform individual actions via ui and check the corresponding log in terminal, and ensure they are in sync and if there’s something wrong, fix it

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
I have release reef-pi 0.9 . Highlight of this release is "Alert" capabilities. reef-pi can now be configured to send email alert (in US this can also be used to send text/sms alerts) if reef-pi detects critical aspects of the tank or the controller is out of bound. As of now, alerts are integrated with temperature (outside a specified range), ato (pump running longer than expected) and cpu/memory consumption (above a maximum threshold) . Email settings (smtp server, username, password etc) are configured along side telemetry (adafruit.io) under configuration tab.
This release also fixed and updated the UI test (i had shared the video couple of pages earlier) and couple of bug fixes.
One of the breaking changes of this release is that users have to re-specify their adafruit.io settings , since they are moved /clubbed with alert settings under a dedicated "telemetry" section inside configuration tab.

Note: this is the last release with any new feature for 1.0. From now on reef-pi will only have bug fixes or UI improvements (i.e. 0.9.x series) till we hit 1.0 release. New features (ph/doser/wave maker) will be based of 1.0 branch and will start appearing on 1.x series.

Release packages can be found in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/0.9

happy reefing,

Question - Will any further updates from here continue to wipe the DB? I only want to set up my outlets once since I have 16 to set up.

So I'm putting together a list for Santa, and I want to include some components for upcoming tank enhancements.
Currently I do not have any dosing. Which modules support control from reef-pi (are they pwm or on/off)? I love the price point and generally postive reviews of the jebao, but I am not sure if it can be integrated into the system. Otherwise, has anyone run and DIY peristaltic?
Also, what are the planned sensor probes? Are they going to be planned to use Atlas probes/stamps?

I have a Jebao doser, no complaints todate. I run a lot of Jebao products actually.

815reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question - Will any further updates from here continue to wipe the DB? I only want to set up my outlets once since I have 16 to set up.

I have a Jebao doser, no complaints todate. I run a lot of Jebao products actually.
I just received my jebao doser. Tried calibrating it and each pump would dose over a different amount. Did you have any problems calibrating it?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope. Db schema changes are final for 1.0

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I update to .9 and then when 1.0 comes out I won't have to reset my timers and outlets?
No you don’t have to . You should be fine . You have to update your telemetry settings (adafruit.io user/token) with 0.9

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my jebao doser. Tried calibrating it and each pump would dose over a different amount. Did you have any problems calibrating it?

From what i observed my first time:

Took a few seconds for each pump to pull liquid up the lines and start to empty into a vessel. Was able to calibrate correctly by
Setting up my lines up first each had an out and in line.
Then calibrating each one till it formed a very slow stream out.
Then went back and calibrated each one to the 100ml.

I then timed my pumps to go off shortly afterwards for 5ml and used an api test tube to verify they were on their mark.

There was some differences with times it took for each pump as far as seconds/100ml

815reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Took a few seconds for each pump to pull liquid up the lines and start to empty into a vessel. Was able to calibrate correctly by

I then timed my pumps to go off shortly afterwards for 5ml and used an api test tube to verify they were on their mark.

There was some differences with times it took for each pump as far as seconds/100ml
Yeah thats what i did primed the lines then reset the calibration to start and put it in the 500ml beaker till 100ml line. Than did like you but with a 10ml graduated cylinder to check them. 2 of the tubes in the pump were stuck together. I had to pull them apart and roll the tubong in my fingers to release them. So maybe i need to cycle them some more than re calibrate.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My thought around doeser module is pretty similar. I am also contemplating of using a etape to measure the dosing container liquid level , which will act as verification of how much liquid was poured

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice so it would be updated in reef-pi how much was left?
Yeah. It’s possible . What I am not sure is the performance of etape probes (that gives the level ) with all the two part / kalkwasser type liquids

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. It’s possible . What I am not sure is the performance of etape probes (that gives the level ) with all the two part / kalkwasser type liquids
There’s another approach I am considering, which involved using pi camera and do some image processing/neural networks analysis to deduce the liquid level. ..I’ll keep u all updated as and when I test these different approaches, these are the things that will keep me busy after 1.0 :)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like an interesting project. Read over the description of them. They are sheathed in PET? Wont be an issue with 2 part but kalkwasser, Lime, is used in the degradation of PET in recycling.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an interesting project. Read over the description of them. They are sheathed in PET? Wont be an issue with 2 part but kalkwasser, Lime, is used in the degradation of PET in recycling.
Yeah, I have the same concern as well, hence the image based alternate approach,

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back