reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have the same concern as well, hence the image based alternate approach,
I wonder if a time-of-flight sensor would get enough response from the liquid surface, acoustic would though I am not sure about optical.

Alternatively, you could use a non-contact sensor to determine when level was low.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was able to reproduce a nasty timer bug. Someone had mentioned this in the thread, so this was on my radar for post 0.9 release.
Anyway, I have fixed the bug, I’ll cut 0.9.1 release this weekend . After doing some more thorough testing .

Mendeln

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ranjib

first off all, amazing project !!

i hope you have good news for me xD
i am curious about the possibility to adapt the reef-pi software to run a freshwater aquarium.
temperatur and the switches to controll uv and led lights are allready there. how about to add a flowsensor (so that i know when i have to clean the filter)? or add an alarm when the uv light have more than 6000 hours of operation.

i know you dont add new features befor 1.0, but i hope you consider this in the future.

ps: sorry for my bad english...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ranjib

first off all, amazing project !!

i hope you have good news for me xD
i am curious about the possibility to adapt the reef-pi software to run a freshwater aquarium.
temperatur and the switches to controll uv and led lights are allready there. how about to add a flowsensor (so that i know when i have to clean the filter)? or add an alarm when the uv light have more than 6000 hours of operation.

i know you dont add new features befor 1.0, but i hope you consider this in the future.

ps: sorry for my bad english...
Flow monitoring is important for reef aquariums as well, both on display tank as well as from RO/DI system. I would certainly like to have some support for it in reef-pi. I would spend some time to investigate this in post 1.0, and if things go well, we may have some experimental module in 2.0 release, but this will be low priority (ph , doser will be high priority).
I also think having a reminder type functionality will be good, almost all equipments needs to be replaced at some time, and it will be nice if reef-pi can remind us regarding those. I am shipping the alert module in 1.0 , i think it will be trivial to add reminder type alerts based on the existing alert system. This, and arbitrary loggings (like saving different parameters after individual tests, water change times etc) are couple of easy but useful feature that I am thinking of introducing in post 1.0 release. I have to consolidate a lot of user feedback around this, before finalizing the UI/UX
thanks for the suggestion, keep them coming :)

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow monitoring is important for reef aquariums as well, both on display tank as well as from RO/DI system. I would certainly like to have some support for it in reef-pi. I would spend some time to investigate this in post 1.0, and if things go well, we may have some experimental module in 2.0 release, but this will be low priority (ph , doser will be high priority).
I also think having a reminder type functionality will be good, almost all equipments needs to be replaced at some time, and it will be nice if reef-pi can remind us regarding those. I am shipping the alert module in 1.0 , i think it will be trivial to add reminder type alerts based on the existing alert system. This, and arbitrary loggings (like saving different parameters after individual tests, water change times etc) are couple of easy but useful feature that I am thinking of introducing in post 1.0 release. I have to consolidate a lot of user feedback around this, before finalizing the UI/UX
thanks for the suggestion, keep them coming :)
I see those reminders being very useful for lots of things in our tanks, pump cleaning, filter media changeout, water changes, etc...

The more things that reef-pi implements, the more amazed I am. Both by what Ranjib can program in to this, and also by how much people are paying for APEX systems.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through all the documentation now.. one by one. Following is a tentative list of topics I plan to cover, across several guides, let me know what you think:
  1. General guides:
    1. Installation & configuration: From Rpi scratch to reef-pi installed and running
    2. Connectors: How to wire different type of jacks/connectors etc. Pros and con
    3. Housing: Some tips on building housing, project boxes or wooden
  2. Build guides
    1. Power controller: All about relays, equpiments & timers
    2. LED controller: PWM and lighting cycle setup
    3. Auto top off: float switches, photoelectric sensor and everything related to auto top off
    4. Temperature controller: DS18b20 setup, temperature controller setup etc.
  3. Extra topics:
    1. Telemetry: Adafruit io integration. Alert setup.
    2. Troubleshooting: ??
    3. Upgrade
    4. API: 1.0 api fully documented.

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through all the documentation now.. one by one. Following is a tentative list of topics I plan to cover, across several guides, let me know what you think:
  1. General guides:
    1. Installation & configuration: From Rpi scratch to reef-pi installed and running
    2. Connectors: How to wire different type of jacks/connectors etc. Pros and con
    3. Housing: Some tips on building housing, project boxes or wooden
  2. Build guides
    1. Power controller: All about relays, equpiments & timers
    2. LED controller: PWM and lighting cycle setup
    3. Auto top off: float switches, photoelectric sensor and everything related to auto top off
    4. Temperature controller: DS18b20 setup, temperature controller setup etc.
  3. Extra topics:
    1. Telemetry: Adafruit io integration. Alert setup.
    2. Troubleshooting: ??
    3. Upgrade
    4. API: 1.0 api fully documented.

looks like a great start to me!

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you also make a suggested shopping list? I’ve got my Pi3 but nothing else yet as I’d like some suggestions on what a should buy for bread boards, jumper wires, etc.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you also make a suggested shopping list? I’ve got my Pi3 but nothing else yet as I’d like some suggestions on what a should buy for bread boards, jumper wires, etc.
Yes. I’ll add that in the documentation list

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone else is using an led screen with the raspberry pi.

Command to install screensaver.

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver

Lets you set time period to black out the screen as well.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted external power buttons for heater, ato, and pumps. So 4 pumps are one 4 channel relay, with dedicated supply module, ato and heater on a 2 channel relay to their own supply. Each supply has an on/off button. Again i made this more complicated than needed to be lol.

But allows for turning on and off equipment for maintenance or feeding. and for the pi to remain in the display housing and visible and hiding everything else in their own project boxes out of view. I didnt know the optical probe would work on 3.3 so could remove that chip and just have it attached to the 3.3v pin on the psm.

I'm sure @Ranjib can add this option. My system I have macros which then affect set outlets (which are all configurable on the UI). I currently only have four outlets on my system but when I hit my feed macro it turns off my filters for 10mins and then turns them back on. My maintenance button turns off my set equipment until I hit the button again. I also have one for my lights and one that turns all four outlets off. I even have it that if some equipment need to be delayed until other equipment been running (discovered this with my old tank when my skimmer would turn on at the same time my return pump the water was to high in the skimmer department and caused it to go nuts) I can set that.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure @Ranjib can add this option. My system I have macros which then affect set outlets (which are all configurable on the UI). I currently only have four outlets on my system but when I hit my feed macro it turns off my filters for 10mins and then turns them back on. My maintenance button turns off my set equipment until I hit the button again. I also have one for my lights and one that turns all four outlets off. I even have it that if some equipment need to be delayed until other equipment been running (discovered this with my old tank when my skimmer would turn on at the same time my return pump the water was to high in the skimmer department and caused it to go nuts) I can set that.

I have this feature (marco or feed mode or programmable controller .. if you say so) slated for 2.0 release. I dig that skimmer splay use case (splay time is a popular jurgon word in software for delayed start).

But I like this approach as well :) having a mechanical switch and a dedicated power supply for the current heavy equipment has its own merit. Also the fact that this is DIY build, powered by opensource software/hardware gears makes such end user customization possible. I hoped this will be very helpful in reefing community because we have some of the most skillful and knowledgeable DIY folks and every reef tank is unique.
Very inspiring!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
I have just published a full list of reef-pi 1.0 api, https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/api/
This is a big deal for this project , as the 1.0 api will not be broken till next major release and any user can build or extend reef-pi using the api, for the use cases that’s not available via ui but still possible using reef-pi api. I’ll try to publish a ruby gem and/or python / JavaScript package for the reef-pi 1.0 api if there’s any interest ..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
Is there an easy way to display the temperatures in °Celsius?
Its not complicated, but it is some work :) .
It is funny, that I prefer SI metrics, the probe itself reports SI metrics but I have implemented it to convert in imperial units because we use all imperial units for day to day reef keeping discussion.
I'll add support for this in post 1.0. I want to take some time to gather all similar issues, I expect few more things to have these units , time span etc type issue, and we may want reef-pi to be customizable based on user preferences.

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can i get the temp to show up?
dc8ed28a6371cab89c6ebd13fa71d896.jpg
5fd19c25ff981664b28bd36967eb50b7.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back