reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome.
Would be nice to make a standalone ato proggy that the rpi can control a couple of switch valves..= cheap ato equipment. Is this possible to make since its so simple?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float switch based ATOs will be trivial, I have used one before. Earlier version of reef-pi had UI baked into for this. I removed it to make it simple, and also to test an optical water level sensor instead. If this is something you'll use, I am happy to add the UI's back.
I think this will be an awesome pi zero build, now that reef-pi can run smoothly on pi-zero

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking of building a reef-pi + pi zero based kessil controller, unlike my current builds, which is all in one controller (light, relay, doser, ato), this will be just device specific controllers with much smaller form factors. Pi zero is particularly good for this, as you it's smaller & cheaper, but powerful enough to run reef-pi and has wifi capabilities.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a section of journal from today's log. I had an IP cam on it and was checking in now and again for strobing. I didn't see anything.
726778d47ef7da86b47b75bb29a95446.jpg

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears as though your code proportionally ramps between set points? Trying to understand the values in the journal.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears as though your code proportionally ramps between set points? Trying to understand the values in the journal.
Yes.. it linearly increases the pwm value, thats good right ?

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.. it linearly increases the pwm value, thats good right ?

Yes. Where the issue may lie, is in the low values between on threshold and off. We may want to set min max values and also increase slider quantity.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome.
Would be nice to make a standalone ato proggy that the rpi can control a couple of switch valves..= cheap ato equipment. Is this possible to make since its so simple?
I dont have an exactly step by step guide, but I do have some basic documentations, including Bill of Material . That document and this build thread should get you started. I am working on a comprehensive beginner guide, but it will take some time. Its bit more involved that I initially though, mostly because
- reef-pi is a software thats tested against Raspberry Pi and some other openhardware electronics components (easy to document)
- reef-pi can be configured with those core electronics (Raspberry Pi, PCA9685, Relays ) and ancillary electronics (dosing pump, temperature sensors) to make any customized builds (hard to document all those combinations, I am thinking of documenting the ones I think is good enough for public consumption)
- reef-pi controller housing (i.e the enclosure that will keep the electronics and hold additional AC receptacles, equipment connectors etc ) will vary from build to build, depending upon the builder's choice of housing material (3d printed, wood, acrylic etc) and number of outlets (number of AC sockets etc). This too is bit hard to document in a single guide, but I'll document the ones I have uses at least. This build thread has details for those at least

Let me know if you need any additional details,

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have an exactly step by step guide, but I do have some basic documentations, including Bill of Material . That document and this build thread should get you started. I am working on a comprehensive beginner guide, but it will take some time. Its bit more involved that I initially though, mostly because
- reef-pi is a software thats tested against Raspberry Pi and some other openhardware electronics components (easy to document)
- reef-pi can be configured with those core electronics (Raspberry Pi, PCA9685, Relays ) and ancillary electronics (dosing pump, temperature sensors) to make any customized builds (hard to document all those combinations, I am thinking of documenting the ones I think is good enough for public consumption)
- reef-pi controller housing (i.e the enclosure that will keep the electronics and hold additional AC receptacles, equipment connectors etc ) will vary from build to build, depending upon the builder's choice of housing material (3d printed, wood, acrylic etc) and number of outlets (number of AC sockets etc). This too is bit hard to document in a single guide, but I'll document the ones I have uses at least. This build thread has details for those at least

Let me know if you need any additional details,

My advice.

Read thread, buy parts, dive in, follow along, ask questions, most importantly have fun! [emoji41]

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a bug in the lighting tab.

If I change the spectrum slider and hit update, it will strobe between the old value and the new value. If I hit enable twice it stops and sticks with the new value.i confirmed this by watching the journal entries as changes were made. It seems like the update and enable/disable buttons are glitchy.

Your thoughts?

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I change the spectrum slider and hit update, it will strobe between the old value and the new value. If I hit enable twice it stops and sticks with the new value.i confirmed this by watching the journal entries as changes were made. It seems like the update and enable/disable buttons are glitchy.

Your thoughts?

I restarted reef-pi and it seems to have helped. The update and enable/disable buttons don't always update their status after a mouse click. Sometimes they work fine. I am wondering if this is an issue with my pi browser.[emoji848]

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you look into USB expansion model? Each functionality like PWM, PH, relay, are connected to resberry pi via USB. Then you can build out and even kickstart a series of these expansion modules to start up an ecosystem.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zsxking I have thought about it.
I dont like wires :-( , and USB programming code will be different with different devices.
With pi-zero, the cost difference between a USB connected expansion and a pi zero based reef-pi connected over wifi is not that much. And in this way I can use the device as independent or controlled via a central controller mode.
This is my initial thought .. I just got reef-pi working on pi-zero few days back.. I want to next build a pi-zero based just Kessil controller, without any relay/ac receptacles, which will bring the form factor lot smaller. And add code in reef-pi to control other reef-pi controllers via API. More like client , server .
Comments, violent disagreements ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your thoughts?
Yeah. Update buttons in UI is not consistent across the tabs :0( . I have to do some javascript foo in the UI to fix those.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zsxking I have thought about it.
I dont like wires :-( , and USB programming code will be different with different devices.
With pi-zero, the cost difference between a USB connected expansion and a pi zero based reef-pi connected over wifi is not that much. And in this way I can use the device as independent or controlled via a central controller mode.
This is my initial thought .. I just got reef-pi working on pi-zero few days back.. I want to next build a pi-zero based just Kessil controller, without any relay/ac receptacles, which will bring the form factor lot smaller. And add code in reef-pi to control other reef-pi controllers via API. More like client , server .
Comments, violent disagreements ?

That's better idea than USB. Each reef-pi can then be a IoT unit, can even support Amazon Alexa and Google Home. :D

I'm suck at wiring, otherwise I would dump my reef angel and jump ship to reef-pi right away.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back