reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting an AC panel mount that didn't have a fuse at all. The power boards I am using have a 10 amp fuse built into them. The aim is to keep the fuse and that way I will have 1x 10A fuse for each row of 5 outlets. I think most surge protection power boards should have a fuse built in, maybe that would be an easier way to go?

In Aus while you can buy GFCI extensions they aren't common and I've never seen a built in GFCI outlet, but every house circuit has to have RCD fuses fitted which I believe are not quite as sensitive but still life saving.

You guys don't have those crazy UK type recepts do you?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save the money and just swap out your wall outlet for a gfci and plug into that. Your original build is fine if you are plugging in your relay controlled outlet source into a gfci.[emoji1]

For those that don't want to replace their wall outlet, HD sells a short gfci extension.
This is comforting to know. I agree anything would be better than tupperwire :)

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is comforting to know. I agree anything would be better than tupperwire :)

I would much rather see you buy cool electronics [emoji41]rather than multiple parallel gfci's, where 1 upstream is as good.

I have been looking at 3d printer kits for weeks. Trying to justify cost of kit, in parts I could make[emoji16].

It's almost worth the cost just for the build experience.

denierlexiese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have been using for GFCI . I bought like 6 of them. One reason is because I wanted GFCI on the battery side of each of my ups.

@Aaron Smith What does the test do? If the test button doesn't flip the gfci does that mean the gfci needs to be thrown out?
https://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufa...8&qid=1502291228&sr=8-1&keywords=gfci+adapter

Additionally @Aaron Smith what do you think about AFCI? It looks like they became standard for American households in 2012. Should I consider getting a licensed electrician out to upgrade my panel? It looks like my main panel doesn't have afci, or gfci breakers.

denierlexiese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The electronically charged floor happened from this guy leaving the surge protector on the floor when the 200 gallon leaked. It was soaked in water when the alarm woke me. Thankfully it was fresh water. Taught me to use GFCI's everywhere and hang my surge protectors off the ground.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys don't have those crazy UK type recepts do you?

Lol I should have said that I have never seen a built in GFCI outlet in Aus. I visited the states in 2015 and saw them in bathrooms, because I'm a reefer I knew straight away what they were :p

I'm not sure what the UK has. Our plug shape is unique to Aus and all general power outlets look the same as far as I am aware, we don't have different ones in bathrooms or anything like that. Then our fuse boxes all have RCD fuses in them, unless your house is quite old and they haven't been upgraded yet.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have been using for GFCI . I bought like 6 of them. One reason is because I wanted GFCI on the battery side of each of my ups.

@Aaron Smith What does the test do? If the test button doesn't flip the gfci does that mean the gfci needs to be thrown out?
https://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufa...8&qid=1502291228&sr=8-1&keywords=gfci+adapter

Additionally @Aaron Smith what do you think about AFCI? It looks like they became standard for American households in 2012. Should I consider getting a licensed electrician out to upgrade my panel? It looks like my main panel doesn't have afci, or gfci breakers.

GFCI protects against electrocution.

AFCI protects against fire due to arcing wires.

Pressing the test button should trip the gfci. If it does not, you should try another gfci adapter plugged into the same outlet. If it trips then you know that the one in question has issues. If neither trips then you probably have an issue with the receptacle that the adapter is plugged into.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I should have said that I have never seen a built in GFCI outlet in Aus. I visited the states in 2015 and saw them in bathrooms, because I'm a reefer I knew straight away what they were :p

I'm not sure what the UK has. Our plug shape is unique to Aus and all general power outlets look the same as far as I am aware, we don't have different ones in bathrooms or anything like that. Then our fuse boxes all have RCD fuses in them, unless your house is quite old and they haven't been upgraded yet.

I knew what you meant. I just wanted to throw some humor at you[emoji16]

I will have to do some google research on aus power systems.

I hope to visit Australia someday. That would be an awesome family vacation!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew what you meant. I just wanted to throw some humor at you[emoji16]

I will have to do some google research on aus power systems.

I hope to visit Australia someday. That would be an awesome family vacation!
Australia is awesome. I have been there couple of times. Sydney is so pretty :0-) . I plan to visit some time later next year . Have lots of my friends there. Awesome steak. Everything is bigger there ...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some good progress on the software side in past couple of days. These were aimed at making the backend (go based controller) code modular, so individual subsystem (temperature, relay, lighting, ato etc.. ) are different and pluggable in the core controller. This should allow the reef-pi UI to only reflect sub-system that are available. i.e. if someone builds a temperature controller only build, the UI (and API) won't show lighting or other irrelevant UI.

reef-pi now has a /capabilities API endpoint, which gives a list of available modules/sub-system. This allows the UI to auto-configure itself, and show only the components that are available. Currently we have equipments (relay), lighting (pwm, 24 hour cycle) , dashboard (provides controller health information), timer (on/off equipments at specific times) and admin (shutdown/restart reef-pi controller itself) modules. ATO and temperature controller has backend code, but UI still needs to be worked on. Doser module is empty (empty code with no functionality).

I am working on making the equipment addition/deletion from UI (api). Only things related to electronics configuration (GPIO, pwm pins) will be in configuration file.
Sample, a pi-zero based kessil A80 controller:
Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 11.20.49 PM.png

And the classing AIO reef-pi look, with all the tabs
Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 11.23.07 PM.png
Notice, now we can change the name of the controller as well.

denierlexiese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I meant as a electrician, do you think I should upgrade all my breakers in my house to afci, while running gfci receptables? Is that the safest environment for a household?

denierlexiese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My temperature probe that I placed in silicon, was not 100% sealed/covered. Where water did get through it ate right through the "stainless steel" so much that now the probe doesn't read. I have 3 more probes, so this time I'm going to try silicon evenly spread out, and let it cure for 48 hours instead of 24. I also might try shrinkwrap / or heatsink.

@Ranjib How is the sparkfun temperature probe holding up?

https://www.amazon.com/Vktech-DS18b...00QGN0LKY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

denierlexiese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some people have recommended liquid electric tape. It looks like it's used in the boating industry and some have used it in their aquariums with success.

What do you all think?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My temperature probe that I placed in silicon, was not 100% sealed/covered. Where water did get through it ate right through the "stainless steel" so much that now the probe doesn't read. I have 3 more probes, so this time I'm going to try silicon evenly spread out, and let it cure for 48 hours instead of 24. I also might try shrinkwrap / or heatsink.

@Ranjib How is the sparkfun temperature probe holding up?

https://www.amazon.com/Vktech-DS18b...00QGN0LKY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
My probes are doing awesome . I have not seen any sign of rust or any other type of damage.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I meant as a electrician, do you think I should upgrade all my breakers in my house to afci, while running gfci receptables? Is that the safest environment for a household?

Currently, afci breakers are not installed on circuits that require gfci protection. I don't think that the two technologies play well as separate components They do make afci gfci combo breakers.This would make an expensive project for parts but less expensive labor wise.

Personally I would just gfci everything that I was plugging my tank equipment into or swap the breaker with a combo.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some people have recommended liquid electric tape. It looks like it's used in the boating industry and some have used it in their aquariums with success.

What do you all think?

What if you cut the tube of silicone in half and push the probe in about 4". Then pulled the probe out by the wire. I would have to think that would do the trick and leave the silicone in a more uniform coating

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib do you think you will ever add more sliders to the lighting ui? I have a slight algae outbreak, and I am going dark for a few days aside from a brief minimum threshold period during feeding. If I had 24 hour control I could set my slider at minimum for a half hour before and half hour after.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib do you think you will ever add more sliders to the lighting ui? I have a slight algae outbreak, and I am going dark for a few days aside from a brief minimum threshold period during feeding. If I had 24 hour control I could set my slider at minimum for a half hour before and half hour after.
Sure, I'll make the number of sliders configurable. I am in the midst of some serious code refactoring ,I'll need a week to get to this,

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I'll make the number of sliders configurable. I am in the midst of some serious code refactoring ,I'll need a week to get to this,

Awesome!

In thinking long term goals.... would a coral acclimation program be hard to program? How bout true location lunar cycle? Again just throwing out potential coolness factor requests.

Acclimation program would be cool for frag tank builds[emoji3]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back