reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1755.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG
@Ranjib what fixture are you running on your larger bio cube?
You mean light?
I'll share the entire equipment list :)

1) Stock return pump
2) Kessil A360
3) Mp10
4) Media basket (with Chemi pure Blue + a small bag of GFO)
5) Aquatic life 115 skimmer
6) Smart Micro ATO

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib, Is that last coral picture of alveopora? I wondered how those would do in tanks. I read they were very hard to ship.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib, Is that last coral picture of alveopora? I wondered how those would do in tanks. I read they were very hard to ship.
Pink goniopora. They are not easy , as in you need some small particle food (like reef roid or oyester feast) , they can't also deal with any aggressive corals. They grow relatively slow. But it's not hard to keep, like sps.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have a favia, which is generally called brain coral and I think it is in the same group of corals. I hand feed it sometimes, even when the feeding tentacles are not out.

I will try to take a picture and post it.

Would you like me to send you the code I found for lunar lighting? You could look at it and see what you think. As far as I know it is not copyrighted.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have a favia, which is generally called brain coral and I think it is in the same group of corals. I hand feed it sometimes, even when the feeding tentacles are not out.

I will try to take a picture and post it.

Would you like me to send you the code I found for lunar lighting? You could look at it and see what you think. As far as I know it is not copyrighted.
sure.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan (my son) love the clown fish in my BC29. He blabbers "nemo" :)
Thats a nice looking torch. I wanted to keep one, but they sting anything nearby :-/ , and I have serious space crunch, also have my fragspawn and hammer together already in the tank.. so I skipped... else I was pretty determined to get a gold torch.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan (my son) love the clown fish in my BC29. He blabbers "nemo" :)
Thats a nice looking torch. I wanted to keep one, but they sting anything nearby :-/ , and I have serious space crunch, also have my fragspawn and hammer together already in the tank.. so I skipped... else I was pretty determined to get a gold torch.

The last pic on hangouts I sent you is pretty much where my tank sits now so I have plenty of room. I went with a torch because I didn't want a nem walking all over my tank. I have enough problems keeping things put.[emoji4]
Gwen is gonna love it when she gets home. The only issue is she wants to touch everything [emoji4]

I lost a cleaner shrimp this week after a molt, so I replaced him with 2 new ones. Gwen called the original one ch-rimpy. I guess that's how she says shrimpy. Works for me!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Software refactoring is going on with full steam.. two of the sub-system (equipments & timers) now has extensive unit test coverage. I am working on increasing the test coverage to at least 80%
```
ranjib@axis-bold-as-love:~/gocode/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi [eq_test] $ go test ./... -cover
? github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/auth [no test files]
? github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/commands [no test files]
ok github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller 0.014s coverage: 11.6% of statements
? github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/ato [no test files]
? github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/camera [no test files]
ok github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/equipments 0.013s coverage: 84.9% of statements
ok github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/lighting 0.014s coverage: 12.3% of statements
ok github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/system 0.018s coverage: 37.8% of statements
ok github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/temperature 0.012s coverage: 9.9% of statements
ok github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/timer 0.011s coverage: 82.1% of statements
ok github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/utils 0.019s coverage: 7.1% of statements
ranjib@axis-bold-as-love:~/gocode/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi [eq_test] $
```
Meanwhile, I am contemplating of a minor release cadence (0.1, 0.2 , 0.3 etc) after the refactoring is completed (2 weeks probably).. My initial thought is to hav a steady cadence of 1 minor release every two weeks, where each release will have at least 1 sub system fully documented, unit tested. All the minor released should lead up to a major version 1 release, which I want to be during or before X-mas. Once we have a major release (i.e 1.0) reef-pi API will not change till it gets the next major release (2.0), which should be at least a year. The intention is to provide a stable API/interfaces/UI to everyone that they can rely on, and will be supported (i.e. bug fixes, security patches etc) without any breaking changes . This is very common practice in softwares, so hopefully it will be kosher to everyone.

Let me know what you all think about the release cadence, and what all features you would like to see in 1.0, my current thoughts are:
- Equipments (on demand on/off features)
- Timers (periodically on/off equioments , based on schedule)
- Lighting (LED controls, sunrise to sunset cycle)
- Auto Top off (float switch or photo electric sensor based auto top off)
- Temperature controller (ds18b20 based temperature sensor and control)
- Dosing controller

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib what do you think about having presets in the lighting. I am thinking for those occasions when you have company over and you want to show off your corals. You could have a preset level button that would be set to the perfect lighting for color pop. I am not sure how this would all work but it may be another cool ui feature. I am thinking it would have to be some sort of temp. lighting tab overide

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib what do you think about having presets in the lighting. I am thinking for those occasions when you have company over and you want to show off your corals. You could have a preset level button that would be set to the perfect lighting for color pop. I am not sure how this would all work but it may be another cool ui feature. I am thinking it would have to be some sort of temp. lighting tab overide
If I understand correctly, we should be able to do it easily. As of now, reef-pi allows two ways of configuring LED channels. Cycle and fixed. In cycle mode reef-pi uses the 12 values (each at 2 hours interval) to mimic day light cycle. In fixed mode each channels are set at a fixed predefined values. If all you ever need is a single preset for viewing pleasure, this should do. But if you need multiple presets and choose one among those, then I have to add some code. Should not be very hard, but given the limited use I would say it will be of low priority, after ATO & Doser :) . I need those two for my sps well being. Also camera module. I just realized I have a vacation coming up.... I have to get the camera module running to take photos periodically and upload them in imagur or something similar.

I wish reef2reed had an API. We could have had automated tank journals.. where reef-pi would upload the photos and parameters, and we could add some ancillay details.. have discussions etc.. :) . How cool that would be.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that because I am off work today so I am working more on my system and the part I am working on is a button that will allow me to turn on/off my lights on the fly (I already have it on my admin page but going to put it on my macro button with different options)

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, we should be able to do it easily. As of now, reef-pi allows two ways of configuring LED channels. Cycle and fixed. In cycle mode reef-pi uses the 12 values (each at 2 hours interval) to mimic day light cycle. In fixed mode each channels are set at a fixed predefined values. If all you ever need is a single preset for viewing pleasure, this should do. But if you need multiple presets and choose one among those, then I have to add some code. Should not be very hard, but given the limited use I would say it will be of low priority, after ATO & Doser :) . I need those two for my sps well being. Also camera module. I just realized I have a vacation coming up.... I have to get the camera module running to take photos periodically and upload them in imagur or something similar.

I wish reef2reed had an API. We could have had automated tank journals.. where reef-pi would upload the photos and parameters, and we could add some ancillay details.. have discussions etc.. :) . How cool that would be.

I have a good idea on a vacation with my system but thats down the road as I work on more pressing issues for me.

That would be cool if r2r or other sites I use (NJReefers) could use APIs so we could post things automatic

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my ultra blue acro and my dragon's soul favia. Pardon the wire hair algae..still fighting it.
00001.jpg
00002.jpg
I would love to have a blue across in my biocube. I am relatively new to sps, still making my chops. I was thinking of getting an Oregon tort . I see Doser playing a key role for sps tanks

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ultra blue is very easy. It likes flow and light. I feed it oyster feast twice a week and my fish feed it other things. I hand feed the favia 1 or 2 pellets twice a week. If the tentacles are not out (tentacles are out at night) it still accepts the food. I bought both at #Unique Corals in Van Nuys. They are an awesome company!

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I totally understand on priority level. As with all my suggestions and input, it is mearly for a topic of discussion in UI advancement.:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back