reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my ultra blue acro and my dragon's soul favia. Pardon the wire hair algae..still fighting it.
00001.jpg
00002.jpg

cool pics.

I think it's nice if we all post pics of the tanks we are implementing reef-pi into. It keeps the momentum going!

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing about the fixed vs cycle, If lighting is enabled in the lighting tab (cycle) and you make a change to the lighting in the equipment tab (fixed), the lights will briefly change to the fixed set value and then revert back to the cycle calculated value. If you want to use a fixed value, you need to click "disabled" in the lighting tab.

This is atleast what I have found to be true.:)

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Brad. I may be speaking out of turn, because I haven't built one yet. But....you can use one of the other. I believe that if you want a display you will need to use a pi 3. I think I read that the pi zero does not support a display. Have you looked at Ranjib's build documents? They are located here https://reef-pi.github.io/general-guides/ . Guys, please correct me if I am mistaken.

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually just found this.
I dont want to spend a pile on kessil i need three.

I want to use sbreef 16" black box but i want to set them up on the pi3. Plus control my pumps and such.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SbReef 16 " basic. I also want to add some moonlights in phase with the moon, but that is long term. Ranjib has documented his system, but the controller can be used for various pumps, lights, etc. Aaron, Njtiger, Ranjib, our friend from Austrailia (sorry forgot name), and others here all have different uses and systems. I am sure they will answer your email soon too.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Brad. I may be speaking out of turn, because I haven't built one yet. But....you can use one of the other. I believe that if you want a display you will need to use a pi 3. I think I read that the pi zero does not support a display. Have you looked at Ranjib's build documents? They are located here https://reef-pi.github.io/general-guides/ . Guys, please correct me if I am mistaken.
100% correct.

Aaron Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What black boxs are you planning on going with?
I am using a galaxyhydro fixture that I modified the array with more violet and 20k chips. This fixture runs 5v PWM dimming and works seamlessly with reef-pi. I am super interested in SB's array. I do think that they run 0-10v analog dimming but I think that Ranjib was looking into the feasability of 0-10v PWM to analog fixture.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. I found out about raspberry pi's when I was looking into model train automation . Never thought about doing tank automation myself.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a galaxyhydro fixture that I modified the array with more violet and 20k chips. This fixture runs 5v PWM dimming and works seamlessly with reef-pi. I am super interested in SB's array. I do think that they run 0-10v analog dimming but I think that Ranjib was looking into the feasability of 0-10v PWM to analog fixture.
Yup, I have tried it out in multiple ways. Depending upon what you are controlling there are couple of different ways to do that.
For things like Kessil, where we have to generate 10V pwm just to control the channels, while Kessil has its own dedicated power, we can do such circuit, where current draw is relatively low (50milli amp) we can use a 10v power supply and any common npn transistor(such as PN2222a) , along side a 1K and 10K resistor for each channel, circuit can be found here: http://birota.azurewebsites.net/content/images/2015/03/im5-1.png
For other cases where we have to power the LED itself (the power draw is high), we can use a logic level power mosfet or a darlington IC (ULN2803a or L293d). You can find those circuit example in adafruit website straight.
I am pretty sure that I can use reef-pi to make even a low cost LED bulb like this one : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWP37SD/ , which is very exciting, as I know first hand these bulbs work just fine for almost all lps/softies in a pico tank. and this will be a radically cheap but prudent lighting solution.

anyway.... coming back to the original topic, do let us know what light you are going with, since I have not used these blackboxes I cant say for certain, but I think the normal npn transistor based approach will work. If not, we'll figure out what works... should not be impossible (use multimeter to detect what the circuit expect, and we'll come up with transistor that can boost 5v pwm to that level)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. I found out about raspberry pi's when I was looking into model train automation . Never thought about doing tank automation myself.
Thats awesome :)
Actually since I have my kid (he is almost 2 year now), I myself contemplating of a train control system. We have an elaborate lionel O gauge set (with extra caboose and tank cars ) , I plan to hack it .. but thats at least couple of years down the line

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Ill get the black boxes ordered or at least one of them and ill get it tore apart to see whats going on inside that thing.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, In this string there is a link to the sbreeflight mod that you will need. If you don't see it here, search on youtube or the sbreef site. Man, I wish I could afford those new SB Ultras!

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O really! So it has already been done! Even better!

Thanks! Ill search it and see what i need.

Yea they look sweet for sure. But im not spending that for lights lol thats why im not getting the kessils. Way to much for lights.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back