reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand it fully, but I think the PWM interface that Aaron and Ranjib are talking about is a different method that the sbreef video. Please keep that in mind before cutting any wires. Heck, I don't even understand what Ranjib wrote just above about PWM. But I plan to learn.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The YouTube video does the mod for apex if I recall correctly. It does not talk about what specific signal is used to control other than just apex generating it.
I did t know muchabiut these things either , I learned along the way. It has been a very inspiring diy project. I only knew about the software , rest all I have learned in past two years. Reef-pi is almost a year old project now

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i bought 4 marsaqua units that has been used on the bluefish controller. The use the 0-10volt.

So now i need to get the pi3 setup for them.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if anything has changed on the SBReefLights, but from their own video here it uses 0-10V analog.
Don't know if you have done this before, but I found a few possibilities here http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=17548.0. Seems like a few ways to go about it, but not sure which is best for this application.

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup my reef pi today. But had a few questions. In the config setting how to i enable it to allow more devices? Like so i can login remotly?

Also how do i give it a ip? I have it online but the ip address will change.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if anything has changed on the SBReefLights, but from their own video here it uses 0-10V analog.
Don't know if you have done this before, but I found a few possibilities here http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=17548.0. Seems like a few ways to go about it, but not sure which is best for this application.

From our experience, 10v pwm almost always work where 0-10 v analog is expected. Last time we checked one of the commercial controller using oscillioscope it was generating 10v pwm and then passed it through a LPF.
That said, it should be possible to generate o-10v analog signal as well using a DAC, its just I didnt encounter the need for it. If someone hits this roadblock, we can revisit

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup my reef pi today. But had a few questions. In the config setting how to i enable it to allow more devices? Like so i can login remotly?

Also how do i give it a ip? I have it online but the ip address will change.
Change the configuration file (/etc/reef-pi/config.yml) with `address: 0.0.0.0:8080`
Were you able to configure your raspberry pi with internet? Tutorial on this can be found here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/

Congrats on the reef-pi gears :) I am pretty sure we'll get it working, just hang in there , the initial learning curve is bit steep

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did set it up with internet.

So it shows now localhost:8080.

So make it say 0.0.0.0:8080?

Then i can log in to it remotly from my iphone or webbrowser?
My next step is to make a pwm module for my lights.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes. And restart reef pi

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let us know how your light controller goes...

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will do!

Will it simulate the moonphase here too? Or is that possiable?

Also whats the best way to get pwm?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered this thread and I don't have any of the diy knowledge that seems necessary for this. I know nothing about electronics or programming but I'm definitely willing to learn. I've started to read through this thread but most of it isn't sticking with me very well, it looks like there's a big learning curve and it seems the best way to learn is to just jump in. But before I do that I have some questions. I am looking for a few features in a controller:
  • Monitor and log temperature, at a minimum, and possibly other parameters like pH
  • Allow me to see those readings remotely (like if I'm at work), and
  • Alert me with a text or email if it goes above or below set parameters
Are these things within the capabilities of reef pi?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered this thread and I don't have any of the diy knowledge that seems necessary for this. I know nothing about electronics or programming but I'm definitely willing to learn. I've started to read through this thread but most of it isn't sticking with me very well, it looks like there's a big learning curve and it seems the best way to learn is to just jump in. But before I do that I have some questions. I am looking for a few features in a controller:
  • Monitor and log temperature, at a minimum, and possibly other parameters like pH
  • Allow me to see those readings remotely (like if I'm at work), and
  • Alert me with a text or email if it goes above or below set parameters
Are these things within the capabilities of reef pi?

Thanks.
Temperature monitor (using ds18b20 probe) and remote reading/dashboard (using adafrui.io) . Alerting is not implemented yet, but planned, as part of 1.0 release (around X-mas)

Tofty85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread, just what I was looking for! I'm a complete newbie with raspberry pi and programming , had one like 3 days now with intentions of building a reef controller

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 74 77.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.5%
Back