reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread, just what I was looking for! I'm a complete newbie with raspberry pi and programming , had one like 3 days now with intentions of building a reef controller
Godspeed. Let us know if you need any help

Tofty85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Godspeed. Let us know if you need any help
Thanks I will no doubt need help on this, quick question, does the reef pi work with wi-fi relay switches like the Sonoff 4ch pro if i flashed it with ESPEasy or other firmware?

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From our experience, 10v pwm almost always work where 0-10 v analog is expected. Last time we checked one of the commercial controller using oscillioscope it was generating 10v pwm and then passed it through a LPF.
That said, it should be possible to generate o-10v analog signal as well using a DAC, its just I didnt encounter the need for it. If someone hits this roadblock, we can revisit

Whats the best way to get this? I need this for the marsaqua.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th

Thanks I will no doubt need help on this, quick question, does the reef pi work with wi-fi relay switches like the Sonoff 4ch pro if i flashed it with ESPEasy or other firmware?
No. reef-pi uses mechanical or solid state relays directly to control electrical outlets. You have to get the relay and electrical receptacles and wire them up... Example can be found here : https://reef-pi.github.io/build-guides/power/

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the best way to get this? I need this for the marsaqua.
Get which one ? If you are going for 10 v pwm , get pca9685 breakout board from adafruit (reef pi already has code ready and tested for this ). If you are going for 0-10 v analog, get mcp4725 DAC board, we have to write the code for this , should be easy. You need couple a 10k, 1k resistor and an non diode (pn2222a) for each channel. I think your lighthas two channel , so two of each

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get which one ? If you are going for 10 v pwm , get pca9685 breakout board from adafruit (reef pi already has code ready and tested for this ). If you are going for 0-10 v analog, get mcp4725 DAC board, we have to write the code for this , should be easy. You need couple a 10k, 1k resistor and an non diode (pn2222a) for each channel. I think your lighthas two channel , so two of each

Im not sure yet if its 0-10v analog or not. The lights are setup to run on the bluefish controller. Its 0-10v.
So i have three lights. Will that require 6 channels?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure yet if its 0-10v analog or not. The lights are setup to run on the bluefish controller. Its 0-10v.
So i have three lights. Will that require 6 channels?
If you want to control them independently, you need 6 of each, if you want to daisy chain (and if its possible) only 2

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to control them independently, you need 6 of each, if you want to daisy chain (and if its possible) only 2
Awesome! I ordered the stuff for it.

I want to control the lights all together. So 2 channels will be ok.

Is there a drawing for me to go by?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I ordered the stuff for it.

I want to control the lights all together. So 2 channels will be ok.

Is there a drawing for me to go by?
Raspberry pi to pca9685 can be found here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-16-channel-servo-driver-with-raspberry-pi?view=all
This will give you upto 16 channel 5 v pwm.
Circuit for converting individual 5 v pwm to 10v pwm can be found here: http://birota.azurewebsites.net/0-5v-to-0-10v-pwm-converter-for-arduino/
more precisely this diagram:http://birota.azurewebsites.net/content/images/2015/03/im5-1.png
read about it, see if you understand the process, I was hoping to write a build guide for kessil controller (which use these parts), but I am tied with the on-going automated tests, refactoring.. which aims to give us much better platform to build all other code/features, intended for the 1.0 release .
happy to answer any question you may have

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so they show a voltage regulator and a different transistor in that diagram. does that matter? I ordered the pn2222a ones.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so they show a voltage regulator and a different transistor in that diagram. does that matter? I ordered the pn2222a ones.
Nah.. for all practical purpose, a 10v linear regulator is not a must have. I have personally tested with straight 12 v pwm, and reef-pi allows you to set a minimum and maximum threshold. This helps in avoiding higher (in case you dont have a regulator) or lower voltage (Kessil would blink in voltages lower than 3). Albeit throwing a linear regulator will make it better..

Brad Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad will you please write down steps? I will be doing this shortly.
lll try lol

Imma try and print out a 3d box to put everything in so its in one package. My lights came today but the rest of the parts wont be here until tomorrow. Then ill have more questions.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you. My pi, ps, and jumpers came in today but I am waiting on my usb to ttl cable before i can load anything.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I have to use my computer...no tv in the office. Multiple ways to do the same thing

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back