reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a RPi3B and Adruino Uno. I would love to collaborate on this subject. Looks you have some knowledge in this area. Are you a programmer? Although i have an aptitude for this, i find that evrythimg seems new to me. let me know via PM. looks really good. looks like youre at a point where you can start slimming everything down and refine.
I am a programmer. We use Raspberry Pi and some extra electronics for this project, but no arduino (it was not fully opensource when I started the project. I do not think we'll ever need arduino ). Let me know what you want to do with reef-pi, this is an opensource projects, and community is key. I'll always look for collaborators.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to make TRIAC outlets ? or do they all work on relay?
I did not. I never needed it. My understanding is SSRs uses triacs internally. Do you have a use case that requires TRIACs and can not be done by relays?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SSR will work as well depends on how much current your going to pass thru it I like relays
Yup. Most SSRs will have lower amp limits (2 amp most common), then most mechanical relays (10 amp)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that there should be an upper limit, but it would be easily doable to display 2-4 of them, probably 2 per row, up to 2 rows.

As for why you wouldn't want to have the status of each piece of equipment on a status dashboard? Isn't that the exact purpose of a status dashboard? Should the dashboard not be a place that can easily be looked at to see the status of the items being controlled by the system?

I know if I were to look at the main page of such a system I'd want to be able to quickly scan down the page to see that everything is turned on or off, according to how I wish each particular item to be operating.

It's like the dashboard of a car: you have your speedometer. This would be like your tank's temperature. If you drive any type of performance car (especially if it's a standard transmission) you'd have a tachometer. I'd think of this like another chart to be displayed, like the pH of the tank. You have indicator lights for your headlights, high beams, individual turn signals (plus a 3rd display type for your hazard lights). My car has a light for when the wheels break traction and spin. Newer cars are adding indicator lights for blind spot detection, etc. Each of those items is important and is readily readable on the dashboard of the car, much like I would want to know about the pumps in my system.

I'm not trying to argue or anything. I just truly don't understand why complete status information wouldn't be displayed on a consolidated panel.
No. Status dashabord does not show status of everything :)
The purpose of status dashboard to get the overall health of the system at a glance, as quickly as possible, as effortlessly as possible. Having details that can be captured by other means will incur visual and performance pain. For example, an ATO subsystem controls water pump equipment, so if we can show what time and how much water was added (time duration of the pump being on) that in turn indicates when and how long the pump was on, or whether the pump is running or not at that moment. Same goes for temperature controller etc. Unless its a buggy system and we dont have any confidence, state of individual equipments is not the most important thing to show in the dashboard. A would repeat an old wisdom (taken from RFC1925 point number 12):
In protocol design,
perfection has been reached not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away
Take a look at @cypho 's dashboard , if you have not :) thats the stuff ! I think its better than most commercial controller, I find some of them full of not-so-important details.

I ensure reliability in distributed systems made of fragile components. And I use dashboards (command center as its known) to diagnose overall system health. The focus here is to keep it effective in spotting any system wide anomaly (does my ato runs more than normal? why is tempertature consistently high? etc... ), any further diagnosis, that is component level will involve fine grained charts/status pages. i.e if you find something fishy from the overall dashboard, you may jump into the equipments tab to figure out the exact details.

Somnifac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I suppose we philosophically disagree with what the purpose of the dashboard is. I see the dashboard as reflecting what the software is doing at this point in time, not the health of the system. I don't think there is nearly enough data (and that's not a sleight on the software) to determine the health of the system that your eyes couldn't already provide.

Yes, we are using the software to promote a healthy system, but that's not the goal of the software. There software's goal is to provide a framework for automating tasks. To me, part of that is providing centralised feedback on what it thinks it's doing so that we can see how that visually compares to reality.

At the very least, I believe that it should be user configurable, so that they can choose to display the information that is important to them. Personally, in my ideal system, I would want a section that shows sensor data (the charts), a section that shows the current state of the items powered by the system, as well as a section that shows any variable PWM controls (lighting or DC PWM wavemaker control if added).

But I can still find a plus in this. If there's no all in one status page, I have little that's tying me to buying the 7" Pi touchscreen (and any associated items that I would require). That item's entire purpose was "touch the screen to display what's going on" without having to navigate screens or menus. If there would be navigation involved, I would be far more likely to just grab my laptop.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I suppose we philosophically disagree with what the purpose of the dashboard is. I see the dashboard as reflecting what the software is doing at this point in time, not the health of the system. I don't think there is nearly enough data (and that's not a sleight on the software) to determine the health of the system that your eyes couldn't already provide.

Yes, we are using the software to promote a healthy system, but that's not the goal of the software. There software's goal is to provide a framework for automating tasks. To me, part of that is providing centralised feedback on what it thinks it's doing so that we can see how that visually compares to reality.

At the very least, I believe that it should be user configurable, so that they can choose to display the information that is important to them. Personally, in my ideal system, I would want a section that shows sensor data (the charts), a section that shows the current state of the items powered by the system, as well as a section that shows any variable PWM controls (lighting or DC PWM wavemaker control if added).

But I can still find a plus in this. If there's no all in one status page, I have little that's tying me to buying the 7" Pi touchscreen (and any associated items that I would require). That item's entire purpose was "touch the screen to display what's going on" without having to navigate screens or menus. If there would be navigation involved, I would be far more likely to just grab my laptop.
No thats not the entire purpose of touch screen. A physically connected touch screen allows you to run reef-pi without any network requirement.
You are right we philosophically disagree on the purpose of status page. And as I mentioned, i dont see much value in cluttering all possible information (albeit they might have some value).
reef-pi was build ground up to be as affordable and as hackable as possible. Which means it is trivial to remove everything that not needed, and still be able to build a light controller under 30$. It also means you can run reef-pi backend and use any other software as UI and conroll reef-pi using its API.
Finally, since reef-pi is opensource, one can always make the code changes to support composable dashboards. I am open to have such capabilities. Its just I personally do see much value in it, hence I am not signing up for that piece of work.

Somnifac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, but I will be on a network, so if the software doesn't have a feature that was the main use I would be buying it for, I can do without. That saves me about $100 that can be used elsewhere. Its use was to be a status monitor, I was always going to do any change/config work through a machine with a keyboard and mouse. And that's fine. It's not your duty to provide software that is everything to every person.

As you said, there's an API, so if it's that important to me I can always build a status page using that. I certainly would never go far enough that I'd fork the application. Maintaining it would be far more work than a status monitor would be worse. For one, I don't know anything about GO, and the overwhelming majority of my programming experience was 20 years ago, and I'd be willing to bet that programming languages haven't stood still in that time. Learning a little JSON/JQuery, on the other hand, looks doable. Or accessing JSON data via PHP looks easy enough, and I have at least a passing familiarity with that.

Last edited:

Somnifac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. When @Ranjib mentioned there was an API (I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I must have missed it) I went diving for the documentation.

I've flown through DFW (I assume, based on your location noted as Allen, TX) many, many times, but it's never been an endpoint to my journey.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is expected. Linux kernel will utilize any unused memory for caching, to boost IO read performance. So, you should notice the free unutilized memory being used as cache/buffer (think of all the time you are hitting the webui, and kernel has to read the css/javascript files from sd card, after sometime, they'll be served from memory). Kernel will reclaim those caching memory anytime something else needed them, i.e. this will not cause memory starvation.

But that brings a very valid question: Is it really a helpful metric? And I think it is not, I did not think through while implementing the heartbeat. My focus was to emit minimal health information comprising of cpu and memory utilization. I'll update the code to emit used memory instead. That is a better metric.
Thanks for pointing this out :)
Ranjib,
I agree that the minimum system health is good to monitor, but may not be "telemetry worthy". What are your thoughts on having reef-pi check the health metrics and have a telemetry section set for errors/warnings alerts. That way there is only something sent if it needs to be brought to the users attention. This could contain many safety checks for all aspects of the system (i.e. extreme temperature, alert from floatswitches that should never be triggered, etc...)
Can telemetry accept text, or only numeric values? If that is the case, maybe a list of error codes and then alerts setup within adafruit io?

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib and all, I am not proposing this (see graphic), because it is quite divergent from our path at this time. But, when I was looking at aquarium controllers on the internet, I found this one and it peeked my interest. I captured the URL in the graphic, if you want to look at it.
The dashboard quite explanatory - the URL has an assortment of dashboard screen captures.

Dashboard.JPG

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib, If I wanted to use a larger SD card in my Pi that is running reef-pi, what is the procedure to save the configuration and use the larger card? The card that I have would have an older copy of Raspbian and reef-pi on it.

I wonder if this is something others might want to do in the future?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib, If I wanted to use a larger SD card in my Pi that is running reef-pi, what is the procedure to save the configuration and use the larger card? The card that I have would have an older copy of Raspbian and reef-pi on it.

I wonder if this is something others might want to do in the future?
Copy reef-pi database file (/var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db) to the new sd card , after installing reef-pi in it, and restart reef-pi, that should be it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back