Reef-Pi Controllers: New all-in-one with power bar, and the original Pico

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@@theatrus, on the rev d board, the GPIO appearance corresponds directly with what's printed on the board, correct? So first pin should ground, then 17, then gnd, then 27? I cannot get this optical sensor going for the life of me and I'm trying to avoid cutting it back open to re-splice.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@@theatrus, on the rev d board, the GPIO appearance corresponds directly with what's printed on the board, correct? So first pin should ground, then 17, then gnd, then 27? I cannot get this optical sensor going for the life of me and I'm trying to avoid cutting it back open to re-splice.

It’s lined up with the direction you read the text in - so left side is left. Pin 1 is also marked on the text and connector.

Looking at the board and sensor we may have a fight between the fairly strong pull down (2.2k) and the weaker pull up (4.7k) on the sensor. If you have a multi meter I suspect you’ll see a fairly low voltage on the input pin. If you have a spare resistor of 1-2k, try connecting it across 5V and the input to add more of a pull up.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s lined up with the direction you read the text in - so left side is left. Pin 1 is also marked on the text and connector.

Looking at the board and sensor we may have a fight between the fairly strong pull down (2.2k) and the weaker pull up (4.7k) on the sensor. If you have a multi meter I suspect you’ll see a fairly low voltage on the input pin. If you have a spare resistor of 1-2k, try connecting it across 5V and the input to add more of a pull up.
All I have on hand are these. I'll have to order some 1k and 2k resistors. I am getting 0.01 volts on the input. Would one of these work?
1546916523211.jpeg

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have on hand are these. I'll have to order some 1k and 2k resistors. I am getting 0.01 volts on the input. Would one of these work?
1546916523211.jpeg

0.01 is far too low to just be the problem (unless the sensor is actively going low). Can you check that you see 5V on the 5V? If you disconnect the input and leave the 5V and ground what does the sensor pin do?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.01 is far too low. Can you check that you see 5V on the 5V? If you disconnect the input and leave the 5V and ground what does the sensor pin do?
I was getting 5v out of the 5v output. I'll disconnect the input to see what it does. I imagine the pi is looking for a signal on pin 17 so it should fault.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.01 is far too low to just be the problem (unless the sensor is actively going low). Can you check that you see 5V on the 5V? If you disconnect the input and leave the 5V and ground what does the sensor pin do?
No change according to the GUI

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The board has a 2x 0-10V label on it but I only see a single barrel connector. Am I misinterpreting the "2x"...I thought it would have 2 separate 0-10V outputs....

How do you control two 0-10V outputs via the single connector?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm not using the ADJ power strip (fingers crossed I can get my UI updated for my power controller)...would I be able to repurpose the GPIO pins that are on the DB9 connector? I won't be using your enclosure anyway, so I can have a connector hooked up with the bare wires exposed for me to use the pins and it won't show externally...

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s expected - I meant the actual sensor lead from the sensor. I’m trying to ascertain the sensor is working correctly :)
I extended the cable with some cat5. How many volts should I see on the input wire?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I extended the cable with some cat5. How many volts should I see on the input wire?

If you connect 5V and GND to the base board, and look at the sensor wire, you should see either 5V or GND (nominally, a few 100mV different won't matter at all) depending if the sensor detects something or not.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm not using the ADJ power strip (fingers crossed I can get my UI updated for my power controller)...would I be able to repurpose the GPIO pins that are on the DB9 connector? I won't be using your enclosure anyway, so I can have a connector hooked up with the bare wires exposed for me to use the pins and it won't show externally...

Yes - they right now are pulled down with a 2.2k resistor pack, and lead to the FET gate. If you're fine with that, no worries in repurposing them.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any thoughts on adding the capability to control aquarium pumps?

In the base board, there are too many variants here (unless the 0-10V or on/off doesn't work for the pump) depending on the pump. As an addon for a popular pump type, absolutely.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The board has a 2x 0-10V label on it but I only see a single barrel connector. Am I misinterpreting the "2x"...I thought it would have 2 separate 0-10V outputs....

How do you control two 0-10V outputs via the single connector?

The ground reference is shared - the ring on the stereo connector is the ground.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you connect 5V and GND to the base board, and look at the sensor wire, you should see either 5V or GND (nominally, a few 100mV different won't matter at all) depending if the sensor detects something or not.
I see. I think I had the probe out of the water when I checked last time. I was looking for a way to determine a state change, and this should be it. I'll post the results once I get home.

Back