Reef-Pi Controllers: New all-in-one with power bar, and the original Pico

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you connect 5V and GND to the base board, and look at the sensor wire, you should see either 5V or GND (nominally, a few 100mV different won't matter at all) depending if the sensor detects something or not.

So I'm getting the same voltage no matter what between the gnd and signal wires, which is 0.01 volts.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm getting the same voltage no matter what between the gnd and signal wires, which is 0.01 volts.

Somehow the sensor is not working or possibly miswired then. :(.

Do you have a top down picture of the wiring just to double check things?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow the sensor is not working or possibly miswired then. :(.

Do you have a top down picture of the wiring just to double check things?
I'll open everything back up and redo the splices then.
20190105_142609.jpeg

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll open everything back up and redo the splices then.
20190105_142609.jpeg

Looks like you have ground and the green wire going to output pins on the sensor? Note that pin1 is labeled on both the legend and the connector - if you read the text the normal way up, both are on the right ->

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have ground and the green wire going to output pins on the sensor? Note that pin1 is labeled on both the legend and the connector - if you read the text the normal way up, both are on the right ->
I put the green where pin 17 was listed, and the black where the gnd was listed.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the green where pin 17 was listed, and the black where the gnd was listed.

17 can only be an output - the 5V I/O buffers make everything unidirectional. Move it over to one of the two inputs on the other side of that connector.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 can only be an output - the 5V I/O buffers make everything unidirectional. Move it over to one of the two inputs on the other side of that connector.

Moved it over to pin26, same result. I guess I'll have to check for continuity tonight. Could the cable to too long? I added a 6 foot length to it.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just fiddling around in Fritzing. Never used it before and was checking out what it can/can't do.

Got the pico board today...realized I got the wrong ribbon cable to connect to my 3B+ and that the power adapter that I thought would fit...doesn't. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Edit: On the power note - will I need a micro-USB for the Pi3, or will the 12V on the Pico be enough for it?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just fiddling around in Fritzing. Never used it before and was checking out what it can/can't do.

Got the pico board today...realized I got the wrong ribbon cable to connect to my 3B+ and that the power adapter that I thought would fit...doesn't. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Edit: On the power note - will I need a micro-USB for the Pi3, or will the 12V on the Pico be enough for it?

The 5V is from a 2A buck converter, no need to dual power.

Fritzing’s niche is real breadboard and protoboard diagrams. And maybe wiring diagrams. It may look better than my work in illustrator :)

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5V is from a 2A buck converter, no need to dual power.

Fritzing’s niche is real breadboard and protoboard diagrams. And maybe wiring diagrams. It may look better than my work in illustrator :)
Which color wires go into which spots on the 8 wire DPIO connector on the rev d board for the optical sensor?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dug up a power supply that's compatible (stupid barrel connector sizes)....and the proper GPIO cable comes today for the Pi3.

Question - I'd like to have a proper power switch on my enclosure, which safely shuts down the Pi vs just killing power to it. https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/how-to-add-a-power-button-to-your-raspberry-pi shows that shorting (momentarily) pins 5 and 6 (GPIO3 and GND) together will awaken the beast, and can be exploited to shut down, as well. I see that the I2C SCL is exposed on the Pico board via the I2C connector. Can I tie into that connector to utilize a safe power down, or is GP3 being used for something else on reef-pi?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm looks like adding:

dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown

To /boot/config.txt will remove the need for a python script/service for shutting down, and momentarily shorting (via momentary switch) will start up. If I can somehow use SCL for this w/o conflict, then I'm good to go :)

Back