Reef-Pi Controllers: New all-in-one with power bar, and the original Pico

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a mechanical float?
Yep. Cabled it in just as you did in the picture, and I even went and transposed the wires, just in case. It does the exact same as the optical sensor. It turns ATO ON no matter what state it's in, and when reversed, turns it OFF no matter what state it's in. Very interesting.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Cabled it in just as you did in the picture, and I even went and transposed the wires, just in case. It does the exact same as the optical sensor. It turns ATO ON no matter what state it's in, and when reversed, turns it OFF no matter what state it's in. Very interesting.

Interesting. A float or a wire should trigger the input pin either way. Should have thought to test that a long time ago :facepalm:

If at all possible, can you send a zoomed in picture of the little six legged chip U7? It’s right next to the connector. I’d hate to say it, but it’s possible there was an assembly error here as that was not machine placed for these boards.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. A float or a wire should trigger the input pin either way. Should have thought to test that a long time ago :facepalm:

If at all possible, can you send a zoomed in picture of the little six legged chip U7? It’s right next to the connector. I’d hate to say it, but it’s possible there was an assembly error here as that was not machine placed for these boards.

I will get you that picture shortly.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way I’ll drop a second board in the mail to you today. Sorry for the pain if it’s a dumb human error.

If you want to hold on, I can get you that picture. I don't want you eating costs that you may not have to.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to hold on, I can get you that picture. I don't want you eating costs that you may not have to.

Sure thing - I pulled another unit to the bench in any case to put its through its paces.

For reference, the markings on the U7 IC should be upside down from the writing on the board. There is a very hard to see pin-1 dot which needs to match the dot in white on the board (opposite the U7 indicator, also confusingly). Its most likely my brain miswired and installed it the other way around, explaining the lack of a functioning input.

This is all part of the design-for-manufacture process - if a trained monkey (me) can't do it correctly all the time, it needs some improvements :)

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing - I pulled another unit to the bench in any case to put its through its paces.

For reference, the markings on the U7 IC should be upside down from the writing on the board. There is a very hard to see pin-1 dot which needs to match the dot in white on the board (opposite the U7 indicator, also confusingly). Its most likely my brain miswired and installed it the other way around, explaining the lack of a functioning input.

This is all part of the design-for-manufacture process - if a trained monkey (me) can't do it correctly all the time, it needs some improvements :)
Six-sigma stuff there, bro

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does this impact all GPIO on the COMBICON block?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just input. Output is handled by the adjacent chip.
Frack. I was going to use that for input from the Tunze sense circuit (using the existing ATO module for usage tracking).

I have the bulk of my components arriving Monday and Tuesday. Is there something I can check to see if it affects my board as well (vs a layer 8 error limited to just one board?)

Either way, no I'll will...this project is awesome :)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frack. I was going to use that for input from the Tunze sense circuit (using the existing ATO module for usage tracking).

I have the bulk of my components arriving Monday and Tuesday. Is there something I can check to see if it affects my board as well (vs a layer 8 error limited to just one board?)

Either way, no I'll will...this project is awesome :)

Its likely I didn't do this consistently, or at all. I just screened the other panel on hand and everything is installed the right way around. So either this was all a labeling issue, or a one (or two? :() off failure.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thats embarrassing and somehow didn't catch this until now.

The silkscreen label on the board is wrong (again).

GP19 is actually GP26
GP26 is actually GP19.

The two pin designators are swapped :(

on the rev d boards?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thats embarrassing and somehow didn't catch this until now.

The silkscreen label on the board is wrong (again).

GP19 is actually GP26
GP26 is actually GP19.

The two pin designators are swapped :(

Its likely I didn't do this consistently, or at all. I just screened the other panel on hand and everything is installed the right way around. So either this was all a labeling issue, or a one (or two? :() off failure.

Got the float sensor working, but the optical sensor is still a no-go. I'll get you that picture shortly.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the float sensor working, but the optical sensor is still a no-go. I'll get you that picture shortly.

And yes, its swapped on RevD boards. C was ... even worse, so I printed a fix sticker for those, however I think that one is right (I'll go look).

Ok, so the board does work, but we still require something on the optical. Relief.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sense circuit resistors won’t matter, as we are drawing nano amps of bias from the digital input circuit. You can use 10k and up for dividers.
Digital input circuit? I'm planning on pulling direct from the Tunze PCB where it feeds the pump. (The two black wires on the bottom of the PCB).
I haven't been able to trace that back anywhere on the circuit to find a lower voltage and/or current location to tap into.
20181229_183056.jpeg

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digital input circuit? I'm planning on pulling direct from the Tunze PCB where it feeds the pump. (The two black wires on the bottom of the PCB).
I haven't been able to trace that back anywhere on the circuit to find a lower voltage and/or current location to tap into.
20181229_183056.jpeg

The base board pico board's digital input, which is a 5v safe input (but any voltage over 2V will be a logical high). Note the base board has a 2.2k pull-down, so if you're using very high value resistors factor this in.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, its swapped on RevD boards. C was ... even worse, so I printed a fix sticker for those, however I think that one is right (I'll go look).

Ok, so the board does work, but we still require something on the optical. Relief.

Do you still need the picture?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still need the picture?
Nope - if the input works correctly with a float the input chip is installed the right way around.

I mainly went down this route since I _did_ install it backwards on a few boards but thought I had caught this before shipping. The messed up label didn't even hit me.

The RevC board label is also wrong in the same way.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you have been busy dude. You should get with our Reef-pi guy...What is your code written in?

Great to see a community developing around an open source aquarium controller with the RPI.

I've been working on a similar project since 2012 and also planning to release it as open source for while, but never got the time required. Hopefully it will happen this year.

I little suggestion: Put an female USB port hooked to the I2C bus, to enable it to access all existing Reef Angel peripherals.

31307184234_187e781427_c.jpg

24707744851_5d94e75c1b_c.jpg

27750071646_7064d97d38_c.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back