Reef pi build Matevz, Slovenia, Europe

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option for the fail safe float is to wire a mains rated float switch in-line with the top off pump. That way, if the water level raises too high, power is cut to the pump without relying on any software.

OP
OP
M

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael that is great suggestion, I just wire one float in between 12v power supply of ato pump and pump. So if water rises too much it shuts off 12v power and also pump..this also works if relay fails to shut off.. (this happens sometimes) tnx, but I still imagine why my setting doesnt shut down my pump after given period of time..

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi me again, about ato wireing..now I have one optical and one flow sensor.. if optical fails water rises to float sensor and shuts off pump.
On reef pi ato we have 2 ato connections. Do I wire them both or do I wire float between signal of optical sensor so if optical fails, float shuts off signal and pump shuts off? Why then there are 2 float connections?

What I have done isto use a separate 12V power supply for all my ATO / float switch related stuff. Then I've installed a high level float switch set 30mm higher than my water level should ever be at normal working circumstances. This I run through a separate relay (separate to Reef-Pi). So if ever my ATO, or AWC gets stuck in the "On" state, all power will get cut to this 12V supply.

The last step in this puzzle is how to get Reef-Pi to notify me when it happens.

My build thread here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dewds-big-cube-reef-pi-build.658048/page-3#post-6771481

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael that is great suggestion, I just wire one float in between 12v power supply of ato pump and pump. So if water rises too much it shuts off 12v power and also pump..this also works if relay fails to shut off.. (this happens sometimes) tnx, but I still imagine why my setting doesnt shut down my pump after given period of time..

What if you used two float switches in series? One in ATO Reservoir and one in Sump of tank. The one in ATO Res must be set to open when RO level gets low and the one in the sump must be set to make contact when the level drops.

I have done that on an old stand-alone DIY ATO I built a few years ago. Worked well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back