Reef-Pi Controllers: New all-in-one with power bar, and the original Pico

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im super pumped to see this one. The new board layout with the db9 looks rad!
Question, the pH circuit will give the same values as the @Roberto_b 's board, or its different (based on the adc IC)? And with this layout we'll have connectors on two ends..?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im super pumped to see this one. The new board layout with the db9 looks rad!
Question, the pH circuit will give the same values as the @Roberto_b 's board, or its different (based on the adc IC)? And with this layout we'll have connectors on two ends..?

Different overall circuit, but same topology/design. The measuring component is actually a microcontroller (SAMD10 series). The plan so far is to just emulate the command/response flow of the ADS1114 so its a drop-in equivalent to the other pH board - this works fine as we're adding all the calibration logic to reef-pi its self.

There are connectors on both ends - the case is small, only 5" long on its longest side, so can't fit all that much stuff in there. Side 1 hosts power input, DB9, 1 wire, and 2x0-10V. Side 2 hosts pH, 2 digital in (with 5V), 2 digital out (5V), and I2c. Both of these use the Phoenix COMBICON PTSM pluggable terminal blocks. Wire poke in connectors are on a removable plug which mates into the board connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
panel2-sm.jpg

Ahead of schedule, first shot of the new panel came in. Missing some components and no stencil for it (got jinxed somehow). Probably get some of those next week.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it’s a pico board , with minimal features (no pca9685, multiple temp sensors etc ), and pi zero is good enough to run it.
The board itself does not include pi zero and the headers will work with pi 3 or 2 as well. So , you can just use the board with pi 3 if you want, but I definitely wanted to test and use it with pi zero. My understanding is that it will bring down cost, and if it works on pi zero it will most certainly work with pi 3. Does that make sense ?

I wonder how hard it would be to make two versions of this board...One for PICO and one for full blown setup. Still really really cool to see soemthing like this.
Some real advantages that I can think of off the bat.
1) easy jump start into the Reef-pi controllers
2) No soldiering assures no mistakes, even if you are good at soldiering.
3) VERY VERY CLEAN LOOKING, Clean connections etc.
4) Could be very modeler in the future, IE PH probe boards
5) Not to many options out there anymore. Basically its APEX running the show. Would be great to give us reef keepers another easy option.

Very Very cool..Love the printing on the boards also

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how hard it would be to make two versions of this board...One for PICO and one for full blown setup. Still really really cool to see soemthing like this.

I'm taking a different tack than a jumbo controller board, since there are some scalability concerns with just lumping a billion things on one controller. I'm planning on decomposing the various functions (power control, I/O, pump control, LED driver, etc) into USB-connected pods. They're easier to test, and you only need to add what you need. Part of the contributions I'm working on for reef-pi are to get more pluggable control systems to make this possible.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More testing work. Got all the digital interfaces validated!

testing.jpg

Burned some time on a defective American DJ power trip - two of the relays were always firing together. Why?

short.jpg

(Excuse the iPhone through microscope eyepiece picture) Poor etch/imaging/quality control on the PCB inside of the power strip. Nothing an exacto knife can't fix, but annoying none the less.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

testing.jpg

Burned some time on a defective American DJ power trip - two of the relays were always firing together. Why?

short.jpg

(Excuse the iPhone through microscope eyepiece picture) Poor etch/imaging/quality control on the PCB inside of the power strip. Nothing an exacto knife can't fix, but annoying none the less.
My first ADJ strip has exactly this issue. 5-6 channel switch together :) .

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking a different tack than a jumbo controller board, since there are some scalability concerns with just lumping a billion things on one controller. I'm planning on decomposing the various functions (power control, I/O, pump control, LED driver, etc) into USB-connected pods. They're easier to test, and you only need to add what you need. Part of the contributions I'm working on for reef-pi are to get more pluggable control systems to make this possible.

@theatrus - WOW! Just WOW! It would appear you are a wizard and an artist!

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

testing.jpg

short.jpg

So is this this still ok to buy? I’m just now starting to buy my materials for the first and second stage. Wondering if there’s a better alternative. I haven’t found any better.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this this still ok to buy? I’m just now starting to buy my materials for the first and second stage. Wondering if there’s a better alternative. I haven’t found any better.

I don't have anything ready yet, but if you're interested in working with a beta board, I'm happy to add you to the queue (just DM or email me)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back