Reef pi help

Buddy524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed an put together a reef pi. All 16 outlets are working. I am stuck I am not sure how to wire a two wire float switch as a input to shut the return pump off incase of an overflow? My set up now is a polarized switch on a 12v DC relays that is connected to a float switch so if the water in the display over fills it shuts off and I have to manually turn it back on.i would like to remove the old system and do The same with reef pi if possible?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed an put together a reef pi. All 16 outlets are working. I am stuck I am not sure how to wire a two wire float switch as a input to shut the return pump off incase of an overflow? My set up now is a polarized switch on a 12v DC relays that is connected to a float switch so if the water in the display over fills it shuts off and I have to manually turn it back on.i would like to remove the old system and do The same with reef pi if possible?
Two wire goat switch is a push button in terms of functionality

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good method for a float switch is to put it inline on the signal wire going to your relay. If the relay is on and the signal is cut from float switch it'll turn off. This is nice as it doesn't rely on the Pi so even if it locked up the relay would turn off.

OP
OP
Buddy524

Buddy524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched one of the videos on reef pi. With just a two wire float. I put one lead on ground and one on gpio followed the video and put it in python. Then went back into reef pi and set a macro. Everything works awesome now. My other system I had done was with a 12vdc relay that would shut off the pump if the float went up. It was on a polarized switch I did that so I had to manually turn the switch back on so if the tank water was getting to high then shut off then when the float switch went down again turn back on. I didn't want the pump to keep Turning back on if there was a problem. So that worked out good until I was away and there was a power loss and the switch shut off and being a manual switch I couldn't turn it back on. Now I have the reef pi set if water gets to high shut down and wait 15 minutes to restart. It's working perfect now. I was just a little stuck on the wiring and python. Thank you for reaching out to me. I know you guy's are busy. I love the program that you all have designed and making it available for everyone. Thanks Rob.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can wire a float switch in may different ways, its a choice between simplicity (just use gpio and GND) and robustness.
I recommend this: https://raspberrypihq.com/use-a-push-button-with-raspberry-pi-gpio/
Its a decent compromise that has worked for me. This is using a GPIO with 3.3V pull up (with a resistor). You can use this circuit to wire up any switch (float) and use the corresponding gpio pin to create an inlet and then use that in your ato module (check the adafruit ato guide for details )
Let us know how it goes

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back