Reef-pi is giving erratic readings.

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I just received my robo-tank system and things worked well for about a day.

Now all my readings are erratic. The pH is bouncing between 8 and 10 every time it reads. The temp is showing similar issues.

Has any one encountered this before?
Does anyone know a fix?

Thanks,

OP
OP
Atrumblood

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a screen if what I am seeing.
Screenshot_20210523-130245_Chrome.jpg

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry to see, on hand I'm not sure what could be happening, seems odd temps and pH would do this. What kind of jumps are you seeing with temperature?

I'm thinking maybe it's a bad power supply, either voltage is jumping or maybe pulsing some high noise levels. Any chance you have another you could try?

If you disable the pH and then open the calibration window what kind of readings are you seeing?

OP
OP
Atrumblood

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry to see, on hand I'm not sure what could be happening, seems odd temps and pH would do this. What kind of jumps are you seeing with temperature?

I'm thinking maybe it's a bad power supply, either voltage is jumping or maybe pulsing some high noise levels. Any chance you have another you could try?

If you disable the pH and then open the calibration window what kind of readings are you seeing?
Thanks for the reply.

I deleted the pH and temp probes then tried to add them again.

I was getting a stream of 404 page not found errors.

I couldn't reenable them from the configuration menu.

So then I Uninstalled reef-pi and reinstalled.
That seems to have corrected the issue for now.

The calibration was reading slightly low before I used the calibration standards.

This all started when I tried to enable adafruit.IO and started logging to that interface.

The pH, Temp, and the CPU/Mem were jumping in similar ways.

Also, the power is being from my computers 5V rail.

I hope that gives you enough information to come up with a theory.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

I deleted the pH and temp probes then tried to add them again.

I was getting a stream of 404 page not found errors.

I couldn't reenable them from the configuration menu.

So then I Uninstalled reef-pi and reinstalled.
That seems to have corrected the issue for now.

The calibration was reading slightly low before I used the calibration standards.

This all started when I tried to enable adafruit.IO and started logging to that interface.

The pH, Temp, and the CPU/Mem were jumping in similar ways.

Also, the power is being from my computers 5V rail.

I hope that gives you enough information to come up with a theory.
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if it's something to do with adafruit.IO not being setup properly. It doesn't sound hardware related other than possibly a power supply issue but that's likely ok as what you're experiencing doesn't quite fit that either. The fact the other graphs were doing it as well it seems like data maybe was flowing into the system, maybe charts read it then local data causing the jumps. Sorry I haven't used this feature so don't have any experience but I've seen some have difficulties getting it configured properly. I'm glad you got it working again, lets see how it goes I guess and take it from there.

When you open the calibration window you will only see the uncalibrated value so being off some is normal, maybe that was the confusion there?

Back