Reef-pi on Nano (Fluval Evo XII)

julioabreu01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and a "legacy" hobbyist. I shut down my last saltwater aquarium more than 10 years ago in Brazil. But now that I'm leaving in US and with all the pandemic-stress I decided to go back to the Reef world with a nano. I started a Fluval Evo XII with standard configuration about a month ago. Its doing pretty well and I already have two little ocellaris as well as some soft corals.
But as my other hobby is DIY and I'm a IT professional I decided to just blend everything together and bring some automation to the reef!

So, Im leveraging the awesome Open source Reef-Pi by @Ranjib and will be posting the advance of the build here to share and mainly to get your feedbacks and inputs.

Material so far:

Main Controller and Sensors:

Raspberry PI 4B 2GB RAM
(you can use other versions, I just went with the latest one... you know, Im an IT Nerd ) - 35.00 USD from Adafruit https://www.adafruit.com/product/4292

Protoboard and Jumper wires - Less than 10.00 USD on Ebay

Temperature Sensor Kit - 8.99 on Amazon - Strongly recommend this one as it comes with the required resistor so you dont need to solder anything (I hate soldering).

Liquid Level Sensor - 7.99 on Amazon

2x Cat-5 Connector - 4.5 USD on HomeDepot - To build the connection between main board and power box

Power Box

4 Ch 5V Relay board
- 5.95 on Ebay - I decided to go with just 4 channel power box as it will be enough for the equipment I have on my Nano.

3 Gang Plastic Eletrical Box - about 5.00 on Homedepot - Space for 2 dual outlets and a 3rd slot to accommodate the relay board as well as connections

2x Dual Outlets - About 1.50 on HomeDepot

Cheap Power Strip - Less than 5.00 USD or you can salvage from your garage - To steal the inlet cable and power switch

Wallplates, Electrical connectors - About 10,00 on HomeDepot

And here is how I'm doing so far:

Temperature sensor:

IMG_2171.jpg

Preparing the Power Box connection:

IMG_2128.jpg IMG_2129.jpg
IMG_2131.jpg

Preparing the Power Box:

IMG_2136.jpg IMG_2142.jpg
IMG_2143.jpg IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

Placing the Level Sensor (ATO):

IMG_2163.jpg IMG_2160.jpg IMG_2157.jpg

Everything working nice and smooth (I know, I miss the Pi housing too :p):

IMG_2168.jpg IMG_2169.jpg IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2172.PNG

IMG_2173.PNG

Hope you guys like it! Please share your feedbacks or questions! - IMG_2130.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
julioabreu01

julioabreu01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Neat build!

Season 7 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Thank You! I need to make a housing for the controller but I'm pretty satisfied so far....
As soon I have some time I will start digging into the code to try to connect to a more robust dashboard service like freeboard.io or something similar so I can monitor it from outside my network (I know I can do it with Adafruit.io but dont like too much the look and feel).

Regards!

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I'm slowly working on my reef-pi build and have the temp probe working and waiting on parts to get a PH probe running. I love your power boxes can you post a some more information or pictures on your connection from the Pi GPIO to the RJ45 connector? I'd like to see how they map out. Thanks.

OP
OP
julioabreu01

julioabreu01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I'm slowly working on my reef-pi build and have the temp probe working and waiting on parts to get a PH probe running. I love your power boxes can you post a some more information or pictures on your connection from the Pi GPIO to the RJ45 connector? I'd like to see how they map out. Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for the comments!

I made straight connections between the GPIOs and the RJ-45, no special order. The only thing you have to take into considerations is that anything you enter in connector 1 in one side will be out in connector 1 in the other side.
So, just for my own organization I connected all the Data pins in one side (1-4) and the ground and V in the other side (7-8).
One important on the bridge cable (network patch) - Use straight cables and NOT crossover cables, otherwise you will scramble the connections.
Screenshot 2021-01-25 103726.jpg

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Thanks for the comments!

I made straight connections between the GPIOs and the RJ-45, no special order. The only thing you have to take into considerations is that anything you enter in connector 1 in one side will be out in connector 1 in the other side.
So, just for my own organization I connected all the Data pins in one side (1-4) and the ground and V in the other side (7-8).
One important on the bridge cable (network patch) - Use straight cables and NOT crossover cables, otherwise you will scramble the connections.
Screenshot 2021-01-25 103726.jpg
That makes a lot of sense now. So you use one pair for power to the controller board and another 2 pairs for the on/off data to each socket. Is that right?

OP
OP
julioabreu01

julioabreu01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense now. So you use one pair for power to the controller board and another 2 pairs for the on/off data to each socket. Is that right?
Yes, Exactly. To connect the RJ45 female sockets to the board I just used jumper cables, cutting one side to crimp into the socket and connecting the other side directly in the GPIO (PI and Relay board) . IMG_2128.jpg IMG_2133.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. Your build looks awesome. Off to a great start.
Thank you so much for the kind words. It means a lot for us the reef-pi community. We all learn a bit from individual build threads.

Regarding the dashboard integration. reef-pi ships with prometheus integration, if you are ok with non-cloud data storage, prometheus+grafana will beat anything out there by a large margin, as long as charting/alerting capabilities are concerned. The adafruit.io integration is somewhat similar to what you mentioned, worth exploring.
Inside the code base, reef-pi has a dedicated telemetry sub-system for metric emission, that interface can be used to integrate new drivers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back