OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added one panel's worth of order capacity to the online store, but I'm still waiting for a few of the more expensive parts to head my way (mainly the I2C isolation chip). Expect those orders to start making their way out in 1-2 weeks.

As for the RevE board, here are my current plans. Currently naming it the PicoModular.

Smaller tweaks:

- Removing the 5V buffered I2C port. While its nice to have up to 10m or so of I2C using the HDMI driver chip, I think the most compelling use case was to add a PCA9685 chip.
- Fixing the 0-10V pinout to match 1:1 with a Kessil cable.
- Fixing the pull-down resistors (from 2.2k to 100k) on the digital input to support the DFrobot level sensors more directly without other external tricks.
- Adding another pair of digital inputs where the I2C header used to be.
- Removing the 5V digital output current limit chip. In RevD this used a 500mA USB active current limiter. Its cheap, but I don't think most people ran into it and not having to load another one-off chip is actually a big time saver.
- Make a BOM variant which does not populate the pH circuit section (TBD). Saves some money on an entry level side.
- TBD: Remove the SMC / power on circuit and beeper chip. Its currently unused except to beep at startup, mainly since we never released any change to Reef-Pi to make it beep locally :-D

Larger tweaks:
- Add two "module slots" which are on 0.1" headers sitting above the existing board section, using the same or similar spacers as the RPi Zero (TBD: clearance around the DB9 connector - I might have to move this to a board-edge connector). Tweak the case design to accommodate connector positions on the modular slots
- Each module slot will have 12V, 5V, I2C, and a few dedicated Raspberry Pi GPIO lines running to it (whatever is left after the existing I/O).
- Design a "protoboard module" which is just strip-board or circular pad board for prototyping circuits, brought out to terminal connectors. Build your own circuit on this easily :)
- Design a PCA9685 PWM output board
- Design a 12V DC pump / doser output board (with PCA9685)

Other module ideas?

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing to add, yet. But "your killing me smalls," You took $10off and now tease with a revision E? Do I wait for the module slots? My logical mind says yes, my impulse says get the RevD and deal/tinker later...
Such first world problems in my mind today

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to not refer dfrobot's water level sensor, and go with plain float switches going forward. Software-wise, it does not matter, so everything should work with any old or new dfrobot based setup. I just didnt find anything that makes them significantly better. They are expensive and have more wires. .. so going with simple float switches in 3.0

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to not refer dfrobot's water level sensor, and go with plain float switches going forward. Software-wise, it does not matter, so everything should work with any old or new dfrobot based setup. I just didnt find anything that makes them significantly better. They are expensive and have more wires. .. so going with simple float switches in 3.0

Sounds good - I have a bunch of add-ons to add to the store including some probes and a bunch of floats anyway. I've been pretty cold on the opticals over time as salt creep messes them up no matter what.

I favor no-touch reliability at all costs over high maintenance items.

jwpadgett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY LED (LEDGroupBuy Lumia 5.2) has 5 channels. I'm currently using a StormX, but want to upgrade to a full featured controller. Does your board support digital PWM dimming? How many channels does it support?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY LED (LEDGroupBuy Lumia 5.2) has 5 channels. I'm currently using a StormX, but want to upgrade to a full featured controller. Does your board support digital PWM dimming? How many channels does it support?

Not right now. 2x 0-10V only on-board.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am building my first raspbbery project. I am still waitng for mikes hat2, but for now, just to test I connected i2c 16ch relay board to pi. Pi works ok from my ipad and Iphone and I am connected with vnc viewer on windows pc. it lights up, but I am lost at reef pi settings for i2c relay control... I have one more relay on the way wich is db9 relay so this one I will manage to wire and test I thing. I cant find any info about i2c relay setup in reef pi. connection is ok. 3.3v, sda, sdl and groung. relay board is this one...thank you.
and picture of connections..

unnamed.jpg

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybee I need to install MCP23017driver on pi so reef pi will recognize it And I could select it?

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seams like its not supported yet..
I am not developer so I will need to wait for now and use normal relay board..

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seams like its not supported yet..
I am not developer so I will need to wait for now and use normal relay board..

The MCP13xx driver wasn't made yet. However, you can use the PCA9685 as a digital output chip with Reef-Pi 3.x

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you theatrus, so I need to wait for mikes hat v2 arrives and wire it to PCA9685 pins I am also planning to drive 5 ch 24v led pannels. I bought mosfets for each channel and I will also wire mosfets pwm signals to PCA9685 board Sorry maybee I need to make build threat..

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matevz, please do. Seems you have great ideas and thinking outside of the box. And, using a build thread is nice for backing up your data for reference later.
I love the solidstate relay idea. May need to get a few for my projects.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing to add, yet. But "your killing me smalls," You took $10off and now tease with a revision E? Do I wait for the module slots? My logical mind says yes, my impulse says get the RevD and deal/tinker later...
Such first world problems in my mind today

^^ what he said haha. Would it be possible to swap a Rev D for E? Are they the same board size?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, stupid question....finally getting around to connecting my lights, using the 0-10V via TRS. How/where do I add them in reef-pi? Adding as a jack doesn't work...

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had really bad luck with float switches. Having had some fail in as little as 2-3 weeks from replacement. I was hoping the IR were more reliable.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had really bad luck with float switches. Having had some fail in as little as 2-3 weeks from replacement. I was hoping the IR were more reliable.
well, both will be supported. Since software is not really aware of the type and treats both of them as digital input (on/off)/

Trodrigues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need 3.0 beta builds at least. Create a driver first, with address 72 and type pico board . Then create an analog input connector with pin 0 and associate the driver. Next, create a ph probe and associate the analog input with it. That’s all

@theatrus can you please add this to the doc/readme , that we can easily refer going forward. I think others will need this information as well
Hello

I gave this a try but not having much luck, I have a new board just received it last month is it possible the address has change? or has anything changed with the latest 3.0 release

Thanks

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I gave this a try but not having much luck, I have a new board just received it last month is it possible the address has change? or has anything changed with the latest 3.0 release

Thanks
@theatrus might have some clue

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back