Reef-Pi Controllers: New all-in-one with power bar, and the original Pico

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anymore reef Pi boards available? Was looking to pick one up off this batch or the next.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 0 and 1 (the logical PWM channel, not the actual pin it’s on)

I used pins 0 and 1 for my first light, but trying to add pins 2 and 3 for my 2nd light failed.

The controller is only controlling intensity, the lights don't have individual color channels, so should I just use pin 0 for one light and pin 1 for the 2nd?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pins 0 and 1 for my first light, but trying to add pins 2 and 3 for my 2nd light failed.

The controller is only controlling intensity, the lights don't have individual color channels, so should I just use pin 0 for one light and pin 1 for the 2nd?
Yes. Raspberry pi has only two hardware timers , hence only two pwm pins , 0 and 1

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added one panel's worth of order capacity to the online store, but I'm still waiting for a few of the more expensive parts to head my way (mainly the I2C isolation chip). Expect those orders to start making their way out in 1-2 weeks.

As for the RevE board, here are my current plans. Currently naming it the PicoModular.

Smaller tweaks:

- Removing the 5V buffered I2C port. While its nice to have up to 10m or so of I2C using the HDMI driver chip, I think the most compelling use case was to add a PCA9685 chip.
- Fixing the 0-10V pinout to match 1:1 with a Kessil cable.
- Fixing the pull-down resistors (from 2.2k to 100k) on the digital input to support the DFrobot level sensors more directly without other external tricks.
- Adding another pair of digital inputs where the I2C header used to be.
- Removing the 5V digital output current limit chip. In RevD this used a 500mA USB active current limiter. Its cheap, but I don't think most people ran into it and not having to load another one-off chip is actually a big time saver.
- Make a BOM variant which does not populate the pH circuit section (TBD). Saves some money on an entry level side.
- TBD: Remove the SMC / power on circuit and beeper chip. Its currently unused except to beep at startup, mainly since we never released any change to Reef-Pi to make it beep locally :-D

Larger tweaks:
- Add two "module slots" which are on 0.1" headers sitting above the existing board section, using the same or similar spacers as the RPi Zero (TBD: clearance around the DB9 connector - I might have to move this to a board-edge connector). Tweak the case design to accommodate connector positions on the modular slots
- Each module slot will have 12V, 5V, I2C, and a few dedicated Raspberry Pi GPIO lines running to it (whatever is left after the existing I/O).
- Design a "protoboard module" which is just strip-board or circular pad board for prototyping circuits, brought out to terminal connectors. Build your own circuit on this easily :)
- Design a PCA9685 PWM output board
- Design a 12V DC pump / doser output board (with PCA9685)

Other module ideas?

@theatrus what's the status on Rev E?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 wont work, as the first LED switched on will present as a short to ground. When the outlet is switched “on”, it presents as a very low resistance path to ground.

I'm trying to clean thing up. Would this be a viable alternative to #1? Basically a voltage divider to feed the LEDs....

image001.png

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have stock of these boards at the moment?

I checked your blog, and noticed that you were also a user of eve-central.com :] If I could get back the hours I spent coding against those APIs....

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the delays, but I did get some good holiday travels in between designing new boards. I'm basically out of RevD boards at this junction, but RevE is absolutely in the works. I'm also tracking the drivers and updated build guides from Ranjib to make sure we're supporting the latest hardware that Reef-Pi offers.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the delays, but I did get some good holiday travels in between designing new boards. I'm basically out of RevD boards at this junction, but RevE is absolutely in the works. I'm also tracking the drivers and updated build guides from Ranjib to make sure we're supporting the latest hardware that Reef-Pi offers.

Holidays? Travels?

How DARE you?

chromstyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How can i preorder RevE Board ?
Is any possibility planed to control Flow Pumps for example the Jebao CP Series (i preffer CP25)

are the mars led controller already included ? or do i have to order it additionaly ?

sorry for so many questions but im just starting my reef-pi expiriences...

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can i preorder RevE Board ?
Is any possibility planed to control Flow Pumps for example the Jebao CP Series (i preffer CP25)

are the mars led controller already included ? or do i have to order it additionaly ?

sorry for so many questions but im just starting my reef-pi expiriences...
Nope. Those are not part of the base board if I recall correctly. Baseboard supports db9 connector for adj power strip, 1 temperature sensor, 1 ato sensor, 1 ph sensor port and one 0-10 v output for kessil

chromstyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah okok thanks for your fast reply...

some more Questions
1st) i need to have 10 consumers need to be controlled.

CH01 Wavemaker (3Pin Connector +24V DC, Ground, variable 0-5V)
CH02 Wavemaker (3Pin Connector +24V DC, Ground, variable 0-5V)
CH03 Returnpump (3Pin Connector +24V DC, Ground, variable 0-5V)
CH04 Skimmer 230v on/off
CH05 Ozone 230v on/off
CH06 UV 230v on/off
CH07 Light algue refugium 230v on/off
CH08 Heater 230v on/off
CH09 Pellet Reactor 230v on/off
CH10 Mars Aqua 165W LED Light via Controller

- - -

CH1-CH3 need PWM Module
for CH4-CH9 (in total 6 consumers) i will use a 8 Pin Relais Board
CH10 controll via PWM Converter for Mars Aqua by ML Reefkeeping

Question: is is possible to use theses features with stock RaspberryPi GPIOs or do i need extension board ?

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a REV D board and case.. I see they're out of stock though. I'll email in as well - but I wanted to comment here. Maybe it'll just convert to a REV E board when they're ready and ship then?

Trodrigues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running mechanical float for ato? If so are you using resistors? After my float turn on it never shuts off

Thanks

sensorwiring.jpg

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon! Soon!

Honestly, the corona virus shutdowns for prototype PCBs from China delayed things. (My proto boards are from China, final boards are from the US)
Final board is Made in USA? It will be indicated on the box? To reduce the duty fees in Canada.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final board is Made in USA? It will be indicated on the box? To reduce the duty fees in Canada.

Final assembly is USA (and has been for all revisions), including the PCB, assembly of PCB (PCBA), and case (Polycase). Components are various sources and mostly non-US, since most don't have a US made counterpart.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final assembly is USA (and has been for all revisions), including the PCB, assembly of PCB (PCBA), and case (Polycase). Components are various sources and mostly non-US, since most don't have a US made counterpart.
I'll be able to order that from Canada?

Back