Reef pi toggle switches

Gallagherb524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have been running reef pi for almost three years now and never had a issue until now. It's on a raspberry pi 3 b. When I want to give the fish some frozen food I always lift the float switch to turn off the pumps for 15 minutes. I've done this since day one so I can always make sure that the overflow protection float is working properly. I did it the other day and had notice the pumps weren't going back on. When I went to the equipment page the toggles would turn things off but not back on? I then rebooted and when I went back into reef pi everything was gone? All the equipment,timers and macros like it was a brand new install? It was version 4.1 I reinstalled reef pi with 5.1 but I can seem to get the float switch to shut down the pumps and the other issue that is odd is now the toggle switches are working backwards so off powers on the outlets and on shuts the outlets off? Does anyone have any ideas on what may have happened and what is happening now? Thank you for your time.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have been running reef pi for almost three years now and never had a issue until now. It's on a raspberry pi 3 b. When I want to give the fish some frozen food I always lift the float switch to turn off the pumps for 15 minutes. I've done this since day one so I can always make sure that the overflow protection float is working properly. I did it the other day and had notice the pumps weren't going back on. When I went to the equipment page the toggles would turn things off but not back on? I then rebooted and when I went back into reef pi everything was gone? All the equipment,timers and macros like it was a brand new install? It was version 4.1 I reinstalled reef pi with 5.1 but I can seem to get the float switch to shut down the pumps and the other issue that is odd is now the toggle switches are working backwards so off powers on the outlets and on shuts the outlets off? Does anyone have any ideas on what may have happened and what is happening now? Thank you for your time.
Hi, I'm not sure how things went bad, maybe a file on the SD card corrupted but for the toggle switches working backwards try changing the "reverse" setting for the connector being used for the toggle switch. If you go to the "admin" tab then the "connectors" tab find the connector for the switch and edit it. When you edit it you'll see a checkbox "reversed", tick that box and save it. Then go back to the "admin" tab and press the reload button. After that it should work as expected.

OP
OP
Gallagherb524

Gallagherb524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, I'm not sure how things went bad, maybe a file on the SD card corrupted but for the toggle switches working backwards try changing the "reverse" setting for the connector being used for the toggle switch. If you go to the "admin" tab then the "connectors" tab find the connector for the switch and edit it. When you edit it you'll see a checkbox "reversed", tick that box and save it. Then go back to the "admin" tab and press the reload button. After that it should work as expected.
Hi Rob. Thank you for your reply. Setting it to reverse worked for the toggle switches. I am not sure why I had to set them in reverse this time but it worked. I still can't seem to get the float switch to shut down the pumps still? I moved this to reef-pi subforum for ranjid.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share some detail on what type of hardware you are using ? And check the logs as you press the toggle switch , reef-pi should print out the details of outlet state and any error.

OP
OP
Gallagherb524

Gallagherb524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Ranjid. i ended up reformatting the sd card and reinstalled everything. the switches still have to be set to reverse as rob mentioned. that fixed the switch issue. i am not sure what happened to have the system go down like that. maybe the sd card got corrupted some how like rob had said. I also reinstalled the sudo nano Float1.py script again. I set up the ato to run off a macro. I set a macro called overflow protection and have it set to turn off the return pump wait 900 seconds and then turn the return pump back on. I've tested it a few times and its working like it should now. I feel comfortable enough to hook the tank equipment back up to it now and that's what I am doing at the moment. and also writing new macro and timer schedules. its just strange that when I activated the float switch the other day the pumps didn't turn back on and then when I rebooted the pie everything was erased on reef pi ui . its been running non stop for almost three years. maybe the micro sd card is getting tired?

OP
OP
Gallagherb524

Gallagherb524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started to add the rest of the outlets and I have this error message now? and once I turn an outlet off it stays off until I reboot the pi

Error: Minified React error #31; visit https://reactjs.org/docs/error-deco...read properties of null (reading '0')&args[]= for the full message or use the non-minified dev environment for full errors and additional helpful warnings.

in td
in tr
in tbody
in table
in div
in div
in i
in Connect(i)
in i
in div
in div
in div
in div
in i
in Connect(i)
in i
in a

in td
in tr
in tbody
in table
in div
in div
in i
in Connect(i)
in i
in div
in div
in div
in div
in i
in Connect(i)
in i
in a

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started to add the rest of the outlets and I have this error message now? and once I turn an outlet off it stays off until I reboot the pi

Error: Minified React error #31; visit https://reactjs.org/docs/error-decoder.html?invariant=31&args[]=TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading '0')&args[]= for the full message or use the non-minified dev environment for full errors and additional helpful warnings.

in td
in tr
in tbody
in table
in div
in div
in i
in Connect(i)
in i
in div
in div
in div
in div
in i
in Connect(i)
in i
in a

in td
in tr
in tbody
in table
in div
in div
in i
in Connect(i)
in i
in div
in div
in div
in div
in i
in Connect(i)
in i
in a
This happens (ui crash ) when you have connectors (oulets, inlets etc ) that dont have a associated driver. Did you delete a driver without deleting the connectors first ?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens (ui crash ) when you have connectors (oulets, inlets etc ) that dont have a associated driver. Did you delete a driver without deleting the connectors first ?
Btw, I have fixed the ui crash issue (When associated driver is not -resent ) in the main software and the fix will be out in 6.0 release

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been running non stop for almost three years. maybe the micro sd card is getting tired?
I think it might be worth replacing the SD card, after 3 years that's a lot of writing and they do have limits. It's good to use cards that are rated for high endurance such as this one, these are built to be continually written to so in theory should last longer.

OP
OP
Gallagherb524

Gallagherb524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjid. The only driver I am running is the one that comes with reef-pi pre installed. I've noticed that the macros aren't working correctly again and am loosing outlet controller again. I included a few pictures of how it's wired. I am using a 5v power supply to power the relay's. I am going to take everything off the wall and take apart the outlet box and see if the power supply or a loose connection is causing the problems. When I was reinstalling the outlets I got to about 10 outlets when it started acting up. I installed all 16 and tested them but there is only 8 that are working so I am thinking one strip of relay's may have lost the 5volts. I am not sure why that would crash the pi but I think that might be the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20210809_155258837.jpg
    IMG_20210809_155258837.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20210805-193707.png
    Screenshot_20210805-193707.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20210805-161125.png
    Screenshot_20210805-161125.png
    411 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210810_172914702.jpg
    IMG_20210810_172914702.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Gallagherb524

Gallagherb524

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjid. The only driver I am running is the one that comes with reef-pi pre installed. I've noticed that the macros aren't working correctly again and am loosing outlet controller again. I included a few pictures of how it's wired. I am using a 5v power supply to power the relay's. I am going to take everything off the wall and take apart the outlet box and see if the power supply or a loose connection is causing the problems. When I was reinstalling the outlets I got to about 10 outlets when it started acting up. I installed all 16 and tested them but there is only 8 that are working so I am thinking one strip of relay's may have lost the 5volts. I am not sure why that would crash the pi but I think that might be the problem?
I just wanted to give you guy's an update. I took it apart and tested the power supply. it would loose power with a draw on it. I replaced it with the 5v 2amp converter and it is working great again. I guess when the power supply failed reef pi came back with the error because it's not wired to supply power to the relay's just a signal. I should have used there's the first time the extra amp makes a huge difference on how the relay's switch now. It's a strong click were as the other power supply always sounded soft. I am surprised I even got three years out of that power supply. Oh well. It is running great again. Thank you guy's.

Screenshot_20221012-064720.png Screenshot_20221012-064438~2.png

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back