• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

reef-rc WB190.5

OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

View Badges
Reaction score
With lights, next comes coralline algae - from ARC Reef. I got these in today and will be adding it to the tank.

I could have just used some coralline algae growing on my other nano tanks but I thought of trying these and see how it compares. This will likely take months to start and does not help that my lights are on ramp-up mode @ 40% and still have 3 months to go before completing the acclimation period.

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200709165452971_COVER.jpg

Corals.com

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
With lights, next comes coralline algae - from ARC Reef. I got these in today and will be adding it to the tank.

I could have just used some coralline algae growing on my other nano tanks but I thought of trying these and see how it compares. This will likely take months to start and does not help that my lights are on ramp-up mode @ 40% and still have 3 months to go before completing the acclimation period.

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200709165452971_COVER.jpg
Cool, how long can they stay in the bottle before you have use them?

OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

View Badges
Reaction score
Cool, how long can they stay in the bottle before you have use them?
According to the manufacture, entire contents has to be used on the day your receive it or no later than 14 days from the bottling date. These bottles have Best Before 7/16/2020. I am using all mine today.

In short, the life span is short and the manufacture does mentioned that when ordering. One concern is shipping. Freaking USPS delivery service is really snail mail and could kill that time in half. Mine took 9 days just for shipping.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
According to the manufacture, entire contents has to be used on the day your receive it or no later than 14 days from the bottling date. These bottles have Best Before 7/16/2020. I am using all mine today.

In short, the life span is short and the manufacture does mentioned that when ordering. One concern is shipping. Freaking USPS delivery service is really snail mail and could kill that time in half. Mine took 9 days just for shipping.
Wow, OK, good to know.

OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

View Badges
Reaction score
It's unfortunate but my AC had issues recently and was down over a day. Temperature in the tank was reaching 81-82. The issue started over a week ago and the AC service people had problem diagnosing the issue until late Thursday.

The AC seems to be working again today...fingers crossed.
The event has caused extreme stress to all my tanks and now I seeing the fallout from it.

So far a few fish have not been able to deal with the stress. I just pulled 3 out 20 minutes ago. One is on it's last breath it seem. As for the rest, the next few days will tell. It's so frustrating.

I was within one step away from purchasing a portal air conditioner. Wished I need about this option sooner but only occurred to be early this morning. Probably could have made this whole event a little tolerable.

The ups and downs of maintaining a reef tank :(

OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

View Badges
Reaction score
Belated Updates -

Bad
:(:
  • I lost a number of my prized fish due to the August AC issues. The new tank suffered the most. I don't know exactly why; maybe because it is relatively new or could be my own doing. Even my Q tank with the semi-aggressive purple tank had issue and he too passed away.
Fish:
  • I have been acclimating and quarantining 3 pyramid butterfly fish, mystery wrasse and royal gamma for the past month and will look to into them into the tank this week after I get the equipment below installed and operating.

Aquascape & Corals:
  • A few weeks ago I started to add a selected number of LPS corals from my nano tanks over. Been so busy just had not had time to take some pictures. It's been a few weeks for some of the LPS and so far so good.
  • In additions to adding corals, I also drilled a number of holes in the aquascape during the last few water changes to accommodate coral plugs. Wished I had the foresight to have done this earlier before I started the cycling process. It's not hard with MarcoRocks; with CaribSea, it's more like concrete and so drilling is limited.
Equipment:
  • My lighting schedule finished it's 90 acclimation process recently. Up to this point, algae growth have been modest.
  • I recently received the algae scrubber and UV sterilizer. Will be adding these this week to assist now that lighting is on it's normal schedule.
    • I settled on the Clear Water CW-100 algae scrubber. I plan to place the unit inside the sump.
    • I settled on the Pentair Aquatics Smart High Output UV 50 Watt UV Sterilizer. Not yet sure whether I will put this behind the tank or on the other size of the wall. I will have to play with the plumbing before deciding.
PXL_20201005_145154407.jpg

OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

View Badges
Reaction score
Algae Scrubber - Trial Run
I finally got the algae scrubber up and running as a trial run underneath the sump. This is not the final position but it gave me a better idea how things will fit inside. Just in time as I recently added some additional bio-loads to the system with the additions of: 3 pyramid butterflies, small mystery wrasse and a royal gamma to the display. These have been in quarantine for some time and doing great. All have been added earlier this week and so far everyone in the tank is getting along ;Nailbiting.

This weekend's project is to get the UV sterilizer up and running.

PXL_20201010_104443743.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201010_022603594 (1).jpg

Have you ever used a spoon, hose and rubber band together to remove algae?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • What the heck? (see the thread)

Votes: 12 66.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Bulk Reef Supply