reef-rc WB 190.5 SPS

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am closing on a brand new house tomorrow. It's a clean canvass. I have not even ordered a new bed and mattress or a new refrigerator for the house yet, but I am on currently on the verge of ordering my 2nd largest reef tank right after closing :cool:. I have my priorities straight!

Come along for the journey. This a new setup: new house, new tank, new equipment, new dilemmas to tackle, big and small decisions to be made. The only pieces that are not new are the corals. This will mostly be an SPS dominate tank (180+G ). Most SPS will be transferred from my existing nano tanks (see signature below) along with a number of LPS.

IMG_20190821_194128.jpg

The journey will begin after house closing tomorrow ;Facepalm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is so exciting! The greatest journey begins
I am definitely looking forward to it. So ecstatic to get more space.... for the corals of course ;).

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. I'm in the same exact boat your in. Except we closed about 2 months ago. My build will really start once we sell our other house. Hopefully a few weeks.
Thank you. I am fortunate that I am in no rush to sell the existing house and will use the time to get the new tank established first before starting to move corals over.

What are you considering with your build?

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am fortunate that I am in no rush to sell the existing house and will use the time to get the new tank established first before starting to move corals over.

What are you considering with your build?
Im doing a 220 in wall with 3 40g cubes under the main display housing different species and stuff I can't put in main display.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im doing a 220 in wall with 3 40g cubes under the main display housing different species and stuff I can't put in main display.
Sounds awesome. In a similar line, I considering keeping 1-2 nano tanks for that specific purpose too. I would definitely tune in once you start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT'S CLOSED!

I closed on the house earlier today and excited to getting things moving. The builder gave me the essential stuff during closing...keys and garage door opener. They also gave these locked door push thing :rolleyes:
IMG_20190823_002829.jpg

OK for the fun stuff...

I haven been pondering on this for the past month on what type, size and location for the tank. Here are the current ideas.

My preference would have the tank in the living room but design of the living room with kitchen does not seem to provide a good flow or option. The next best option seems to be here just before the dinning area and kitchen.

IMG_20190822_165608.jpg

IMG_20190822_165625.jpg

Standard tank instead of peninsula tank. my preference is peninsula but I currently do not see how that would flow within the space in the house unfortunately.

5 feet versus 6 feet tank. I am currently leaning toward 5 feet tank as that would allow more walking space for the room right behind the tank. 6 feet would work fbut getting into the room is a space problem.

IMG_20190822_165556.jpg

Fish room / Study
If I place the tank as noted above, behind the wall is a closet to a bedroom that I also plan to use as study. I am thinking I can make this small bedroom both as a small fish room and study work. Small fish room in the sense that the main RODI + SALTWATER Mixing station and other supplies would be house in the laundry room on the other side next to the full bathroom in the pic below.

IMG_20190822_170648.jpg

QUESTIONS / IDEAS:
  • Any ideas besides ATO water, dosing pump and storage I should consider inside this closet?

• I plan to do automatic water change and currently see challenges as the wall is not close to any drain or water source.

• Suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decision: ;Nailbiting Waterbox REEF PRO 190.5 (60x26x24) vs Planet Aquarium Crystaline Premium Reef 60x24x21 ;Nailbiting

My preference would be to go with Planet Aquarium MOSTLY because I like the lower cabinet height option and lower tank height. This would give the best possible top down view of the tank without tip-toeing or using a step ladder. They also offer the widest selection of cabinet options.

However Planet Aquarium's sump and plumbing does not to be on par with Waterbox.

Having said above, I am close to pulling the trigger on a white Waterbox Reef Pro 190.5.;Nailbiting

What do you think ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decision Made! - Waterbox REEF PRO 190.5 - White

Now the waiting game start .... 2-4 Weeks! ;Nailbiting ;Bored

Last edited:

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful home congrats. I like your choices. New tank will seem like the pacific ocean Vs fusion 20 lol. Thanks for giving me another thread to follow lol.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good. following along for this one!
Thank you. Come along. I am looking forward to it. I am going to try and keep things as simple as possible from a build perspective.

I skimmed your build of the in-wall tank and it looks awesome. Definitely will be epic once this settle in and corals starts growing out.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful home congrats. I like your choices. New tank will seem like the pacific ocean Vs fusion 20 lol. Thanks for giving me another thread to follow lol.

Thank you. The house has a contemporary design feel and so I am going to go with that and keep most things simple.

I called this thread the "Consolidator Tank" for a very specific reason. Mostly to help reduced your need to follow another thread ;Smug ;Hilarious
51e06ace-33c2-4c92-bee4-fe15a6475bb7.gif

The plan is to bring corals over starting near the end of year/early next year and scale down the number of tanks at that time. Existing coral frags could use the space.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like great dimensions, congrats on the new house, enjoy the build. :)
Thank you. Hopefully my budget of the new tank and equipments won't put me in the poor house ;) instead of new house i just got :eek:.

I am optimistic the 26" inches width of the tank will allow a more natural aquascaping and flow in front as well as behind. I can definitely use suggestions.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check...and check...

• Tank Ordered - CHECKED (2-4 weeks out. Hoping delivery will be before end of September...fingers crossed)
  • Pumps Ordered - CHECKED
    • 4 X EcoTech Marine VORTECH MP40WQD on ordered
    • Unfortunately the pump will arrive before the tank will due being backordered ;Rage
    • So why did I ordered this now? Four MP40 is NOT cheap by any means; it's almost half the price of the tank :(. My thiking - it's Simple - trying to save a little money. It's currently on a very slight discount which all that means is that it's the same price as before; more or less, before EcoTech Marine increased the price earlier (yeah...i remembered the whole china tax thing ;Watching). I don't forget ;)
    • I am thinking this will work for a while. Over time I would imagine I could also re purpose the other MP10WD pumps for this tank after I move the corals over.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps...

These set of 4 pumps arrived recently. For the interim, this will have to be the primary placeholder until the tank arrive :cool:. In the interim, just getting a few things in order.

IMG_20190910_184739.jpg

Next Up...
  • Dry rocks
    • With the last nano SPS tank, I so far had good results using reef saver dry live rocks and will look to do the same with this build; just more volume and mass this time.
    • The challenge will be to just get enough dry rocks for aquascaping that when I take a couple of than nano tanks down, I have room to incorporate the existing rocks into the tank.
  • Tank...waiting
    • It's 2 weeks passed and tank is still being processed. Original estimate was 2-4 weeks.
  • House furniture
    • It's unfortunately but i seem to also need things like blinds, new furniture and bed for the house. Unfortunately this is not the right forum to ask if I should go with regular wood blinds (see pic above or ) plantation blinds ;).

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape Begins...

The tank still not here. In the interim the rocks arrived not long ago. At this point I got a number of pieces from:
CaribSea:
  • 1 very large arches
  • 8 branches
MarcoRocks:
  • 4 pedestals
  • 3 bases
  • 3 shelves

My Goals for this tank:
  • This will be a mixed reef tank of mostly SPS / LPS tank; more towards SPS.
  • Will be moving the majority of the existing frags from several of the nano tanks over.
  • Bare bottom
  • Just enough rocks to allow ample growth space for branching SPS
  • Lifted aquascape as I have been inspired by the bonsai style of aquascaping
  • Aquascape to be branching to allow placement of SPS and strong waterflow through-out the tank
Anyone know of a place I go to for inspirations while doing the aquascape?

Let fun begin...

IMG_20190921_171838.jpg

IMG_20190921_171229.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Processing....

Looks like the Waterbox REEF PRO 190.5 will be taking longer after all. ETA is now early November.

Luckily much of the big house furniture will be arriving end of this week and I will have a place to actually sit and eat before the tank gets here :). Tiles for the fish room / study is also scheduled to be here end of this week; hopefully everything will be installed by the following week.

In the interim, this will give me more time to acquire other things that will be needed:
  • Checked - Heater (4 x 200 watts heater). 1 will be a spare.

Will be looking at other items in the coming months including.
  • Main return pump: Vectra M2
  • Lighting: 4-8 Kessil 360X. Currently thinking this will be a three phase approach. Initial setup will be with 4 360X. 2nd phase will include additional 2 Kessil follow by 3rd phase with two more Kessil.
    • 1569865030213.png
  • Skimmer: tbd
  • ATO: tbd

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back