Reef roids and cyano

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding reef roids once a week for about 3 weeks, and have noticed some cyano accumulating for the first time. I have also noticed more coral growth than I did for the month before that, so it may be working.

Should I be concerned about the cyano if it's a very small amount, and should I keep feeding roids? I posted a pic of my tank so that you can see how much I am talking about... really only in small pockets at the moment.
IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opposite. When I was feeding other stuff I had cyano and high nitrates. Switched to Reefroids only, feed twice a week and nitrates stay about 3-5ppm, no cyano

Your rock looks pretty white, prob a minor cyano outbreak being part of the normal cycle, and nothing to do with the reefroids.

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yes the tank is new (set up in March). The nitrates have stayed at 2-5 ppm the whole time the tank has been set up, but I just tested it (Salifert) and it was 0. Maybe it's bound up by the cyano? Don't know if cyano does that the way algae does I never had it in my old tanks

Williamthegr88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef roids and def notice cyano starting to become a problem I was using twice a week I'm going to stop using till I get under control then just use a bit less I would just keep a eye on it make sure it doesn't get out of control

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much reefroids are you guys using? I only ask out of curiosity, when I was researching what to feed to reduce excess nutrients the general consensus was reef roids is the best at it. And I noticed immediate benefits.

I'm only dosing to the minimum tho, 1/4 tbsp per 25g

Last edited:
OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing at roughly half a dose, but that's because I don't have many corals and the ones I have are small, as you can see. So I feed 1/4 tsp for my 57g, when the package says to do 1/4 tsp per 25g. I target feed with a baster with the pumps in feed mode, so they are only off/low for about 10 minutes. Once a week.

A couple other things about my tank: only 2 fish and an arrow crab in a 57g, light feeding every other day. No skimmer, chaeto in the sump growing like crazy.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the dosage is different on the normal version versus the "nano" one but my package says 1/4 tsp per 25g. I have the nano one

Oh no I'm sorry you're correct. I'm not home to check. But whatever the dosage is on the instructions is what I dose.

Just looked it up and yes. 1/4 tbsp for 25g. And that's what I do. So you're using significantly less than I am.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be really sure from the pictures but it looks like there aren't yet that many corals (correct me if I'm wrong) in your tank as it's only recently been set up. So I'm not sure why you want to add coral food...

I think that coral food is appropriate in a well established tank with a good stock of healthy growing corals and low nutrients.

The roids might be adding excessive nutrients that the cyano is taking advantage of?

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be really sure from the pictures but it looks like there aren't yet that many corals (correct me if I'm wrong) in your tank as it's only recently been set up. So I'm not sure why you want to add coral food...

I think that coral food is appropriate in a well established tank with a good stock of healthy growing corals and low nutrients.

The roids might be adding excessive nutrients that the cyano is taking advantage of?
There are not many corals. But I was under the impression that coral food adds nutrients to the water that are not added via salt mix alone... so if you want your corals to get them, you need to feed, regardless of how many corals you have. Perhaps I was mistaken?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Perhaps I was mistaken?
you are correct. but its easy to over feed.
IMO, in a younger tank light overfeeding feeds cyano a bit more easily than the nitrifying bacteria, add to that the amount of co2 the bacteria adds to the water. Cyano likes C02.

One note looking back at the pic, you may want to mover your light up to get better spread. itll do a couple things, light all the coral more efficiently and the rock as well, both of those things will increase nutrient uptake by the coral, and the coming coralline, that will also compete for nutrients.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back