Reef Roids and glass cleaning

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve noticed after I feed my corals reef roids (mainly spot feeding) the next morning the glass has a lot of dusty sediment on it and I have to clean it.

Is this normal or am I feeding too much? Also if it is normal is there anything I can do to help prevent it.

Thanks

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t noticed that with my reef roids feedings. I’ll feed a little more and see if that’s the case. I am shutting off my return and I only have a very small power head in there stirring the water for about 1 hour....

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t noticed that with my reef roids feedings. I’ll feed a little more and see if that’s the case. I am shutting off my return and I only have a very small power head in there stirring the water for about 1 hour....
An hour huh? I wait like 15 mins. Wonder if that’s causing any issues. Also do you notice after you feed corals the corals seem to have like stringy type web coming from them?

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, always felt like an hour seemed right. But, maybe I could do shorter? I don’t know, it seemed like I was giving my coral the best chance to eat as much as they could with an hour. Plus, the pump has a 1 hour pause feature, so that helped my decision making. I don’t have to remember to turn the return back on, it just kicks back on after the hour.

No stringy webs from the corals. Certainly the vermetid snails in my tank put out their little feelers. Perhaps you have a ton of those all around your corals?

Octo clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I would feed my corals I to would get the slimy stringy like substance coming off of and out of my corals. So one day I watched closely on one of my chalices and noticed that it was building up the slime to capture the roids then pull the slime stuff mixed with the roids into its mouths it was really cool.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following along on this, I stopped using reef roids because I felt like it spiked the phosphates and made the tank dirty. I went to oyster feast, “Live Phyto”, and AB+. Corals all have the best color I’ve seen in a long time and no mess with it, phosphates stay at .01-.02

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following along on this, I stopped using reef roids because I felt like it spiked the phosphates and made the tank dirty. I went to oyster feast, “Live Phyto”, and AB+. Corals all have the best color I’ve seen in a long time and no mess with it, phosphates stay at .01-.02

So I’m using AB+ as well on alternate days with spot feeding reef roids. However the reason I went back to reef roids was because ab+ didn’t show any stimulation response from corals when I spot feed it. Do you notice that or do your corals love that stuff?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral coloration has been great. Using oyster feast is where I get a feeding response, and the clam goes crazy for it.

Back