Reef Roids and zooxanthellae

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed my torch that I’ve had in my tank for a week. It was happy with good polyp extension. Target fed Reef Roids and it expelled zooxanthellae I assume due to nutrient increase. Should I not feed it anymore could I have killed it?

View Badges
I just fed my torch that I’ve had in my tank for a week. It was happy with good polyp extension. Target fed Reef Roids and it expelled zooxanthellae I assume due to nutrient increase. Should I not feed it anymore could I have killed it?
I don’t target feed euphies anymore. I don’t have a torch at the moment, but my hammer’s all do the same thing when target feed RR. I didn’t know it was algae it was expelling. At first I thought it was brown slime, but the hammer was fine. So I then decided it had “thrown up”.
Fwiw, my montipora (sp) doesn’t like it either. So I just target my zoas. I’m sure there’s plenty floating around after for the other corals.

OP
OP
L

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your hammers were fine. That’s reassuring,
I don’t target feed euphies anymore. I don’t have a torch at the moment, but my hammer’s all do the same thing when target feed RR. I didn’t know it was algae it was expelling. At first I thought it was brown slime, but the hammer was fine. So I then decided it had “thrown up”.
Fwiw, my montipora (sp) doesn’t like it either. So I just target my zoas. I’m sure there’s plenty floating around after for the other corals.
So they are ok afterwards? Not sure my torch was keen and will not bother next time. The other torch loved it and it’s polyps stretched out. Temperamental things!
Fwiw, my montipora (sp) doesn’t like it either. So I just target my zoas. I’m sure there’s plenty floating around after for the other coral

View Badges
yeah, I just don’t dump food on them. They seem happier that way. It isn’t just RR either, if I blow ocean magic or other food at them they seem just as annoyed, though I’m not sure I’ve seen them “throw up” apart from using RR.

this is totally my opinion, but I think RR are really for more established systems with lots of coral. It works really well on my zoas so I do use it (at least once a week usually before a water change) but it really fouls up the water.

edit: I don’t know what you have, but I wouldn’t even call mine a reef. I only have about ten frags and they’re all still pretty small. They’re not even consuming enough (with weekly water changes) to merit dosing. I have like five different zoa frags that have grown really fast due to RR.

OP
OP
L

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I just don’t dump food on them. They seem happier that way. It isn’t just RR either, if I blow ocean magic or other food at them they seem just as annoyed, though I’m not sure I’ve seen them “throw up” apart from using RR.

this is totally my opinion, but I think RR are really for more established systems with lots of coral. It works really well on my zoas so I do use it (at least once a week usually before a water change) but it really fouls up the water.

edit: I don’t know what you have, but I wouldn’t even call mine a reef. I only have about ten frags and they’re all still pretty small. They’re not even consuming enough (with weekly water changes) to merit dosing. I have like five different zoa frags that have grown really fast due to RR.
Appreciate your option, thanks. Will not both and just feed the others sparingly

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back