Reef roids = green algae

Reefnut88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever experience green hair algae bloom while feeding there corals reef roids 1 time weekly?

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything added can lead to algae blooms. Could just be to much for your system.

What's your tank size and how much did you add?

OP
OP
Reefnut88

Reefnut88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything added can lead to algae blooms. Could just be to much for your system.

What's your tank size and how much did you add?
13.5 gallon and like 1/4 teaspoon I think? I'm not sure what ever the directions recommended for so many gallons.

OP
OP
Reefnut88

Reefnut88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids is a bunch of dead organic matter. Its very common for people to have algae issues when they miss use it or lack proper nutrient export in their tank.
Nutrient export meaning skimmer?

BobbyOtto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration in general. So skimmer, carbon, and other forms. Young tanks generally go through several ugly phases their first year and it should be expected. It could of been that you were on a cusp of a algae bloom prior to dosing and this is just how the timing worked out.

OP
OP
Reefnut88

Reefnut88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration in general. So skimmer, carbon, and other forms. Young tanks generally go through several ugly phases their first year and it should be expected. It could of been that you were on a cusp of a algae bloom prior to dosing and this is just how the timing worked out.
Ohh, gotcha.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 gallon and like 1/4 teaspoon I think? I'm not sure what ever the directions recommended for so many gallons.
I feed less than that in my 90g. That’s a ton of reef roids. Polyplabs directions are “generous” to say the least. Helps sell more reef roids ;)
I’ve had the same jar for almost 2 years. :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed less than that in my 90g. That’s a ton of reef roids. Polyplabs directions are “generous” to say the least. Helps sell more reef roids ;)
I’ve had the same jar for almost 2 years. :)
100% agree with this. I also have the same jar I bought 2 years ago. There was a video posted a while back where the guy mixed reef roids into a thick paste, and spot fed his corals with that. I do this method and my LPS love it. With this method, you don't waste any, and you don't lose a ton of it to floating about the water column.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1 TSP reef roids, and 1 TSP Benepets 2-3x per week in my 50g. I spot feed though.
How do you like the benepets? I have seen your tank build thread so I know what your corals look like.

I started feeding it a few month ago, but have not noticed any difference. I will admit I broadcast it instead of spot feeding.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the benepets? I have seen your tank build thread so I know what your corals look like.

I started feeding it a few month ago, but have not noticed any difference. I will admit I broadcast it instead of spot feeding.

I liked it for one thing specifically -- Some of my LPS/Zoas do NOT respond to reef roids, but DO respond to BenePets.. So if you're trying to plump up all your corals for quicker growth I found it beneficial to have both.

I used to take note of each coral and just feed what they liked... Too much work, now I just mix them both up, and throw in some mini mysis/Spirulina brine for Acans, Scoly, etc etc.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back