Reef Roids pushes my phosphates way up. What coral foods won't do this as much as Reef Roids does?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids should be used vary sparingly, its a great food but very phosphate heavy as youve seen. I only use 1/4 the recommended amount on the container once a week. But other good foods that arent as phosphate heavy that i like are coral frenzy and benepets.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed Reef Chili 3x a week for my zoas and LPS. Everything seems to be thriving, and no real phosphate issues that I've noticed.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started reef roids for my two 12 gallon systems LPS and SPS each separate. I did 1/4 teaspoon from baby teaspoon for spot feeding. My phosphates have been 0 undetectable so, I will see what I get after a couple days after feeding.

I will only feed 1 per week, but so far both SPS and LPS corals reacted to the feeding very positively. Now, I just have to see where the phosphate kick up to after 1st feeding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many of your powdered foods will do this, some higher than others. In addition to allowing suspended matter to feed my corals, i do feed 2-3x per week . . . Hikari Coral Gumbo and hikari small plankton

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of your powdered foods will do this, some higher than others. In addition to allowing suspended matter to feed my corals, i do feed 2-3x per week . . . Hikari Coral Gumbo and hikari small plankton
How big is the volume of your water when you mention feeding 2-3x per week. I only have 10 gallons total volume of water for two systems. So, just curious where your phosphates stay with your feedings of powder?

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the food for spot feeding zoas and mushrooms. As the title says, Reef Roids pushes my phosphates way up. What coral foods won't do this as much as Reef Roids does? Thank
(fixed this comment to cover question below)
Once a week is probably enough.
Get a fish or 2.
What size is your system?
Remember that the phosphate we measure in our tank is whats left over from our export system.
You can always up your export system to keep phosphates at your desired levels.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How big is the volume of your water when you mention feeding 2-3x per week. I only have 10 gallons total volume of water for two systems. So, just curious where your phosphates stay with your feedings of powder?
That tank- 660 gallons
you only need a pinky finger nail size piece for 10 gallon tank

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very new to ReefRoids, never used the product but upon recommendation of LFS, I took the iniative for both my separate little systems. So all can see how small my two systems are I have included a short video. I hope to see growth, color of both my tiny systems. I am a little nervous of phosphates but like I mentioned on my last post it was 0 undetectable but fear it will show up now.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank- 660 gallons
you only need a pinky finger nail size piece for 10 gallon tank
Thank you so much, I did pinky nail x2 since I have two 12 gallon systems each have volume 10 gallons. So, I think that is correct, little nervous to see where the phosphates hit since I don't have a lot of wiggle room for errors in my tanks. Do you have a link I can see to your 660 gallons?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have some cheato in my media basket with Innovative Marine LED 9watt.

Will that be okay? I do have some redsea reef carbon in there as well.
Chaeto is most effective with Nitrates, than PO4

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week is probably enough.
Get a fish or 2.
What size is your system?
Remember that the phosphate we measure in our tank is whats left over from our export system.
You can always up your export system to keep phosphates at your desired levels.
My original post was about a month ago and I have changed the way I do it to keep things under control and not have any serious algae issues. My phosphates are always in normal parameters. My tank is a 13.5 gal AIO. I now feed most of my zoas and mushrooms at least 4x a week because it has made them grow quickly and my tank has some empty rock I want to cover. I now make the reef roids into a thicker mix and turn off the pump a few minutes before I start. I can drop a tiny blob directly on the polyp and not have any blow away in the current before it closes. Now almost nothing goes to waste.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back