Reef safe home pest control services in NJ?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I'm thinking about signing up for a local pest control service for both inside and outside of home for insects, rodents, roach, etc.. is there any provider that uses "reef safe" chemicals in NJ? Or what advice would you have to prevent my tank getting nuked when they treat the inside? Many say they are "pet and children" safe but I'm not sure of that will also mean "reef safe"

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I'm thinking about signing up for a local pest control service for both inside and outside of home for insects, rodents, roach, etc.. is there any provider that uses "reef safe" chemicals in NJ? Or what advice would you have to prevent my tank getting nuked when they treat the inside? Many say they are "pet and children" safe but I'm not sure of that will also mean "reef safe"
I doubt anyone will do a written guarantee your tank will survive.

What level of pest control is being done? Full fumigation of a light spray of corners, etc?

At the least, I'd be covering the tank and sump with an airtight cover, and runnning the skimmer air input outside the house.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not let them fumigate or “bomb” the interior, as they do for roaches & bed bugs. Spraying base moldings in kitchen away from tanks should be fine. I would close off tank rooms to be sure

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm not bombing the interior - its more for maintenence and prevention instead of an active intervention/elimination of an infestation.

Sounds like I should be OK if I just tell them to avoid the fish room. Any concerns from HVAC ducts that connect all the room from any airborne chemical from the spray?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspection in fish room with glue boards for observation. No material to be used around or in fish tank or fish tank room. If product has to be used stick to gel baits.
I had to use ant gel baits around the tank due to ants drinking condensation from the tank. Worked like a charm. (Advion ant gel ) Terro works really well to.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any suggestions on what chemicals are the safe, if any, but there is a user on here who works in pest control I believe and he may be able to give some suggestions
@sfin52 any advice?
Thanks for the invite . Been a while since I've been pulled into one of these.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52

Much to my horror, I have discovered termites in my master bathroom. I am no expert, but isn't this something that will require a full home tent and treatment? How would I protect my tanks if this ends up being the case?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52

Much to my horror, I have discovered termites in my master bathroom. I am no expert, but isn't this something that will require a full home tent and treatment? How would I protect my tanks if this ends up being the case?
What state are you in

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
California.
What part of California and what did the evidence look like. It will help determine type of termite. It may not require tenting. If you don't want to say town public chat you can pm

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of jersey ? I'm in south. I live in an apartment building. We get pest control monthly, it's not optional in most buildings. I've never had a problem from it.

Back