Reef Safe Ich/Velvet Treatment?

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this and was wondering if it was worth it given I know most 'reef safe' treatments are like using natural oils against polio...I have a ton of rock work in my 125 with a lot of small fish so if it does work it would be great. Anyone have any experience on treating an entire display with this combo?

Ruby Reef Rally Pro

Ruby Reef Kick-Ich Pro

I do have inverts and mixed reef, most rock of which has been cemented together so if this can work it would be great.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Ruby Reef Rally on a velvet outbreak. It "seemed" to work as I didn't loose anymore fish after using it. But the only fish left by the time I got it were gobies, blennies, and a jawfish all of which are somewhat resistant I believe. I've heard that kick ich is useless but I have no actual experience with it.

OP
OP
Salt Addiction

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Ruby Reef Rally on a velvet outbreak. It "seemed" to work as I didn't loose anymore fish after using it. But the only fish left by the time I got it were gobies, blennies, and a jawfish all of which are somewhat resistant I believe. I've heard that kick ich is useless but I have no actual experience with it.

I got a Citrinus thats come down with velvet and a hippo tang now showing signs so I would say I am at the onset? Trying to figure out if its worth the $115 price tag for the amount needed before doing irreversible damage to my rock work or if that can be avoided given I got arches and a lot of cemented frag plugs lol.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah hard decision for sure. My outbreak was pretty devastating. Took out half my fish in a week. :(

Oddly enough I had a couple sailfin mollies in the fuge that were unaffected by it even before I treated the tank. Theoretically they should've been the first to go. Life is strange.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of these products and have read multiple threads on ICH.
So I dont know if I would go that route.
The two most used meds are copper and Prazi.
Nither reef safe.
The resistance to copper treatments and the recommended levels now a days is extreme.

My advice, pull the fish put them in QT and go fallow for 90 days.
Totally blows but its treat or eradicate.
I think it would be best to eradicate

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mardel Parashield

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if these products work or not, I am trying using the kick ich now
Kick Ich has worked for some reefers. But you have to do more than just dose the tank.
Stirring the sand and or removing and cleaning as much sand as possible.
Blasting the rocks with a turkey baster.
Adding some powerheads to really move the water into all the nooks and crannies of the tank.
Cleaning glass and equipment surfaces.
And then being very careful and following through exactly with the dosing schedule.
Are all necessary to reach any encysted parasites in the tank as they hatch.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby rally pro will stop velvet from progressing, I have used this myself. But it will not eliminate either velvet or ich more or less keeps it manageable, so i wouldnt call it a cure, but it will aid in the management of velvet or ich.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really reef safe for sps? Tried two products on the past that weren't

Back