reef safe ick

reef_daze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have results from using a "reef safe" ick treatment. Iv'e come across some old discussions from almost 10 years ago while googling this. Just curious if results have changed or not. From my understanding, a "reef safe" ick treatment only mask and maintains the disease, but does not actually cure it. Most claim they wont harm corals or invertebrates either. Seems intriguing, Would love to hear someones results that has used a "reef safe" ick treatment in the past year.

Ok so why I'm curious about this... I've not added anything to my tank in over a month now, and my 6 line wrasse has ick all the sudden. Also my yellow tang is turning white. These guys are going into QT today! My royal gramma with join them just to be safe even though I don't see signs of illness on this fish. I guess my real question is why ick now? And why is my yellow tang turning white?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have results from using a "reef safe" ick treatment. Iv'e come across some old discussions from almost 10 years ago while googling this. Just curious if results have changed or not. From my understanding, a "reef safe" ick treatment only mask and maintains the disease, but does not actually cure it. Most claim they wont harm corals or invertebrates either. Seems intriguing, Would love to hear someones results that has used a "reef safe" ick treatment in the past year.

Ok so why I'm curious about this... I've not added anything to my tank in over a month now, and my 6 line wrasse has ick all the sudden. Also my yellow tang is turning white. These guys are going into QT today! My royal gramma with join them just to be safe even though I don't see signs of illness on this fish. I guess my real question is why ick now? And why is my yellow tang turning white?
Hello!
There are no reef safe ich treatments. The closest you will find is ich management and i have never seen this successfully applied to an ongoing outbreak.

Why now, parasites can hop aboard anything wet. From coral to rock to inverts.
Or it could have been in low population densities for awhile and now struck due to a stressor.

Fish have the ability to change colors based on their emotions or stress. A white tang is a stressed tang.

Gustav22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any new rock, coral frags etc that came out of other people’s tanks? The ick cyst could have travelled in on something like that.

As for reef safe treatments, I’ve never heard of any that actually work. In a fowlr you could try hyposalinity but that definitely won’t work in a reef tank

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing that is reef safe is 100% effective.

There are several methods for management. That work.

Can you upload pics of the fish?

Also as mentioned above any new inverts/corals/rock etc?

OP
OP
reef_daze

reef_daze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not added anything to my tank in about a month. Also every time Iv'e added coral I have always dipped. No new rock or anything. Other then just feeding the fish and doing my weekly water changes, etc nothing new about my tank. The yellow tang has toned down some of the white over night, But I still fill I should QT all my fish anyways?

OP
OP
reef_daze

reef_daze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45B3179F-7395-4EBB-A0AF-7CCA5F9EF6D9.jpeg
1D9C0605-0B5C-458B-BFF3-9FE4FC3EFB68.jpeg
45B3179F-7395-4EBB-A0AF-7CCA5F9EF6D9.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not added anything to my tank in about a month. Also every time Iv'e added coral I have always dipped. No new rock or anything. Other then just feeding the fish and doing my weekly water changes, etc nothing new about my tank. The yellow tang has toned down some of the white over night, But I still fill I should QT all my fish anyways?
You probably introduced something on a coral. Coral dips remove coral pests. They will not remove encysted ich/velvet tomonts.

OP
OP
reef_daze

reef_daze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling to get a pic of the wrasse but I honestly don't see nearly the white spots i did last night. Now I'm starting to wonder if it was ich...

Iv'e dealt with ich in freshwater tanks before (always very easy to sure) but never in my saltwater aquariums. Iv'e never seen it look really bad one night and the next almost not even noticeable with no treatment. Am I mistaking this with something possibly?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So how do i control ich, and other parasites coming in on coral frags?
quarantine your coral frags in a fishless system is what I've been told.
Many people already do this.

But it seems to me that using tank water, you should be able to rinse off the frags before putting them in your display tank.Maybe a little scrub brush action too at the time.

IDK.
I do know I introduced ick into my display tank that ALL of the fish went through 30+ days in copper.
The only way was new corals.

OP
OP
reef_daze

reef_daze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quarantine your coral frags in a fishless system is what I've been told.
Many people already do this.

But it seems to me that using tank water, you should be able to rinse off the frags before putting them in your display tank.Maybe a little scrub brush action too at the time.

IDK.
I do know I introduced ick into my display tank that ALL of the fish went through 30+ days in copper.
The only way was new corals.

Thanks for tthe advice! I guess I'll have order another QT. How long would you recommend QT corals? And do you just dip the whole tank or treat with other products?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for tthe advice! I guess I'll have order another QT. How long would you recommend QT corals? And do you just dip the whole tank or treat with other products?
You know, I just don't know because it never was a practice I used on my main display tank. ( I figure this was how I ended up with ick in it)
I used to quarantine zoanthids before adding them to my dedicated zoanthid tank when I had it.
I would hold them in another tank for a week or so and observe them for zoanthids pests.
I would dip before and after.

OP
OP
reef_daze

reef_daze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I just don't know because it never was a practice I used on my main display tank. ( I figure this was how I ended up with ick in it)
I used to quarantine zoanthids before adding them to my dedicated zoanthid tank when I had it.
I would hold them in another tank for a week or so and observe them for zoanthids pests.
I would dip before and after.

Ok, thanks so much for the tips and advice. I figured I should still dip before and after. I will do some further research on this!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back