Reef Safe (Kinda) Angelfish: What are your favorites & how did they do long term?

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 210 34.1%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 90 14.6%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 177 28.8%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
false lemon peel just started munching some zoas :( I love that fish so hopefully i can build a new home for him soon and replace his spot with a regal

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've always had good luck with Flame and Coral Beauty Angels.
Had them long term too.
Had 1 Flame for 10 years and a Coral Beauty for nearly 14 years.
My current Flame has been with me about 5 years.
I keep both of these currently together, without issue.

Bigdog12b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spotbreast angel is completely reef safe and he’s a complete ******, chasing any new comer and anything white or remotely similar looking. He’s in QT jail for attacking my new convict tang. Kinda wanna re-home it.
I have one who acts the same way. Reef safe but temper is worse than my PB or Purple tangs.

Bigdog12b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spotbreast angel is completely reef safe and he’s a complete ******, chasing any new comer and anything white or remotely similar looking. He’s in QT jail for attacking my new convict tang. Kinda wanna re-home it.
Mine acts the same way. Leaves all corals alone but is meaner than my PB or Purple Tang if a new fish is added.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a lot of luck with dwarf angels, currently have a flame, coral beauty and potter's in my 80 shallow and they're model citizens. Previously had a multicolor that was also coral-safe, but mysteriously died.

Also have a Masked Swallowtail that's been safe.

The one angel that convinced me that Pomacanthus angels are not to be trusted are Emperors. A couple years ago bought a juvie at around 1" and she was completely safe for 18 months. Once she started transitioning to her adult pattern, she went completely rogue and demolished my SPS and LPS over the course of a month. Beautiful fish but never again in a reef tank.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I've enjoyed reading everyone's answers.

I have a mated pair of cherub angelfish with no issues, as well as a flareback pygmy no issues. I am adding a goldflake that gets here Tuesday from Biota and I am VERY excited but also slightly nervous about nipping. I've wanted one for a while. Only one person on here mentioned goldflakes and said they have varied success rates, which is what I've heard. I'm a heavy feeder though and have filefish that already limit some softies, so hoping that helps!

Grallster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a few:
Failed: Lemonpeel, rusty, eibli
Success: bellus angel pair (no more likely to touch coral as a clownfish) and currently have a flame angel (although he’s in a tank with only softies and gorgos)

Attachments

• 29598EA3-0E90-46CE-A793-0329081154B7.jpeg
    29598EA3-0E90-46CE-A793-0329081154B7.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 40

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Coral Beauty is almost 5 years in and model citizen from day one. Added an Eibli (Red Stripe), about six months ago, nipped for a few days at a couple softies, but once fully acclimated (CB wasn't a fan of the new addition at first, but now best buddies) all good. I feed my own frozen mix chock full of goodness lol...
No other Eibli folks here? I love the markings on mine...

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cherub that may go by some coral and might nip but I don't think he is actually nipping the coral but might be nipping at something on them.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Watanabe angelfish, Little Bonnie Blue (Lil' BB) is a model citizen! :) Except she's camera shy!

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered if the trick was to introduce the fish after all the corals are in? I once had a wrasse that did wrasse things. He never bothered my sexy shrimp. I purchased some more and dropped them in the tank. The wrasse unceremoniously at $100 in shrimp in like 30 seconds. He never bothered or started bothering the ones in the tank. I wonder if just like my dog thinks anything I put in her bowl is food, if fish think the same.
This sounds familiar. My coral beaut does not touch any corals that were in the tank the day he was added. Anything new I add is at risk. Especially if it is in his patrol path.

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four angels in my current tank with issues.
I keep mainly sps but have a few spas, hammers, gonis and such.
I have a majestic, G. melanospilos and c. Interuptus with no issues.

85C4847A-3881-4C2D-BDB8-5E13A9B2D8E4.jpeg

rpetorella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3, a male Swallowtail,Bellus,and a Watanabei...all are model citizens.

Attachments

• 20210602_132823.jpg
    20210602_132823.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 34

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love dwarf angels, probably my favorite fishes. They are spunky without being aggressive and extremely active.

I’ve had numerous Centropyge over the years and most have not bothered corals at all. Below is a list of the ones I’ve kept and how they’ve done. These were kept with LPS/SPS dominant tanks, with a few zoas:

• 3 coral beauties (1 picked at a monti occasionally)
  • 3 lemonpeel (1 picked nipped at some LPS randomly)
  • 2 flame (no issues)
  • 2 potters (no issues)
  • 1 Multicolor (TBD, new setup)
So my experience with dwarf angels, not including the new Multicolor, 20% nipped at corals. That’s probably a high number for some people but a risk I’m willing to take for my favorite fish.
I really want a multicolor to go with my multibar in my 160, so i'm currently trying to do my research on their habits. hopefully yours doesn't go after corals

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back