Reef Safe (Kinda) Angelfish: What are your favorites & how did they do long term?

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 210 34.1%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 90 14.6%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 177 28.8%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an annularis and it never touched anything.

Currently have a blueface that only ever nipped at a few softies. It doesn't seem to touch the sps, at least not in any appreciable way.

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame angel for over ten years and he never touched my corals or zoas. He was fine with my inverts too, but I didn't have any shrimp or tube worms.

Premnas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trio of Flames , 4 years, no issues. Pair of Spot Breast, 4 years no issues. 6" Emperor, raised from 2" juv., 5 years, no issues, 4" Annularis, raised from 1 1/2 juv., 5 years. No issues. 7" Blue Queen hybrid, a number of issues, samples anything, been with me almost 10 years, can eat whatever she wants, does not touch my gold wall hammer. large stand of purple stylo, or a 100 plus head duncan. Everything else is on the menu

ThemytB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 2 angels, I don't remember what the first one was but he was a beautiful fish. he nipped at everything as soon as he went into the tank, but he swam into the trap as soon as I lowered it in(he was afraid of nothing) so he was easy to catch and gave me a sense of false confidence.

Next I tried a flame angel- after a week or so he went nuts eating every sps I had, he was relentless. He would just gnaw away on any sps, even when they were fully retracted, but he wouldnt touch any thing else-no softies, no lps. He was also the smartest fish I have ever encountered and could not be caught. I tried for 2 months, every technique I could find short of pulling out all of my rock work(I have a ton of rock)- he wouldnt enter any trap or bite at any bait- he was impossible.
all of my sps died. then one day I put one of the trap in again knowing he wouldnt enter. as I reached in the tank to bait the trap I scared the bejeezus out of my foxface who panicked and swam around the tank at full speed at about 3/4 of a lap he swam full speed directly into the flame angel who was about 10 inches away from the trap facing away from it as usual- he panicked and swam backwards as fast as he could directly into the trap causing the door to slam shut as he hit the back wall of the trap. Thank You Foxface. I will never try another angel.
THE END

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel nipping at certain expensive corals he sadly has to go...nicest one I seen also really red color

QTI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four: flame, flame back, coco and regal. All are good citizens.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Angel - After 3 years of being a model citizen he abruptly decided he LOVED Acans. Getting him out was a royal PITA. I still have nightmares about that fish.

smoleral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Pygmy angel in my reef now for a while… never once have I seen it nip at anything. He’s been hardy throughout all of the tank (almost) disasters, and gets along with all the tank mates.

garbermatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your favorite "mostly reef safe" angelfish?

I'm currently hoping to get a Potter's Angel if I can find one.

2. What "mostly reef safe" angelfish have you had that went rogue?

I had a bicolor angel in an LPS tank that didn't touch the corals, but killed about three or four other fish (always after the lights went out) so he had to go.

3. What are some tips for keeping a "mostly reef safe" angelfish from eating your coral?
I'm a big feeder so my golden angel in my last tank didn't seem to need to pick at corals, although they're really shy so maybe that helps.

Pêcheur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210618_232059564.jpg
@Scdell what kind of anemone is that below the angel?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a multicolor to go with my multibar in my 160, so i'm currently trying to do my research on their habits. hopefully yours doesn't go after corals
Mines been perfect and it’s been over a year thus far, multicolors are beautiful

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Coral Beauty is almost 5 years in and model citizen from day one. Added an Eibli (Red Stripe), about six months ago, nipped for a few days at a couple softies, but once fully acclimated (CB wasn't a fan of the new addition at first, but now best buddies) all good. I feed my own frozen mix chock full of goodness lol...
No other Eibli folks here? I love the markings on mine...
I totally agree with the eibli love. I will always keep one. Great markings, quite peaceful but at the same time not a pushover. Moderately safe with corals (at least softies). If I had ten tanks I would probably put one on each tank!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with the eibli love. I will always keep one. Great markings, quite peaceful but at the same time not a pushover. Moderately safe with corals (at least softies). If I had ten tanks I would probably put one on each tank!
Happy to hear this.... my first about 15 years ago lasted about 3 months unfortunately, decided to dive back in on one quarantined through my most trusted LFS, back in December, and was super nervous with similar species / genus Coral Beauty. It was bully time for first few days, and decided to go almost complete black next few days... it worked. This fish is first to the dinner plate now and a pleasure to watch. The orange eye rings, some green /red and powder blue tail markings are striking... my fave fish, underrated imo..here she be btw...
20210618_232720.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Coral Beauty and a Flame Angel. Kept them well fed with nori, algae pellets and algae flakes. I had the flame attack an acro. Discussed with Bob Fenner and he stated two things the fish was not getting enough algae as they are mainly algae eaters or the coral was already dying. Well pulled the coral as it was pretty much done and the angel never picked on another coral. So I think the dwarfs get a bum rap as more people will not admit that their coral was already having problems when their dwarf picks at them.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spotbreast angel is completely reef safe and he’s a complete ******, chasing any new comer and anything white or remotely similar looking. He’s in QT jail for attacking my new convict tang. Kinda wanna re-home it.
Funny mine chases the females around but doesn't mess with anyone else. I have kept lone Genicanthus for many years and I've always found them to be a good bouncer. They are too lazy to truly chase but everyone knows to leave some space. Ofc food is always a big deal when it comes to aggression and I feed with a shovel but back in the day when I fed much less I found Reef Nutrition Formula food to be a good choice cause I could break off big chunks to keep them happy.

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing QT now for an extended time period. I wonder if feeding the fish in QT (no corals obviously) would get it used to fish food only? I’m setting up an auto feeder on the QT to match the one on the DT, my hope is that the noise is like Pavlov’s dog whistle. Anyone have an opinion on this hypothesis?

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters, killed super cool pocillopora eydouxi I had but left everything else alone. Had him about 8 years.
Lamark was a model citizen.
11 years with a Regal and he has left SPS, clams, and LPS alone.

Mike Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've always had good luck with Flame and Coral Beauty Angels.
Had them long term too.
Had 1 Flame for 10 years and a Coral Beauty for nearly 14 years.
My current Flame has been with me about 5 years.
I agree. My Coral Beauty is great with my LPS corals, doesn't go near them at all. I thought my Euphillia might go but once I removed my Blue Faced Angel everything has been OK. Lets hope it lasts?

Back