Reef Safe (Kinda) Angelfish: What are your favorites & how did they do long term?

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 210 34.1%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 90 14.6%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 177 28.8%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you saying add another fish to keep my flame angel occupied? Bc my flame angel is so red in color beautiful but he is nipping at my corals think it’s a problem
No. I have flame in one tank and coral beauty in another. Neither bother coral. You can try adding nori seaweed or grazer block to keep it occupied and away from coral

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Safe Angelfish = Kinda, but not really, could be, maybe and you never know!

No angelfish is truly 100% reef safe but some of these fish have a pretty good track record of leaving corals and inverts alone! The beauty of these fish often lure reefkeepers into taking a chance and housing them in their reef tanks! Sometimes it's successful and other times it's not! Today let's talk about your experience!

1. What is your favorite "mostly reef safe" angelfish?

2. What "mostly reef safe" angelfish have you had that went rogue?

3. What are some tips for keeping a "mostly reef safe" angelfish from eating your coral?

Spotbreast angelfish image via @fabutahoun
1-2-Fadi-Genicanthus melanospilos Female.jpg
I have always had luck with Coral beauty or Lamarck'd angel fish

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone was gonna be bold enough to attempt an queen angelfish lol. That would be a dream combination of a fish with corals for me, I’ve only ever had one in a fowlr about 15 years ago. I would absolutely LOVE to see if anyone else has had any success in that realm. I have had success in a reef with cherub angels only, and would like to attempt flame and regal angels in the near future
I have been following this thread for the same information - any luck with a Queen or French Angelfish. I had success with a French many years ago but my corals at the time were just a few mushrooms.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All (except for a lemon peel) have been fine in my tank.
A Lemon peel.
3. What are some tips for keeping a "mostly reef safe" angelfish from eating your coral?
Adequate feeding with good quality food. I think its based on individual fish though - and what kind of coral you're keeping. My lemon peel only ate one specific trachy. But - it decimated them - quickly. I have had flame angels, koran, blue face, and several others - with no problem despite the fact that they are not 'reef safe'

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely a female Genicanthus melanospilos, they are absolutely gorgeous.
I've also had succes with with Genicanthus Watanabei

None, despite strong temptations Ive never been willing to put any Centropyge sp. in my tanks.

Centropyge ... keep them well fed, roll the dice.

Genicanthus, frequent small feeding, plenty of room, no more than one of a species unless you are certain you have a healthy pair. Pay special attention to swim bladder issues when purcashing.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had flames angels in reefs in the past would nip at things but never no real damage.

I am stocking a new RS650P mostly wrasses but my dream angel fish would be a regal.
fallowed by flame and coral l beauty.
I am an LPS lover and will have hopefully lots of meaty LPS so not sure I will try any.

but a CB and flame is so tempting...

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting you have managed to have it succeed with the two same genus centropyge as well Congrats....Everything I heard said NO!!! First couple days I thought they were right... 3 days later....

20210620_005732.jpg
Very nice! I love coral beauties as much as eiblis. I think the success of mixing and matching depends on the species (coral beauties and eiblis seem to be on the more peaceful end of the spectrum) tank size, terrain and number of other fish. If you put 2 angels in a tank with one piece of bare live rock and no other fish, they might well fight like crazy. My lemonpeel and eibli are in a 65 gallon softie tank which is a bit small but it is a veritable coral jungle with lots of caves and hideouts. The two ocellated clowns and sharp nose puffer add some distractions plus the eibli is good at staying stealthy. I have three angels with numerous other fish in my 200 gallon sps tank with no problems (multibar, venustus and regal) the venustus will occasionally chase the regal but the regal has plenty of escape routes and the venustus gets quickly distracted by everything else. No one bothers the multibar

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could find a poicillopora here for a decent price, heck, just one period I would jump at it, for some reason they are rare...one fella in Alberta has colonies but its a small fortune to have them shipped. Local LFS in Toronto has none, ever...
Live aquaria, divers den, mariculture corals can sometimes find “non damicoris” pocillopora species. I have never seen eydouxi though

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acans are currently under a glass cage until I get my new tank up and running.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty in the past behaved well. But you already know no fish is like the next one.: they all have own behavior

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a flame angel but didn't want to risk it with what I have spent on corals. I noticed the tank of the month had a few angels too and I was like what the heck??!?!?!?!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spotbreast angel is completely reef safe and he’s a complete ******, chasing any new comer and anything white or remotely similar looking. He’s in QT jail for attacking my new convict tang. Kinda wanna re-home it.
**** I'd give you a convict for it aby day of the week, he'll id gladly give you my convict just to be done with it

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a few corals but I have not seen them nip at them.
I have a koran, emperor and 2 bicolors
2021061808364127--2186764812117283193-IMG_3717-L.jpg

2021061808362206-5956988335789056504-IMG_3718-L.jpg

They were always part of the plan for the 240 so I thought the euphyllia would be goners but they havent touched them.
They grow really fast.
January of last year
IMG_2115-L.jpg
Holy crap you imperator grew fast! Must be cause you tank is almost twice size of mine

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one flame and one imperator before. I never saw them even nip anything. Think I was just lucky. Planning to get my first angel since I restarted the tank. Potters angel….kinda nervous to push my luck with another imperator since I have more SPS now…

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my buddy who is a Goldflake Angelfish for the last 3 years. I adore this fish, its my little (was) buddy to have coffee with in the morning. Sir Goldflake has had only Cyphastra (Rainbow Madness, Bizzaro, and Skittles Bomb) in the tank and has shown zero interest in any of them.

Back