Reef Safe (Kinda) Angelfish: What are your favorites & how did they do long term?

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 211 34.3%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 90 14.6%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 36 5.8%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 177 28.7%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept him with all Caribbean corals, so not too many meaty LPS. They need a HUGE tank, tho. I wish I had kept more pics of him, he was an absolute pig.

french.jpg
I raised a baby French Angel in a 180g tank with various other fish over the years. I had some soft corals but did not worry if anyone nipped at them. I had her 8 yrs -she was about 10" and ate a romane lettuce leaf or nori sheet every other day. She loved table shrimp too.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the innovative marine but need to find something else. Unfortunately 2 out of three have had magnets blow up in my tank with light use.
man, i am beginning to think its best to use a magnet cleaner and superglue a clip on. The build quality of these algae clips seem to lack a little

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Blue-Girdled Angelfish and he was absolutely reef-safe!
The only thing he ever touched was my clam back in the days.

Every other coral no matter how fleshy it was he never nipped.

Gave him away when I cut of the tank. (moving)

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four angels in my tank:

- Majestic
- Bicolor
- Coral Beauty
- Potters

The Coral Beauty and the Potters had real battles between each other at the beginning and I even had to put one of them in the sump for a while. Now they just chase each other around from time to time.

The Majestic and Bicolor have been no problem at all.

As far as I can tell, none of the four have ever touched a coral. But I do feed pretty heavy so maybe that's why?

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel (model citizen) and a multibar angel (acan eater). Spike, my multibar has eaten a couple small acan frags, but he’s left alone everything else including lobos and trachys.
Gorgeous fish, would love to have a multibar and flame together. What size tank are you running them in?

Jdawgfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Safe Angelfish = Kinda, but not really, could be, maybe and you never know!

No angelfish is truly 100% reef safe but some of these fish have a pretty good track record of leaving corals and inverts alone! The beauty of these fish often lure reefkeepers into taking a chance and housing them in their reef tanks! Sometimes it's successful and other times it's not! Today let's talk about your experience!

1. What is your favorite "mostly reef safe" angelfish?

2. What "mostly reef safe" angelfish have you had that went rogue?

3. What are some tips for keeping a "mostly reef safe" angelfish from eating your coral?

Spotbreast angelfish image via @fabutahoun
1-2-Fadi-Genicanthus melanospilos Female.jpg

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four angels in my tank:

- Majestic
- Bicolor
- Coral Beauty
- Potters

The Coral Beauty and the Potters had real battles between each other at the beginning and I even had to put one of them in the sump for a while. Now they just chase each other around from time to time.

The Majestic and Bicolor have been no problem at all.

As far as I can tell, none of the four have ever touched a coral. But I do feed pretty heavy so maybe that's why?
I think that’s the key, I have 2 multicolor angels, 2 flameback angels, 2 multibar angels, 1 venustus angel, and a Pygmy who never touch corals

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s the key, I have 2 multicolor angels, 2 flameback angels, 2 multibar angels, 1 venustus angel, and a Pygmy who never touch corals
what size tank do you have? what skimmer do you have? do you have any other mechanical filtration?

Sorry for the myriad of questions. I plan to heavily stock my tank. I oversized my skimmer and don't use filter socks.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank do you have? what skimmer do you have? do you have any other mechanical filtration?

Sorry for the myriad of questions. I plan to heavily stock my tank. I oversized my skimmer and don't use filter socks.
I have a few tanks but I have like two angels in each. I know people will go crazy but I have a multibar flameback and multicolor in my 60. My 40 innovative marine has two more and even my 30 long has a flameback and Pygmy. The flameback would chase the Pygmy for more than a month but now they swim everywhere together. My tanks are all in one tanks, so no sump, I’m just really consistent with the water changes every week. Oh and none even have a skimmer

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few tanks but I have like two angels in each. I know people will go crazy but I have a multibar flameback and multicolor in my 60. My 40 innovative marine has two more and even my 30 long has a flameback and Pygmy. The flameback would chase the Pygmy for more than a month but now they swim everywhere together. My tanks are all in one tanks, so no sump, I’m just really consistent with the water changes every week. Oh and none even have a skimmer
That is amazing. I currently have a 4" blueface (still changing to adult coloration), 5" purple tang and a flame angel in a 90g cube. I really want to add a regal. But looking at the way the purple tang sizes up the blueface and how the blueface bites at the flame is making me hesitant. I thought about buying another flame... being that this is a cube. There isn't much space to run. Its only 30x30.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazing. I currently have a 4" blueface (still changing to adult coloration), 5" purple tang and a flame angel in a 90g cube. I really want to add a regal. But looking at the way the purple tang sizes up the blueface and how the blueface bites at the flame is making me hesitant. I thought about buying another flame... being that this is a cube. There isn't much space to run. Its only 30x30.
My 40 gallon is a cube but I know that the blue face gets big so I’m not sure how that would work. I’m happy I got multibars that were eating and a venustus that was eating

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40 gallon is a cube but I know that the blue face gets big so I’m not sure how that would work. I’m happy I got multibars that were eating and a venustus that was eating
i just acquired a Red Sea 750xxl. Its going to be awhile before I set it up. The biggest problem is the red sea will go right where my cube is going. LOL

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back