Reef safe urchin that'll eat coralline off rocks?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a popular opinion, but I don't like the look of coralline. In fact, I like the look of brand new dry/dead rock (like marco rocks). In a past tank, I had a tuxedo urchin and my tank's surfaces always looked brand new (not sure if it was a coincidence, or that my tank was so dead coralline and other algae never were introduced).

Are there any reef safe urchins that are known to clean a tank of coralline?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline grows fast, no urchin will keep up with it long term. I have 2 pincushions that eat it but they never fully eradicate it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a popular opinion, but I don't like the look of coralline. In fact, I like the look of brand new dry/dead rock (like marco rocks). In a past tank, I had a tuxedo urchin and my tank's surfaces always looked brand new (not sure if it was a coincidence, or that my tank was so dead coralline and other algae never were introduced).

Urchins make it spread even more. Better to just scrape it with a blade

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hate corraline.

The Tuxedo urchin I have feasts on the stuff.

Unfortunately the horrible stuff leaves marks which the urchin does not remove.

If you find a solution to that problem, you can have my tank and all the problems that go with it.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My urchins keep my coralline in check enough to let corals be the primary encrusters. I have a ORA tuxedo and a pincushion. The ORA pincushion is more effective, but also larger and more of a bulldozer. Good for larger tanks as it will cover more area fast though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy way to hide coralline:
Coral.
Specifically anything fast growing such as Duncan’s, Mushrooms, GSP.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Or, you could live with it until you have something that encrusts over the rock or something like acros to distract from the coralline.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a purple short spine pin cushion urchin in my roughly 40gal display. It used to be solid purple rocks and coralline constantly growing on the glass. Since introducing the urchin coralline has slowly disappeared from the rocks and glass. I have a 40breeder frag tank hooked into the same system that consistently grows coralline with no issues. I think the key is having very little algae for them to feed on in the first place and they will devour any coralline they can get to.

You can see him on the back wall in this photo. I have liferock so it had purple epoxy before coralline coated the rocks the urchin has even removed most of the epoxy so my rocks are a light purple/grey now.
20220601_204114.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back