Reef Salt High Mag

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this? I've been noticing my mag has been increasing since I started a new box of AF reef salt. I decided to test a batch.
I decided to run multiple tests. I picked up a Salifert Mg test kit and I already use Red Sea Pro both where hovering right around Mg 1600 ppm.

Aquaforest Reef Salt
temp. 78 f
Salt 34 ppt
Alk 8 dKH
Ca 410 ppm
Mg 1600 ppm

So after I got these number on the new box of salt I decided to test the old box and it's the same deal.

I bought this 22kg box on Amazon and plan on returning it but I'd really like an answer from Aquaforest. What's up with the bad salt? I'm concerned if you can't get your salt right what about everything else?

OP
andrew james

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
So I decided to test some Red Sea Salt I had just to see if there was something causing my tests to go off. It tested at 1380 for Mag. I feel my testing is at least accurate in showing a difference between the different salts. I just cant figure out why this AF salt is so high.

OP
andrew james

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
I was Coral Pro salt I no longer use because of its high alk.

Perry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok,
My advice is to use 35ppt calibration fluid on the refractometer first, and ensure that the calibration is on. Not saying it isn't, just something to look at first. Next, mix the salt to 78 degrees F and mix to 33ppt. Maybe like what happened to me recently, you could have one or two refractometers out of calibration. I was using 1 to validate the other, wound up being both were off, and my reef was running 36ppt, a much higher concentration of salt than I prefer, I like to stay at 34ppt myself. Just something to consider. Thanks :)

OP
andrew james

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it's just bad salt. A 10th of a percent + or - salt in the water wouldn't change mag numbers by 200 ppm.

OP
andrew james

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
I guess i should mention. Ive noticed no adverse effects other than my numbers being off

Perry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I got you, FWIW, I have used for over a year and never ran any higher than 1350, ever, I do 10% water changes, and as you suggest with numbers, 10% displacement of 1600 mag would not impact your levels enough to harm anything, IMO. AF recommends 10% water changes, for tank conversions. Cheers

OP
andrew james

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
I do continuous water change of around 10% total volume per week.

Perry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it is not working out for you, best of luck either way and happy reefing :)

Barry Bowen

View Badges
Reaction score
I had this exact same problem with high Mg levels. Aquaforest did not want a bar of it.
I use NSW and threw over half a bucket of reef salt away

OP
andrew james

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
I switched to Red Sea Blue bucket and did 100 gallon water change spread over 5 days. my mg is now down to 1380.

Barry Bowen

View Badges
Reaction score
I was very disappointed with AF response. They said more or less this was not possible.
It was cheaper and easier to just start using NSW again for me. I have yet to see the AF probiotic salt in Oz

roberts01

View Badges
Reaction score
Just bumped on this, i am using red sea pro and once in a while i get ny mg level above 1500, but now i know why - red sea pro salt. Switching to tropic marin pro. :)

The River

View Badges
Reaction score
Just switched to AF reef salt and newly mixed salt at 35ppm is giving me 1620 mag... Considering dumping it. Has anyone confirmed their salt has high Mag

Aquaforest

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi. I need to purchase salt today. I was going to purchase AF reef salt but I don't want to have a high mag salt. Has this issue been resolved?
Hello,
All of our salts are tested on ICP-OES before they are packing and batch number is outside the bucket. You can check parameters of this batch online: https://aquaforest.eu/en/icp-oes-results/

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 324 61.0%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 130 24.5%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 79 14.9%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 351 66.1%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 344 64.8%