Reef Salt High Mag

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
I recently had two 171 gallon boxes of Reef Salt and getting similar results. Both boxes over 1600 mag. Tested with Aquaforest Magnesium test kit and Red Sea pro Magnesium test numerous times. I also contacted Aquaforest and they told me it was probably my home test kit. I'm not buying it. To many people are reporting this issue. I also switched to Red Sea Blue bucket and am getting Normal Magnesium readings. It's a shame as I'm running the full Aquaforst method and I would prefer to use their salt.

Quatrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Check or osmose shows tds 0.00. Then the residue will remain in your container. For example mg. Therefore, the tests show high level of mg. This is a high concentration reef salt that has more mg. See when the salt is produced. This problem was due to the old salt production.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
I also use AF salt and yes my parameters are always close to 1500. Just got back an ATI test that confirmed my tests are correct. However, for me I don’t mind the high Mag, not an issue. I like the salt enough not to worry about it.

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Check or osmose shows tds 0.00. Then the residue will remain in your container. For example mg. Therefore, the tests show high level of mg. This is a high concentration reef salt that has more mg. See when the salt is produced. This problem was due to the old salt production.
I dont understand what you are trying to say.

I stopped using the salt a year ago because of this. No one keeps the salt in stock anyways, because of the same reason. I still love and use other af products. But I had to switch to the blue buckets, even though i dont really change water anymore.

Daniel92481

View Badges
Reaction score
This is somewhat confusing because it seems to me that doing weekly water changes like a lot of us do, would only raise the mag content in our tanks. This could be because our tanks are not utilizing the mag as rapidly as we are replacing it, causing a build up over time. I use Fritz RPM(blue box) and it says it mixes to a concentration of 1300-1400. I do weekly water changes of 5 gallons in a 25 gallon tank and my mag was >1500 using a Salifert test kit. I waited 3 days, tested again, and it was 1485. I truly believe we are diluting our systems. Try testing it at the end of the week before your water change.

sweendog87

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm doin a water change today so I'll test mag and see what I get just started using af and this is the first bad thing I've heard about af

mr. lovestrong

View Badges
Reaction score
i have tested MG in the the 1600 range also using red sea titration test. using probiotic salt mixed at 35ppt.

as also mentioned by someone else earlier, i have not observed any decline in coral or fish health.

Edson de Paula

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem here with my AF Reef Salt.
My Mg is 1800 in the tank, I've tested a freshly mixed saltwater before I do a water change and I'm getting 1580 at 1024sg /32ppt (using a hanna salinity test just calibrated).

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 328 61.0%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 133 24.7%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 81 15.1%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 356 66.2%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 53 9.9%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 350 65.1%