Reef salt or sea salt for first tank

newbee1208

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello everyone I’m new here and I’m new to the hobby . I have a few questions looking for some help for you guys on getting my first tank up and running . I have most of the things I need to get my tank going , I’m starting a 40 salt water reef tank so my first question is I’m buying RODI water from my local aquarium and I would like in put on what salt to use . Because I’m a few months I want to add frags , coral to my tank would it make a difference if I just started with instant ocean sea salt or reef crystals sea salt by instant ocean . I was thinking of just using the reef salt because I want to add reef later anyway (plus I rushed and bought a bucket all ready ) . And my next question is if I did use the reef salt with out any reef for a few months until I decided to add reef would it affect the fish because I know it has calcium/alkaline and some other thing in the reef mix . And is that something I need to worry about at the beginning if I use reef salt with fish and no reef for a few months if that makes since . Thanks for the platform to ask for help ..
I forgot to add this to my post or question I went to my local fish store or aquarium and ask which salt should I use sea salt or reef salt dude said they all the same I said why the instant ocean have reef salt and sea salt in two different color buckets he said one has a little more add to then the other but they are basically the same . He said one of the guys that work there uses the most expensive reef salt in his home tank and still has to dose . This is very confusing to a newbee like me I’m all over the place .

Nutramar Foods
AquaSD

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have used instant ocean since day one, brilliant, can match salinity easily during water change.
Last buy of 20kg of reef crystals... I'm using alot more to match and seems to take longer to disintegrate, costs more per kilo also :(. Still playing with it

reef_725

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have used both high and "low end" mixes, in my opinion just use what you already bought, I've never heard of causing any issues with fish so I wouldn't worry about that. seeing as your just getting started and your first frags will likely not be very demanding I would put this low on the things to worry about scale for a while..

Top Shelf Aquatics

How have you used eggcrate in or around your aquarium?

• Aquarium lid

Votes: 82 30.1%
  • Frag rack

Votes: 142 52.2%
  • Skimmer stand

Votes: 83 30.5%
  • Sump Divider

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 39 14.3%
  • I have not used eggcrate in or around my aquarium

Votes: 69 25.4%
Reef Breeders