Reef Spotlight - Nov/Dec 2009 - "SunnyX"

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! In the write up you mentioned no controller and no probes but you mentioned your ph stays at 8.4

How do you know with out a ph monitor? Test kit?

I have a portable PH moniter that I use once a week to make sure everything is inline.

Congrats Sonny. Bring on the cup :)

Thanks Mark! The cup isn't too far away! :cool:

Acropora Crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Sunny!!!
If anyone deserves this you do for sure.
You have helped me tons in reefing before I was booted off that other site.

Keep up the good work!

Oh I discovered my problems were not algae but dino's.
So at least I know what it is now and the battle is on!
Any suggestions on battling these other than the norm?
raise the PH
no W/C
lees feedings
lees photo period
lots of phosban

reefdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome setup sonny.

what's your aussie delicate look like? i don't see it in your photos.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Sunny!!!
If anyone deserves this you do for sure.
You have helped me tons in reefing before I was booted off that other site.

Keep up the good work!

Oh I discovered my problems were not algae but dino's.
So at least I know what it is now and the battle is on!
Any suggestions on battling these other than the norm?
raise the PH
no W/C
lees feedings
lees photo period
lots of phosban

awesome setup sonny.

Thank you! :D

Elevated ph and a lights out period usually does the trick when battling Dino's: Dinoflagellates and the treament of.... - Rimless Reef

what's your aussie delicate look like? i don't see it in your photos.
Ill see if I can get a shot of it. It is a VERY picky coral. Currently it has brown flesh, blue tips, and light green polyps. On the brightside, it is growing.....slowly.

reefdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill see if I can get a shot of it. It is a VERY picky coral. Currently it has brown flesh, blue tips, and light green polyps. On the brightside, it is growing.....slowly.

yeah that's what mine looks like. when it's happy i get really long PE. i think it like lots of light (400+ PAR) and lots of flow (like 18 inches from my vortech mp40)

i'd love to see a pic. mine is small but i am getting good growth under high light

TwistedEnvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great set up. I noticed that you have anthias, but you only feed every other day? Every place I have looked at says that they need multiple feedings per day. Would you say this is untrue for the species you have or...?

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, love the colors and the arrangement

Thanks!

Great set up. I noticed that you have anthias, but you only feed every other day? Every place I have looked at says that they need multiple feedings per day. Would you say this is untrue for the species you have or...?

I have had the Anthias for years and they do fine with the feeding schedule. They are fat, healthy, and active. Im not saying that the advice you have received is wrong, but the same people would also tell you that vodka and bacteria additives dont belong in a reef system. ;)

Very Nice.

Joe

Thanks!

Congrats Sonny! Well deserved!

Thanks! Look for a PM from me soon. There is something that may interest you.

Joezreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats Sonny your tank is beautiful...Im going to start a mb7/ vodka dosing this week....Im going to take your advice and dose the bacteria for 2 weeks prior to the vodka.....I have a bunch of big fish that I have had for many years...do I need to worry about them with this dosing? also my tank is 4 years old Im sure dosing the bacteria will work with a little older tank?
Thanks Joe

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BUMP for more people to enjoy this aquarium!

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Sonnny, on another accomplishment of a beautiful tank. I really admire this set up as much as your RC TOTM. The colors you get with those T-5s really are off the charts and often recommend your lamps to those that want to run t-5s. Well done and highly admire what you have accomplished.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Sonnny, on another accomplishment of a beautiful tank. I really admire this set up as much as your RC TOTM. The colors you get with those T-5s really are off the charts and often recommend your lamps to those that want to run t-5s. Well done and highly admire what you have accomplished.

Thanks! T5's have proven to be avazing in their rendition of colors. I love T5's and will continue to use them in the future, at least until LED's come down in price. :p

Way to go Sonny! Great Job!

Thanks bro! :)

Really nice tank. Colors are jumping from the tank.

Thank you! :D

Seasonedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sunny,

I have a couple questions to ask if you don't mind? My first is how did you come up with dosing 14 drops of MB7? Is this because of your bio load? I know the MB7 said to dose 1 drop per 50 gallons per day to maintain low nutrient. But... what is the benifit of dosing more? I want to follow in your foot steps on the low nutrient end of reefing but you dont really have anything on your site as to what your doses where to start you only have your daily doses or from what I have seen anyways. Sorry if I over looked it somewhere im just trying to get a little insight that's all. I really envy your reefkeeping skills and just would like to know more! Any future plans with this reef?

Back