Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefspotlight23.jpg

REEF SPOTLIGHT - November 2012
The Reef Aquarium of:
Marvin Dela Paz aka "MarvinsReef"
You can also check out Marvin's tank build here on R2R:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/23993-marvinsreef-110g-clownfish-anemone-tank.html

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40459-current-fts.jpg

Introduction

I would like to thank Reef2Reef (R2R) and its community for nominating my tank to be the Reef Spotlight for this month. I have been part of this community since Day 1. I still remember the day I got invited to participate in a "thermos swap" for some of the hardcore Z's and P's collectors many years ago. Looking back those days makes me really proud of what R2R has become and it's been a privilege to watch revhtree (Rev) transform R2R to one of the best and biggest reef sites on the net. I enjoy meeting new friends here, learning as much as I can about reefing, and helping others when I can. Throughout my years of reefing, I’ve set up different tanks and have gone through many transformations. I was introduced in the reefing world by my younger brother (Mabisyo). He used to work at a LFS in the late 90’s early 00’s. Our first tank was a 29g salt water tank. At first, I only supported him financially but didn't care much about the hobby. I thought it was neat to have some nice looking fishes to look at. I was always amazed at his dedication to continually check tank parameters, do water changes, etc... I thought he was crazy to spend all this time to have tank. Little did I know that years later, I would become an avid “reefer.” Little by little I got involved by assisting my brother with water changes and I would ask him questions every now and then. A few years had gone by and my bro decided that he wanted to go back to the Philippines to go to school. This opened the avenue for me to get hooked on the hobby. Before he left, he taught me as much as he could and I tried my best to learn as much as I could, both online and hands on. That's pretty much how I got started in the hobby.

Fast forward to my current tank... in 2006, we moved to a house and I had a perfect excuse to upgrade to a bigger tank. I sold off most of my corals and fishes and started new. The current tank is a 110g, purchased from a local that was leaving the hobby. I would like to thank Poseidon and JuniorMC8704 for helping me pick up the tank and pretty much install everything for me. I'm not much of a DIY guy so I needed some help. The tank has gone through several transformations over the past few years. Now that I look back, I realize that I tend to change the theme every year. I guess I get bored a lot once I fill up the tank with the new theme... Haha. The progression shots show pictures of the tank during each of the different themes. My current theme is a clownfish & anemone tank. I’ve always been intrigued by the idea and have been reading about the topic on and off for a few years. I finally decided to try it out when I found a local breeder that could supply me with some nice Picasso's and Platinums (Thanks BriGuy31+). I was also fortunate to find someone local that has been propagating RBTA's for almost 10 years. I started transforming the tank last November, adding a few wild BTAs purchased from the LFS. In December, I was finally able to bring the 4-5 month old Picasso's and Platinums home. This current set up has given me the most joy thus far, especially because I'm able to share it with my family. My two boys have their favorites and they always look for them when they are around the tank. My wife even thinks it's cool to have a "Nemo" tank. LoL.

Let me throw out some warnings for those that are tempted to try a clownfish/anemone tank. First and foremost, do your research about setting up a clownfish/anemone tank. Read and ask questions to those that have had success in the hobby. But then again, there's no guarantee that it will work for your tank. The best thing you can do is just be prepared for whatever happens. So far, in this journey, I would say that the precautions I've taken have made my transition work. I have successfully added, in three separate occasions, newcomers to the tank. The established and dominant clowns do give the newcomers a hard time at first. I believe that they are letting them know who rules the tank and the anemones. Currently, I have about 20 clowns and over a dozen BTA's. Half of the clowns patrol the BTA's and the other half swim out in the open (less dominant) during the day. At night, all the clowns find a spot in the nems. It's been an amazing journey so far watching the clowns develop from very young juveniles. Hopefully, one day, I’ll have a dominant pair that consistently spawns with some juvis hanging around, just like in the wild.

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40475-tank7.jpg

System Profile

Display tank: 110 gallons (48" x 24" x 22").
Glass or Acrylic:Glass.
Stand: Custom made by previous owner.
Sump:36" x 18" x 12" tank with baffles.
Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus SRO 2000-INT
Carbon/phosphate filtration: GFO in a Phosban reaction & Carbon in a bag.. soon to be in a reactor too.
Return Pump: Mag 9.5
Water circulation: Vortech MP40 in Reef Crest mode almost full blast.
Lighting: Aquactinics Contellation 7 bulb fixture.
Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing: No dosing, replenished by water changes.
Auto top-off: Tunze Osmolator.
RO/DI: Water is purchased from Water To Go (12 stage system)
Heating/cooling: Ebo Jager 250w heater.
System control: Aqua Controller Jr.

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40474-tank6.jpg

Lighting Photoperiod

2:30 PM: (2) Blue+ ON
4:00 PM: (2) Blue+ & (1) Fiji Purple ON
7:00 PM: (1) Aquablue Special & (1) Blue+ ON
10:00 PM: (1) Aquablue Special & (1) Blue+ OFF
11:00 PM: (2) Blue+ & (1) Fiji Purple OFF
12:30 AM: (2) Blue+ (1) Aquablue Special & (1) Blue+ OFF

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40473-tank5.jpg

Bulb Combo (front to back)
ATI Blue +
ATI Blue +
ATI Blue +
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue +
ATI Blue Special
ATI Blue +

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40472-tank4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives

My routine is one water change of 10-15g (approximately 10%-15% water volume) weekly. I try to keep it simple with this routine. I find that after a few weeks of doing this consistently, everything in the tank looks happy and is thriving, so I’m sticking to this routine until I come up with something better. The SRO 2000 INT does a very good job of skimming and I skim a little wet, yielding 12-16oz every two days. I also have GFO in a Phosban reactor and Carbon in a mesh bag to help with Phosphates and water clarity.

Tank Inhabitants—Fish

(1) ORA Premium Picasso (approximately 3 years old)
(12+) Picasso (from BriGuy31+ -- 15 months old)
(1) Platinum (from BriGuy31+ -- 15 months old)
(2) Picasso (from BriGuy31+ -- 10 months old)
(2) Picasso (from BriGuy31+ -- 6 months old)
(1) Platinum (from BriGuy31+ -- 6 months old)
(1) Yellow Tang
(1) Chevron Tang
(1) Lyretail anthias (female turning male)
(5) Azure damsels (one pair has laid eggs a few times now)
(1) Linespot flasher
(1) Carpenter’s flasher

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40457-clown15.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40456-clown14.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40455-clown13.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40454-clown12.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40453-clown11.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40452-clown10.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40451-clown9.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40450-clown8.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40449-clown7.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40448-clown6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40447-clown5.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40446-clown4.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40445-clown3.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40444-clown2.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40443-clown1.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40458-clown16.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40466-fish5.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40467-fish6.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40465-fish4-1.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40464-fish3.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40463-fish2.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40460-fish1.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40461-fish1eggs.jpg

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40462-fish1eggs2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progression Photos

March 2010
swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40440-03-2010-fts.jpg

March 2011
swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40441-03-2011-fts.jpg

November 2011
swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40442-11-2011-fts.jpg

October 2012
swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40469-tank1a.jpg

Fish and BTA Feeding

I have an auto feeder that feeds TDO & Spectrum pellets twice daily, but I sometimes feed the tank a few more times when I’m home. I also feed the BTA’s a mixture of PE Mysis, Hikari Mysis, and Formula 2 once per week.

[video=youtube;i4zfpICNaPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4zfpICNaPs[/video]

Conclusion

I truly enjoy this hobby and what comes with it; sometimes joy, sometimes grief. It’s a lot of hard work but it’s worthwhile knowing that the inhabitants you care for are happy and thriving. Every once in a while, this enjoyment is aplified when someone is recognized by fellow reefers for a job well done with their tank. For this reason, I’d like to thank R2R... Rev, the staff, and members. R2R is an awesome place to learn, connect, and interact with fellow enthusiasts. I'd also like extend thanks to the many friends and family (especially my wife and kids) that have supported me throughout the years. Happy Reefing!

swannyson7-albums-marvin-s-spotlight-picture40468-tank1.jpg

[video=youtube;QjohTnBd3YY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjohTnBd3YY[/video]​

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW WEEEE! Simply beautiful!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up! Congrats Marvin!!!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Marvin, looks great! 1smile1

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even a big fan of clowns, but that little habitat you have set up for them is awesome! Very unique and interesting. Great work!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again this tank is amazing. :)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kudos everyone. :)

Don't forget to watch the vids on HD. If you have any questions about the tank or set up that I forgot to mention, just ask. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even a big fan of clowns, but that little habitat you have set up for them is awesome! Very unique and interesting. Great work!!!
Thank you. believe it or not.. this "theme" has given me the most enjoyment out of all the themes I've tried. there's always something to see with the interaction between clowns and clowns/anemone. it's amazing to witness how the hierarchy develop. I'm just waiting to see who the 3yrs old ORA Premium Picasso will mate with. there are two very good candidates atm. we'll see...

also, the Azure damsels laying eggs has written another chapter for this theme. a few days ago, I saw a different clutch of eggs in a pot in the middle of the tank with a different male guarding the eggs. I'm still trying to pinpoint if a 2nd pair has laid the eggs or the same female and a different male has laid the eggs.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't into BTAs until I saw your tank and had to try one, or two. :)

Beautiful tank, congrats on the spotlight. Very deserving.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin, personally i believe you have one of the most stunning tanks i've ever seen. I think very rarely has an anemone theme been done as successfully or as beautifully as yours.

I thought the story of your brother starting you out in the hobby was great and you must drop his jaw every time he sees your tank!

Congrats on the spotlight, your tank is amazing!

paul

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back