Reef supplies out of stock???

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

It appears many aquarium stores are out of stock of many supplies. I am seeing out of stock on light fixtures, RO/DI units, and skimmers at many stores. Does anyone know why? Is this a supply chain issue due to COVID? Are there a bunch of people setting up a reef system? Is there something else?

Just curious if anyone has seen the same issue and knows what is going on?

Thanks.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes in my opinion its with Covid, just have to explore all options, BRS or MD if your LFS don't have what you need.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Covid related. Many stores having problems with delayed shipments and many suppliers such as neptune are on limited staff and limited hours

OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is one of the stores that is out of stock on many items. I

OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Covid related. Many stores having problems with delayed shipments and many suppliers such as neptune are on limited staff and limited hours
I had not thought about having limited staff that does make it hard to get supplies where they need to go.

Last edited:

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple supply chain issues with more people staying at home and buying. I decided to start in this hobby just before covid so I didn't know if this supply issue was normal or not.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Couple supply chain issues with more people staying at home and buying. I decided to start in this hobby just before covid so I didn't know if this supply issue was normal or not.
very abnormal and question is WHEN we will see some normalcy in the industry. imagine all the Coral swaps and meets we have missed this year thus far

OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby in 2005 to 2011 and never had issues buying reef equipment. Now I am having trouble finding the equipment I want. I just hope the supply issues do not make it harder on vendors. They cannot make money if they have no product to sell. Strange times.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby in 2005 to 2011 and never had issues buying reef equipment. Now I am having trouble finding the equipment I want. I just hope the supply issues do not make it harder on vendors. They cannot make money if they have no product to sell. Strange times.

Yes it is.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus a lot of the equipment items are imported so that makes it even harder to get. It seems the Germain stuff is really sparotic.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just wondering if there was one thing in particular you were looking for, or just more in general noticing a shortage of items available?

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at my lfs, and it's shipping. Everyone is gouging on shipping (3-4x price) so the stores have a very hard time bringing things in and not losing money.

OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just wondering if there was one thing in particular you were looking for, or just more in general noticing a shortage of items available?
I am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon tank. I will be purchasing a RO/DI unit, lights, and possibly a skimmer. I have seen shortages in all three of these items. The RO/DI unit I would like to buy is out of stock at most stores. I think I found one in stock, but have not purchased it yet.

I am building a canopy for a certain light system. I wanted to purchase the lights in a few weeks when I actually need it, but I went ahead and ordered it today because I am worried it want be in stock when I am ready for it.

I know firearms were in high demand early in the Pandemic. Bicycles and work out equipment have been in high demand. I understand that on average nation wide residential real estate is doing very well.

Fish keeping is a stay at home activity and I was wondering if the aquarium supply companies are doing very well due to high demand or if it is a supply chain issue that may be hurting these companies.

I am fortunate that I have some spare money for this hobby. I know there are lots of people hurting financially. I hope the Pandemic can get under control and the economy can recover quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at my lfs, and it's shipping. Everyone is gouging on shipping (3-4x price) so the stores have a very hard time bringing things in and not losing money.
I was hoping LFS might be doing very well, but it sounds like shipping and handling cost may be cutting into your profits.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back