REEF TANGS! How many tangs do you have in your reef?

How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank?

Votes: 419 25.8%

Votes: 340 20.9%

Votes: 284 17.5%

Votes: 220 13.5%

Votes: 117 7.2%
  • 5+

Votes: 235 14.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 0.6%

• Total voters

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72x24 tank with 1 White Cheek(Gold Rim) and 1 Yellow.

Gold Rim 2 (1 of 1).jpg

And my yellow, who doesn't like me very much....always postures like this when I sit in front of the tank. :p

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Caribean blue Tang. . Had no idea how fast these guys grow and how big they get.. This dude is huge.. Probably easily 10-11 inch around and I have had him less than 2 years. My Black Long Nose tang, I've I'd for 7 years. He grew to about 8 inches around and hasn't grown much past that. I was hoping he'd get bigger, but, my blue tang out grow my black tang in half the time! I have a Mimic tang which I found out is also known as a yellow lemon peel tang. I got him from a fellow reefer who had had him for a few years. He's doing great in my tank and has been transitioning his colors. I'll have to get pictures... The mimic tang is beautiful. The black tang is really cool too and great personality. The blue tang acts like a child. He chases fish around the tank for fun. Then goes and hides until a fish swims by then chases it. I swear he plays games with the other fish.

I have a 350 gallon tank, 6 foot long by 3 feet wide by 31" tall. All 3 tangs love swimming in an dout of the caves.. The mimic has scratched himself trying to swim through caves that he doesn't fit in. . . . oops.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. Did I mention at least 4240 miles as well and that’s from the east coast!! Lol

Thats about 5478 miles from you. You might need a good acclimatisation box and heat pads. Oh and to get past the UK border force with all those fish!! Lol
ill deal with those problems later lol

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank now? 2

2. What tangs do you have and if you're comfortable with it tell us what size tank you have?
1 White Tail Bristletooth and 1 Yellow Belly Blue. Tank is 130 gallon peninsula DT, 40 gallon sump.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got five on order with TSM and we will may add one or two more down the road. The additions will depend on what larger angle fish pick up. The tank will be (I'm still building the system out) a 270g DT FOWLR.

3x Hippo Blue tangs
1x Desjardini sailfin
1x Blond Naso

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want tangs, but I'm told I need to add them last and all together. So I'm waiting until I get my other residents for the Cade 1800.

Ours have been added at various times. Lt tang by himself (well with other fish but no other tangs), later on 2 yellows, later on vlaminigi and flame, last was the blue hippo (along with a trigger). If I remember @4FordFamily thread (I'm sure he will correct me if I'm off lol) correctly on managing aggression, tangs of the same species/genus should be added together most times, but there's different ways to go with adding others and having them co-exist. We used the mirror method when aggression first showed (haven't had too since the hippo was added) and keep lots of nori in various places, along with occasionally re-arranging the rock work to make it "new".

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just upgraded to a 300g a couple months ago and I've since gone overboard with tangs although about 6 were already with me. Currently I have 15 tangs:

Vlamingi
Kole
Chocolate
Scopas
Sailfin
Hippo
2x Desjardini sailfin
2x Purple
5x Yellow

I'm still supposed to get an Achilles, Gem, Powder Blue and Black but I'm gauging my current stock and maybe I'll only get 2 of those 4

Popkorn0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 tangs in my 200 sps only bare bottom, sallifin,
blue eye,
hippo,
powder brown,
yellow.
All was put not at the same time whit acclimamation box.
I dont have agression,
They eat 1 sheet of norri per day combine whit emperor, flame angel, and a fox face whit 4x autofeed of flake and pellet per day whit 2x frozen food.
I think alot of food help alot for agression.

areiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 1 powder blue, 1 naso tang, 1 purple tang, 150 gallons. I added all within a month of each other, first the pruple and powder together with a naso, but the first naso didnt survive. I added a repleacement this past weekend along with a moorish idol. after initial friction, they all seem to get along now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back