Reef tank build questions

SoCalReefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Finally decided to take the plunge into saltwater aquariums and am going to be doing a reef build. I have had a couple of freshwater tanks (90g and 180g), so the hobby isn't entirely new but saltwater is definitely new. That being said, I have a couple questions and I hope this is the correct place to post this type of thread (if not, please move it and accept my apologies).

I am moving on up from my 180 to a 280 gallon tank (30H x 84L x 24W) to be my new centerpiece. Most likely going to be getting it from "custom aquariums" unless anyone here has had terrible experiences, but so far via e-mail they seem friendly and helpful. The stand is going to be wood only and probably 30 inch height, from what I've read and heard, the weight should be supported without bracing. Those are the basics but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions as to why that isn't good or what might be better, I'm open. Nothing has been bought, it's all in the planning stages at the moment.

For my sump, I think I've narrowed it down to 2 companies: Trigger or BashSea. Does anyone have thoughts or preferences? I am thinking the Trigger Sapphire 39 or the BashSea (either BioFuge or Smart Series, both 36L-18W).

Lastly, the skimmer. I am looking at the Red Sea 600 or Nyos 160 unless someone has a better/different suggestion? Which I am completely open to, hence this post :)

I think those are the basics, at the moment. I kinda feel like I should have those things set before I move onto other items.

Any guidance is very much appreciated!

Thank you.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get the biggest sump you can. A big refugium is my favorite method for big tanks. As for the skimmer, I haven't used the nyos but I like thered sea skimmer. However, I would go with the 900 if you go with red sea since that is quite a large tank and I have a feeling you will want some big fishies :)

OP
OP
S

SoCalReefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time Thank you for the info! You're definitely right, I should go with the 900. What do you, personally, like to have in your refugium?

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with getting the biggest sump you can. I have a 200 gallon tank and I have run out of space in mine. I think I’ve used the space well but if I am being honest, I wish I had gone with the next bigger size.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 foot 240 from Custom Aquariums and am very happy with it. It sits on their all wood stand. My sump is in a fish room separate from the tank.
There is no way to get a large sump in my stand. It has 4 doors on the front and the other sides are solid with small holes on the back for wiring. The sumps they sell are modular and would fit through the doors but if you want something else I would ask them about it.

I also think the skimmers you are looking at are 1 or 2 sizes too small for the system you will end up with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoCalReefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WVNed Awesome, that's good to know about their company. Thanks. They said they *could* make doors on the side of the stand which would allow me to slide things in and out. Tho, I was also considering just getting a different company thru one of the LFS to have them build a stand to fit the sump.

And yes, to the skimmers...you're right. I actually think I may go with the Nyos 220 in the end. It should be big enough for my upcoming tank.

Does anyone have any return pumps they might recommend?

OP
OP
S

SoCalReefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, yeah...there is that. Warranty probably worth getting the lil custom work done. Thanks again for the heads up!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back