Reef tank looks horrible with Radions. Is it me, or the best it gets, or????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the people with the negative comments probably weren't in the hobby when halides and t5s were the go to.
I agree they look better, but LEDs are awesome. Less heat, no bulb changing, etc.
I've been quite happy with aquaillumination, used them for many years now. Not sure why radion feels the need to come out with a different model every year, maybe because when the older ones break the customers are forced to get a "discount" on the new model.
One thing I really don’t like about the leds is you don’t just replace the 50 bulb, you have to replace the 500 fixture

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your experience, I just switch back to halides from radions g5, I try different led brands. People that never had the bright halides will never understand it. To have a pleasant effect with the radion and good coverage I had to add twice as recommended, so no cost and energy saving at all and even this was not enough , I had to supplement with T5.When you put them strong enough that the tank look nice then you burn the corals, when the corals like it, then it is not nice for the eyes in daylight . It is just good in the blue phase, so yes blue fanboys who not have daylights will be happy, others not. Does it growth corals , yes, same than halides no way! Actually, what I like the most is halides with just a blue LED bar for ad a bit more pop. But I agree with you led are just marketing , but people never had a good light before or very blue will not see the difference. Some of my corals showed immediately improvement in poly extension from the switch. Check the halides topic here in the forum, many switched back already.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I really don’t like about the leds is you don’t just replace the 50 bulb, you have to replace the 500 fixture
Lots of them can actually be fixed for quite cheap if you're handy. Lots of tutorials on here if you search for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigfish1152

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the people with the negative comments probably weren't in the hobby when halides and t5s were the go to.
I agree they look better, but LEDs are awesome. Less heat, no bulb changing, etc.
I 99.9% agree with your statement but for a slight change:

"Half the people with the negative comments probably weren't in the hobby when halides and t5s were the go to.
I agree they look better, but LEDs are awesome FOR less heat, no bulb changing $ color selection/adjustability."

I feel really really sorry for the new reefers that just dont get to see what halide and T5's are all about before switching or making a final choice.

OP
OP
B

bigfish1152

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of them can actually be fixed for quite cheap you're handy. Lots of tutorials on here if you search for them.
I think thats why I got my setup cheap. The shop could not get them to work right off the bat and figured they were on the way out. I beat on them for 2-3 hours and finally got them to co-operate.

OP
OP
B

bigfish1152

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Lamborghini. So much hype doesn’t do well in snow and cost a lot to fix.
So, by your analogy, I should take the G4's off my tank and ride them to work? Cause they sure aint working right for me on the tank! I MUST be using them for the wrong job!?

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That extra heat is killer. I just installed hybrid beginning of this summer and definitely notice my ac having harder time keeping up during the day. Looks like it’s time to have 25 year old ac unit replaced.
I wonder if the led t5s are worth anything.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been through T5s, Halides, Hybrids and have finally settled on LEDs. For me, I have had no performance/coral growth issues with LEDs compared to the latter. I dont think Adam from battlecorals has noticed any growth or health difference either.

My recommendation is to find a light source that is visually appealing and just running with it. I like the visual spectrum of LEDs, so I use them. ‍

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, by your analogy, I should take the G4's off my tank and ride them to work? Cause they sure aint working right for me on the tank! I MUST be using them for the wrong job!?
They might make nice snow shoes. It sounds like you're somewhere cooler that can get away with MH. This hobby is too expensive to run the wrong equipment.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Remember T12 VHO?
Remember Power Compacts?
Remeber SE Halides then DE? Overdriven ballasts?
then T5's? Then Dimmable T5's? Overdriven ballasts?
Then DIY LED systems without lenses that you drilled into heatsinks and mounted yourself? Then focused Lenses?
I got out right when LED was becoming popular and it was exciting when I was getting back in to choose them. It's been a wild ride over the last 25 years but let me tell you, LED is here to stay until the next big break through.

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your experience, I just switch back to halides from radions g5, I try different led brands. People that never had the bright halides will never understand it. To have a pleasant effect with the radion and good coverage I had to add twice as recommended, so no cost and energy saving at all and even this was not enough , I had to supplement with T5.When you put them strong enough that the tank look nice then you burn the corals, when the corals like it, then it is not nice for the eyes in daylight . It is just good in the blue phase, so yes blue fanboys who not have daylights will be happy, others not. Does it growth corals , yes, same than halides no way! Actually, what I like the most is halides with just a blue LED bar for ad a bit more pop. But I agree with you led are just marketing , but people never had a good light before or very blue will not see the difference. Some of my corals showed immediately improvement in poly extension from the switch. Check the halides topic here in the forum, many switched back already.
I been reef keeping online for 20 years and on rc during these days. The debate has just change from t5 vs single ended/de w/ t12 vho to led vs. all.

14k bulb run on an m80 ballast with t12 vho is still a killer look.

It was way worse with lighting back in the day because you had so many bulbs, light ballast, and reflectors. Each one change the way the bulbs looked and coverage. You could spend a fortune to get the right look or coverage.

Led just have so many advantages and the industry is still learning how to use them.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get a color with the G5's alone that I liked. Just not the light for me, but I don't collect tenuis. The fan noise was also a turn off. Can't imagine running them at 100%.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When LEDs came out, I was toying with how to mount them side by side with the Halides so I could use Halides in the winter to get that look AND heat the house.

Would def have to do some kind of canopy, or blind on that fixture. However, I do need that middle frogspawn though, lol.
I started with a canopy but the wife didn't like the look and I didn't like reaching into it to clean the tank every week. The LED strips on the rack from my first post are from BuildmyLED which still work and are 9 years old.
When I downsized from the 300DD to a Planet 180 I only used the BML, 2 where 14K and 2 where 20K that mimic'ed the 20K Radium lamp shown in the second picture
300DD NEW 2010 (2).jpg
180 bio pellets4-3-16.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back