Reef tank plumbing help

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’m not new to saltwater, but new the plumbing world as I’ve never has a sump haha. I upgraded to a 225 gallon and going the sump route. The tank I bought is a used custom tank. I’m having some issues trying to figure out the plumbing for it. The bulkhead holes are drilled at 1.75” so I’m assuming it’s for a 1.5” bulkhead? Now it has a bean animal overflow which is 1” pvc. Then the pvc converts into 3/4” pvc. Not sure what size pvc to go with or what I’m suppose to do as I thought the drain lines should be either the same size if not larger then the return lines.

I have attached a photo of what the pvc looks like for the overflow.

Thanks for your help!

E4B1DA04-06B2-4540-A66B-69A3FE05A4ED.jpeg

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger for drain with a gate valve to limit the flow and quieten the sump. 1.5" drains and 1" returns should be just fine unless you plan on running a tremendous amount of flow. My new build will have 1" drains and .75" returns on a 125g.

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! My only issue is that my drains for the overflow are already plumbed for 1”. So I guess I can make the whole system 1”. The end of the barbed 1” pvc is measured at 3/4”. What attachment can I put on the end of it to continue using pvc?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really dont want to restrict the overflow with a vlave or reduced plumbing.
I use a 11/4" pipe going into a 1" bulkhead in the overflow.
I would remove the barbed fitting and hard plumb with 1" pvc going to your filter sock/sump
The return can have a gate of ball valve to regulate flow.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above - stay with the 1" all the way to the sump.
If you need a valve on the drain use a GATE VALVE.

emilio365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’m not new to saltwater, but new the plumbing world as I’ve never has a sump haha. I upgraded to a 225 gallon and going the sump route. The tank I bought is a used custom tank. I’m having some issues trying to figure out the plumbing for it. The bulkhead holes are drilled at 1.75” so I’m assuming it’s for a 1.5” bulkhead? Now it has a bean animal overflow which is 1” pvc. Then the pvc converts into 3/4” pvc. Not sure what size pvc to go with or what I’m suppose to do as I thought the drain lines should be either the same size if not larger then the return lines.

I have attached a photo of what the pvc looks like for the overflow.

Thanks for your help!

E4B1DA04-06B2-4540-A66B-69A3FE05A4ED.jpeg
That barb fitting was probably for the Return Line. A lot of people plumb a small piece of Silicone hose from the return pump to the return line in order to reduce vibration transfer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back