REEF VASE BUILD FOR MY 10 YEAR OLD GRANDSON

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in here. I will be starting my own build thread probably after Christmas. My goal is to build one of these to put in our living room but I have t make wife friendly so it does not look like a science project. I am still researching light fixtures to hold the ABI light which I think is going to be the most challenging part. I already ordered the ABI 12 watt bulb and am on the hunt for a suitable vase right now. How far off the top are you keeping the light and how long is it on?

OP
OP
Brad Miller

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in here. I will be starting my own build thread probably after Christmas. My goal is to build one of these to put in our living room but I have t make wife friendly so it does not look like a science project. I am still researching light fixtures to hold the ABI light which I think is going to be the most challenging part. I already ordered the ABI 12 watt bulb and am on the hunt for a suitable vase right now. How far off the top are you keeping the light and how long is it on?

Good question...
The surface of the bulb is 8” above the top of the vase.
Whatever you suspect, make sure the intense heat can be dissipated from the heat dissipation fins on the bulb. A normal fixture will allow it to overheat and burn out prematurely.

I have a par meter so I can adjust to the coral I am keeping in it.
Currently just measured for you and have 600 par at 1” below the water surface in the center.
Hard to give other readings, because of the small spaces to get the sensor, but I can tell you I have anywhere from 400 to 200 par around the bottom.
Keep in mind these readings are with the lid off and then you have reflection, rock shade ect... so I’m not really sure what im getting in there.

I’ve had the light on 5 hrs a day and the coral I have in are doing great.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those lights would’ve existed in 2001 pico reefing would be light years farther on now, we spent a good ten years just trying to figure out how to keep our tiny reefs cool. Many pics online show fan setups much larger than the actual reef lol

We had metal halide spaced four-five feet off the tanks + fan or power compacts hacked and taken apart / refitted plus huge fans

Nowadays for $25 you can get a cool running light that will grow any sps the hobby can currently offer. That light works as well as any thousand dollar led/t5 combo

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brad Miller

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is doing really well with the vase and Joey is getting the hang of it but I have to constantly remind him to slow down and be gentle while taking care of it.
We had some hair algae show up on the top part of the rocks, so we added 1 snail and 1 small hermit crab to take care of it....seems to be doing their jobs that God intended them to do...:) I wanted to show him the natural way to take care of it....we will resort to peroxide if need be.

We do have an unidentifiable root like growth on the rockwork, below are 2 pics that I marked up with arrows pointing to this.

They are flexible when touched, and come back to the position before I bend them.

Most are about 1/2 to 3/4” long with a few skinny ones about 1-1/2” long

They can be pulled off the rock and don’t have anything coming out of them like a feather duster or tube worm.

From what I know about Spaghetti worms, they don’t appear to be that either...actually looks like tiny roots growing out of the rock.

Seems to be growing in areas that are shaded to partially shaded and not on the top of the rocks where the light is stronger.

I can’t find this in any of my books or the internet, this is also in my DT but not as much, any ideas on what it may be ?

AAEE86A3-335D-41F0-A663-EF428882DA00.jpeg AFA7BE0C-519F-4AF8-98B0-0FAD427959FB.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what they are, nice diversity and rock coloration everything is in great balance you are guiding it perfectly

OP
OP
Brad Miller

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidentally got some tap water on the acro so he’s bleached right now....don’t ask me how...LOL.
his polyps Still extend and contract so I hope he hangs in there...I told Joey that he has the Corona Virus...LOL.

I was a little sloppy with the 35% peroxide and rinsing it off the rock....that isn’t as easy as it seems.

Im finding it tough to keep removing the entire rock work when doing my weekly water exchange without hurting a coral (and I only have a couple) how in the world do you remove to get any hair algae off the rock work on those vases that are packed with coral ? Or do they even have to do that when it’s matured like that ?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain and treats! Meaning drain all water.
apply one drop on algae it wicks into it.
rinse with saltwater down, now the bottom inch of water is peroxide mix but one drop nbd

fill it up to three inches w saltwater

then drain all that

then refill sw. sent video of me doing this with about fifteen drops don’t use that much ha just one or two per tuft. It’ll bleach bone white algae in three days, no rock remove

*#1 move for injured corals / temp spikes or drops/ standard reef insults for vases is drop light intensity. Most injuries and tissue sloughs are amplified by keeping typical light levels. Reduce to cloudy week for all acro burns

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back