REEF VASE: Have you ever consider keeping a reef in a vase, jar, bowl etc? Check these out!

Have you ever consider keeping a tiny reef in a vase, jar, bowl etc.?

• Yes in a vase

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • Yes in a jar

Votes: 49 12.6%
  • Yes in a bowl

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • Yes in a (tell us on the thread)

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • NO

Votes: 282 72.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that may be the best one for tidbits of info

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you mate, Appreciate it!

I also sent you this in PM

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful with this. Another reefer made a diy magnetic driven powerhead and got a nice letter from a certain manufacturer telling him to stop posting about it.

Apparently their patent makes it illegal to make one even for private use.
I'm not talking about a powerhead. More one of these:

Capture.JPG

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that may be the best one for tidbits of info

Thank you mates I appreciate it, I read few but they was since 2012, nothing earlier.
Later on I'll have a fun reading them.

The smallest flow I done ages ago was similar to the vortech using impeller from RC boat 12mm all together and chemical lab stirrer (all magnets only) the hardest thing was to find ballbearing which can't get corrosions from the SW and friend of mine on a CNC make me ceramic one, was really working well. All small only from 0 - 1200RPM controllable on pulses, and all the build got 7W - LEDs, flow, and heater (graphene one in borosilicate - pirex measuring glass ) , the cooling was similar to this one (again one of his projects I reread ages ago) I just put very thin gorilla glass between the copper radiator and the water in a pipe with 50mm OD, and in 1.5L drilled jar.

My next project is in 1G or Marina 360 10L with canister 1.3L EHEIM classic 150.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the world is that device
Old filtration system, don't member when I saw it 1st time online. Was think to buy one like because the front compartment go all for media and the water flow there.
Check And the unit to buy how it look like.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the world is that device
It's a HOB filter from the 70s/80s. Tube on the top is a siphon. Magnetic motor hangs off the bottom. Motor turns on, spins a magnetic impellar, which sucks water in through the siphon tube and into the body (which is full of filter floss) which overflows into the tank.

In our case - think false bottom with an intake and output.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found finally one of his videos: video-1 Video-2

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, thinking about this, I'd like to make a compact little system with a sealed (or at least mostly sealed) jar, pump, light, and possibly heater, with just one cord coming from it.

Not sure how I'd go about it, especially putting a timer on the lights, but I think it'd be nice to have a clean little setup that can easily be moved from place to place. Probably only/at least a gallon, just to justify all the work for the equipment.

I'm not saying this because I work construction and totally want to have a reef jar at my lunch table or anything. Especially not one I could take from site to site.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look how much top shelf coral Maritza runs in a literal fishbowl:

thats eight years running, long term is what we race for

it is terribly, terribly ironic that keeping a goldfish in that bowl is mean, but two thousand $ in corals is nice.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep aiptasia in a jar. Cant find the original pic and I know it is posted on here somewhere.

Mason jar with plastic screw on lid, small hole for light cord and tiny usb pump. Pump points up and ahi rates the top, just a little. Feed a hair of reef roids once a week and change 100% of water a few hours after feeding. I use some old tank water and that’s it.

Plan to setup a majano one when I can figure out how to get some leds with just enough power to make them grow, but not melt the cap.

Here is an edited pic lol.
82C00709-B3E3-422B-882E-3CACCC17D76E.jpeg

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep aiptasia in a jar. Cant find the original pic and I know it is posted on here somewhere.

Mason jar with plastic screw on lid, small hole for light cord and tiny usb pump. Pump points up and ahi rates the top, just a little. Feed a hair of reef roids once a week and change 100% of water a few hours after feeding. I use some old tank water and that’s it.

Plan to setup a majano one when I can figure out how to get some leds with just enough power to make them grow, but not melt the cap.

You know, in a jar it makes total sense to keep tough as nails "pests" as desirable inhabitants. I mean aiptasia has color and a fairly nice shape. Let's put it to use. How about a jar with GSP, aiptasia, zoas, and shrooms? Maybe some macros of some sort?

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is an edited pic lol.
82C00709-B3E3-422B-882E-3CACCC17D76E.jpeg

what kind of pump have you got in there?

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of pump have you got in there?
for the aiptasia you don't need pump at all to grow properly, water change like he say, food and light 100% enough to grow fast enough.
I'm keeping aiptasia in a sealed box and per 1-1.5 months I change 40-50% water, only stay under light, and that's all about it.

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mason jar with plastic screw on lid, small hole for light cord and tiny usb pump.
for the aiptasia you don't need pump at all to grow properly, water change like he say, food and light 100% enough to grow fast enough.
I'm keeping aiptasia in a sealed box and per 1-1.5 months I change 40-50% water, only stay under light, and that's all about it.
I know they don’t need it, I’ve had an aiptasia jar for six months, I changed water once, no pump, no light and I don’t feed. They’re still fine haha.
I’m setting up a 2 gallon with the picoreef led and am looking for small pump ideas :)

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they don’t need it, I’ve had an aiptasia jar for six months, I changed water once, no pump, no light and I don’t feed. They’re still fine haha.
I’m setting up a 2 gallon with the picoreef led and am looking for small pump ideas :)
Just google and pick up 200l water pump
I have this 200l
and few of this 200l
all work perfectly, probably for 2 years non stop. Pic this designs easy to control with variable voltages, most are 12V and they work from 4.5v -12v (easy to control the water current speed). 200liters per hour it's near 50g/h (if my calculations in US gallons are correct) they cost in USD $5-$9 from china mainly if you fish or look from eBay EU.

P.S. OOPS, I see now you are from Poland, you can find them easy in eBay then, just look the design tested already
you can pickup and from this LINK , but don't buy USB pumps try one not good enough I think

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just google and pick up 200l water pump
I have this 200l
and few of this 200l
all work perfectly, probably for 2 years non stop. Pic this designs easy to control with variable voltages, most are 12V and they work from 4.5v -12v (easy to control the water current speed). 200liters per hour it's near 50g/h (if my calculations in US gallons are correct) they cost in USD $5-$9 from china mainly if you fish or look from eBay EU.

P.S. OOPS, I see now you are from Poland, you can find them easy in eBay then, just look the design tested already
you can pickup and from this LINK , but don't buy USB pumps try one not good enough I think
Okay great thanks! Wow those are cheap too haha :)
Any recommendations on a tiny heater??

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back